(Minghui.org) I met Mr. Wang (an alias) near the end of 1999 when I was detained for refusing to renounce Falun Dafa, also known as Falun Gong, a mind-body practice being persecuted by the Chinese communist regime. He was a guard at the local detention center, and I had many chances to interact with him.

Because they had been brainwashed by the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) propaganda, many guards responsible for watching us treated us badly. They often yelled at us. It was snowing and extremely cold that winter when one of them shouted, “Take off their jackets! Don’t they want to do the exercises? See if they still want to if we don’t give them anything to eat and make them stand by the wall all night!”

While they were shouting, another guard, Mr. Wang, came. “Please don’t do that,” he said. “They are all good people.” Because Mr. Wang was their coworker, the other guards didn’t say anything anymore.

After interacting with us for a while, the guards realized that we were nothing like how the CCP’s media described us. Our kindness moved them. Some of them befriended us. Sometimes, however, they were pressured by the authorities and had to put up a show every now and then. I was once locked in a solitary cell and my access to the bathroom was restricted. Mr. Wang was gone at the time. When he came back, I had already been released from the cell. He felt sorry that he wasn't able to protect me while he was away.

My illegal detention put enormous stress on my husband and it affected his job. When he went home, he saw our six-year-old son outside the apartment building alone, waiting for him to get off work. Hounded by the family and others, he started to resent me. One day, he lost his sanity. He came to the detention center and started hitting and kicking me. Mr. Wang stopped him just as he was about to kick me in the back, which could have caused me serious injury.

When Mr. Wang was on duty, he often brought in his four-year-old grandson and we played with him. Another practitioner once gave the little boy a small Falun Dafa badge that she had hidden on her. Mr. Wang held the small badge in his hand and kept saying, “This is a good thing. This is a good thing.”

We were detained there for a long time. Just before the Qingming Festival, Mr. Wang said, “I will make sure you have dumplings for the holiday.” So he brought in all the ingredients from home and prepared them for us.

When we were later sent to a forced labor camp, Mr. Wang went to visit my son and my elderly parents for me. Once, Mr. Wang's daughter went on business to the city where I was detained, and he asked his wife to go with her and pretend to be my “mother-in-law” so that they could visit me in the forced labor camp.

Mr. Wang has treated Dafa practitioners kindly and supported us ever since the persecution began. Even now, when I go out to clarify the truth, I often see him. He accepts whatever I have in hand and tells whoever is nearby, “These are great. I often read them. Every time I do, I have a deeper understanding, so I keep reading them.” His comments prompt others to take my information and read it.

Mr. Wang’s kindness has blessed him. His children are all doing very well. He often helps us distribute information about Falun Gong and advises his friends to read them to truly understand it. One year, when Mr. Wang was very sick, many people thought he would never recover. But he did and has been very healthy ever since.