(Minghui.org) A 37-year-old man from Mishan City has spent nearly half of his life either in detention or eluding arrest for his faith.

Mr. Fan Mingsheng was 21 when he was sent to a forced labor camp for two years for refusing to renounce Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline being persecuted by the Chinese communist regime. He suffered a mental collapse as a result of the relentless abuse and torture he endured in the camp.

His release in 2003 didn’t bring much respite, as the local authorities kept him under tight surveillance.

Fast forward to August 2006 when police officers crashed their cruiser into Mr. Fan on purpose as he was riding home on his motorcycle.

Mr. Fan was severely injured, but an officer said in front of the first responders, “Too bad he didn’t die at the scene!”

Instead of holding the officers responsible, the local authorities threatened to send Mr. Fan to a labor camp again.

Mr. Fan fled home with his wife and baby daughter, but he was captured again in February 2009 and given 6 months of forced labor.

He and his family went into hiding again after his release. His whereabouts are unknown.

Below is an account of some of the suffering that Mr. Fan has endured since the persecution of Falun Gong began.

Drugged in Mental Health Hospital

In the spring of 2001, Mr. Fan was arrested and taken to Mishan Mental Health Hospital for practicing Falun Gong. He was forcibly injected with unknown drugs, making him weak, incontinent, and in a coma for three days. When he was conscious, he was forced to take chlorpromazine, which brings on symptoms of severe mental disorder.

He was then given electric shock at the maximum power, supposedly to treat the symptoms caused by chlorpromazine. He convulsed and foamed at the mouth. He suffered serious brain damage. He had such a severe headache that he had to sit in one position for more than five hours to keep the pain at bay.

Mr. Fan was released from the mental hospital after 53 days. However, he was arrested again less than six months later. He went on a hunger strike in the detention center to protest the illegal detention. He was force-fed through a rubber tube that remained in his nose for several days.

Within a week, Mr. Fan started to develop symptoms of severe dehydration. To avoid legal liabilities if he died, the detention center released him after extorting several hundred yuan from his family.

Mr. Fan was still closely watched after his release. To avoid being arrested again, he left home in the middle of the night. But he was caught the next morning and taken to Jixi Forced Labor Camp the same day.

Without due process, Mr. Fan was given two years in a forced labor camp. He was 21 at the time.

Tortured in Jixi Forced Labor Camp

Like other practitioners, Mr. Fan was forced to watch derogatory videotapes about Falun Gong. He was severely beaten every time he told anyone the facts about Falun Gong.

He was also forced to sit on a small stool every day. He was not allowed to do the Falun Gong exercises or talk to other practitioners.

When Mr. Fan complained about the persecution in an open letter, he was closely watched by inmates. His hair was shaved like a criminal’s.

Mr. Fan was often beaten and tied up. On one occasion, his hands and legs were tied together with a nylon rope, in a position in which both his chest and legs were up in the air and his abdomen supported his weight. The rope cut into his skin, he became short of breath, and his limbs went numb.

Mr. Fan went on hunger strikes several times to protest the abuse. He was brutally force-fed with a supersaturated saline solution through a plastic tube inserted into his nose and down to his stomach. He soon developed a high fever and bloody diarrhea. That night he used the restroom for more than a dozen times. The guards became worried and rushed him to the hospital, where the doctors discovered the saline solution had dissolved his gastric mucosa (membrane of the stomach). When he was brought back to the labor camp, however, he was again tied to a bed.

In April 2002, Mr. Fan suffered a mental collapse as a result of the relentless torture. He was tied to a stair railing and gagged with rags to keep him from shouting. He was also deceived into signing a repentance statement.

Mr. Fan was released in July 2003, but he was closely watched by the police.

Deliberately Hit and Disabled by Police

Oh his way home after talking to people about Falun Gong on August 11, 2006, Mr. Fan was deliberately hit and disabled by Mishan County police officers. He was taken to a hospital, but the police arranged for him to pay the bill.

Mr. Fan only stayed in the hospital for eight days because his family had no more money. He did the Falun Gong exercises after he got home. Five days later he could stand, and a month later he could walk again.

After recovering from his injuries, Mr. Fan hired an attorney to sue the officers who had hit him.

In response, Mishan Police Department officials threatened Mr. Fan's attorney and fabricated evidence to get Mr. Fan sent to a forced labor camp. He took his wife and daughter and moved away to avoid the arrest.

Illegally Incarcerated Again

Mr. Fan was arrested again in February 2009 and detained in the Suihua Forced Labor Camp for six months. When he reported that several inmates had beaten other practitioners, the inmates beat him. Instead of punishing the inmates, the guards extended Mr. Fan’s term by one month.

Family Members and Relatives Suffered As Well

Mr. Fan's family also suffered from the persecution. His wife was illegally arrested twice. His mother developed insomnia because of the harassment from local police officers and governmental agents. His father developed heart disease and his sister did not make it into a good college due to the stress of the persecution.

At least nine of Mr. Fan's relatives who also practiced Falun Gong suffered in a similar manner. One of his second cousins was tortured to death in 2010, while others were detained in forced labor camps for several years. Several others were sent to brainwashing centers.

Related Report:Fan Mingsheng from Heilongjiang Province Deliberately Disabled by the Police