(Minghui.org) An imprisoned Harbin resident was beaten by the authorities in recent months for refusing to renounce Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline being persecuted by the Chinese communist regime.

Mr. Sun Kaiqing was arrested on September 29, 2014 after being reported for distributing Falun Gong informational materials. He was released on bail 43 days later when he had bouts of explosive diarrhea. The 65-year-old retiree of Harbin Normal University was taken back into custody in December 2015 and soon sentenced to 4.5 years in prison.

The guards at Hulan Prison tried, unsuccessfully, to force Mr. Sun to give up his belief. They then abused him in various ways.

This is not the first time that Mr. Sun has been detained or tortured. The past 16 years have seen him repeatedly arrested for his faith. He spent a total of 5 years serving three terms at Changlinzi Labor Camp, where he was severely injured from torture.

Mr. Sun filed a criminal complaint in June 2015 against former Chinese dictator Jiang Zemin for ordering the persecution of Falun Gong that resulted in his incarcerations and torture.

Below is an excerpt from his criminal complaint.

Tortured Since First Arrest

I was first arrested on November 7, 2000 while doing Falun Gong exercises on Tiananmen Square. The police kept me cuffed to a tree in the courtyard of Yongding Police Station for a whole night.

The inmates greeted me with beatings and other forms of abuse when I was transferred to Mentougou Detention Center. They poured cold water all over me before scalding me with boiling water. My back sustained severe burn injuries.

The guards and inmates then took turns standing on top of my thighs and rubbing my flesh with their shoes. They also lit cigarettes to burn my fingers. As if that was not enough, they spanked my buttocks with a wooden board until they were covered with bruises. They then rubbed chili powder into my wounds.

I was later taken back to Harbin, detained for 50 more days, and fined 4,000 yuan. My school suspended me upon my release and gave me only a meager stipend, which stopped in 2004.

First Term of Forced Labor

I was given two years of forced labor in November 2001.

Captain Wang Zhanqi ordered several inmates to hang me up to the top bunk bed on January 20, 2002. When I went on a hunger strike in protest, they shocked me with electric batons and force-fed me corn starch mixed with salt. My mouth and nose bled profusely, and I couldn’t stop vomiting every time I was force-fed.

I was hung up again in June 2002 for three straight days when I rebutted the guards’ slander of Falun Gong. Two months later, I was placed in solitary confinement and kept there for nearly one month.

After taking me out of solitary confinement, the guards forced me to sit in a chair with my limbs tied up for one week, during which time I wasn’t allowed to use the restroom.

Starting in September 2002, the guards put me through other forms of torture. They forced me to squat for 18 hours a day for more than 40 days. I was only allowed two bathroom breaks and three meal breaks each day.

An inmate named Yang Xiaodong hit me with a small bench, pricked me with needles, burned me with lighters, poked me with sharp darts, whipped me with rubber tubes, and even squeezed my genitals. He also poured cold water down my collar and smeared mustard oil into my nostril.

Another inmate placed a toothbrush in between my left index finger and middle finger. He then pinched tight the two fingers and twisted the toothbrush handle. My fingers immediately bled.

The guards later forced me to stay in a room with windows wide open. It was minus 20 celsius outside, but there was no bedding provided. I suffered severe frostbites as a result. Even today, I still have to wear multiple layers in the summer, and my feet remain swollen.

Two More Forced Labor Terms

I was arrested in September 2004 and soon given two years of forced labor.

Just over one year after my release, I was arrested again and taken to Nangang District Detention Center, where inmates gave me three rounds of beatings within the first 20 hours of my admission. My throat was severely injured after they put me in a chokehold. I had trouble talking and swallowing afterwards.

The authorities proceeded to give me one year of forced labor in May 2008. I was again tortured on a regular basis at Changlinzi Labor Camp.

Captain Yang Jintang once kept me immobilized in a chair with my limbs tied up for 8 straight days. The ropes cut into my wrists and ankles. They poured cold water all over me whenever I dozed off.


Jiang Zemin, as head of the CCP, overrode other Politburo standing committee members and launched the violent suppression of Falun Gong in July 1999.

The persecution has led to the deaths of many Falun Gong practitioners over the past 17 years. More have been tortured for their belief, and even killed for their organs. Jiang is directly responsible for the inception and continuation of the brutal persecution.

Under his personal direction, the CCP established an extralegal security organ, the 610 Office, on June 10, 1999. This organization overrides the police and the judicial system in carrying out Jiang's policy regarding Falun Gong: to ruin their reputations, cut off their financial resources, and destroy them physically.

Chinese law now allows for citizens to be plaintiffs in criminal cases, and many practitioners are exercising this right to file criminal complaints against the former dictator.

Related Reports:

Imprisoned Heilongjiang Man On Hunger Strike to Protest Guard BeatingsMr. Sun Kaiching on Hunger Strike to Resist Persecution at Changlinzi Forced Labor CampTorture Techniques at the Changlinzi Labor Camp in Harbin City Used Against Falun Gong Practitioners