(Minghui.org) Ms. Tan Changrong's three-year prison term ended on February 26, 2018. After being released, she used her real name to submit a report on September 2, 2018, describing the torture she had been subjected to in Chongqing Women's Prison to the Chongqing Municipal Justice Department and the Prison Administration Department, in violation of existing prison laws. In response, Ms. Tan, 69, was arrested on October 15. She was taken to the Hechuan Detention Center.

Arrested for Filing Complaints About Torture in Prison

Six people went to Ms. Tan's home on September 6, 2018, including Li Xiaojuan and Chen from the prison, the director of the Tongnan District Political and Legal Affairs Committee (PLAC), a PLAC section head with the surname Peng, and two village committee officials.

They said that they came for a follow-up visit, to see if she had any difficulties in her daily life. Ms. Tan told them that she was close to 70 and that her land had been confiscated and was not returned, her roof was leaking, there was no monetary assistance, she had a hard time making a living, and other issues. Although she had reported the problems to the village and town governments, nothing had been done.

She told them that she planned to go to Beijing to petition for changes. Peng demanded she not go to Beijing and said they would solve the problems for her as soon as possible.

Ms. Tan then delivered a complaint and appeal letters to the local government, and spoke with the director of PLAC. The director exploded in anger, pounded the table, and yelled that she was anti-Party and anti-people. His shouting attracted a crowd from other offices. Ms. Tan took the opportunity to present facts about Falun Gong. The crowd listened and appeared to understand what she said.

People went back to their offices, and no one disagreed or argued with her. Others stopped by, and Ms. Tan told them about the persecution. The director took out his cell phone, demanded that she face him when talking, and began to videotape her.

Ms. Tan was arrested when she went to the Tai'an Police Station on the morning of October 15, 2018, to deliver the complaint and appeal letters detailing the abuse she endured in the Chongqing Women's Prison.

That afternoon, Ms. Tan's elder sister received a phone call from Li, who was likely a Domestic Security officer. Li told her that Ms. Tan was detained at the Tongnan District Police Department. Li called again on October 16 and told the sister that Ms. Tan had been transferred to the Hechuan Detention Center.

Nine-Year Term Served in Chongqing Women's Prison

Ms. Tan was sentenced to nine years in prison in 2005. She was held in the No. 4 Ward in Chongqing Women's Prison, where she was tortured for refusing to be “transformed.” She was forced to work for over ten hours a day. The No. 4 Ward housed prisoners who committed serious crimes. Most had received death sentences that had been reprieved or were sentenced to life imprisonment.

Three Year Prison Term

A man was standing outside Ms. Tan's home at around noontime on March 27, 2015. He said that he was waiting for someone. Ms. Tan gave him a stool to sit on. She then told him the facts about Falun Gong and gave him brochures. The man immediately called the Tai'an Police Station and reported Ms. Tan to the police. She was arrested and held in the county detention center. She was later sentenced to three years in prison.

Ms. Tan was taken to the No. 1 Ward of Chongqing Women's Prison in late September 2015. Tang Anzhi, a prison guard, ordered inmates to torture Falun Gong practitioners. Tang herself also beat and cursed at Ms. Tan, and shocked her with an electric baton for an extended period of time. Tang also tried to force Ms. Tan to write statements promising to stop practicing Falun Gong.

Recovered from Illnesses Within a Week of Practicing Falun Gong

Before Ms. Tan started practicing Falun Gong, she suffered from many illnesses, including tracheitis, back pain, nephritis, stomach pain, and headaches. She had to take medicine and infusions every day.

She had suffered head injuries in 1985 after being knocked to the ground by a panel that fell off a truck. She subsequently experienced headaches and felt groggy and befuddled. Despite seeking various treatments, none were effective in restoring her health.

Ms. Tan started practicing Falun Gong in 1997, and within a week all of her illnesses had disappeared, and her health was fully restored.