(Minghui.org) Ms. Sun Min, a Falun Gong practitioner from Liaoning Province, was arrested for her faith in Falun Gong in June 2016, and given a seven-year sentence in July 2017. Shortly after being incarcerated in Liaoning Province Women’s Prison, however, guards told her father on a phone call that she had been diagnosed with several serious diseases, and was on the verge of dying, even though she had been in good health. The guards also asked her father to give them money for her to get medical treatment.

Father not given the opportunity to visit the detained daughter

After the lower court sentencing in July 2017, Ms. Sun appealed to Anshan City Intermediate Court, but her appeal was rejected a month later by Judge Liu Wenna. The court did not notify Ms. Sun’s family of the court decision, so her father only learned about her situation in early September.

He went to the lower court judge, Wang Yihan, to get a copy of the verdict, because without it he was not permitted to visit her in the detention center. However, Wang refused to meet with him, saying that she had not received the written verdict. As a result of the delay, Ms. Sun’s father never had a chance to see her during the entire month she was held in the detention center before being transferred to prison.

In critical condition a few days after being transferred to prison

Ms. Sun was transferred to the 12th prison district in Liaoning Women’s Prison on October 10, 2017. Three days later, on October 13, guards called Ms. Sun’s father, but he was not home. Guards called again on October 18 to ask Sun’s father to pay her medical costs.

After Sun’s father refused to give them money, guards Hu and Chen went to Sun’s home on October 31, and told her family that she had been diagnosed with several serious diseases, which might cause her to die without immediate medical attention. They attempted to have her father sign a document, but he refused to do so without seeing her in person. Hu said that the prison was repairing the gate at the main entrance, so he had to wait for them to call. Ms. Sun’s father has not seen her since her arrest on June 28, 2016.