(Minghui.org) Ms. Wu Chunyan, nearly 70, was arrested on June 22, 2016, by officers from Chengguan Town Police Station while talking to people about about the communist regime's persecution of Falun Gong.

Policer ransacked her home and destroyed photos of the founder of Falun Gong and two banners displaying the emblem of the spiritual discipline. Officer took away a desktop computer, a printer, several Falun Gong books, and other personal belongings.

Ms. Wu is detained in the No.2 Detention Center of Shijiazhuang City. Her case has been transferred to the prosecution division in the Procuratorate. Her family has hired a lawyer to defend her.

Arrested and Detained Repeatedly

Before she began practicing Falun Gong, Ms. Wu had severe uterine fibroids and diabetes. She had tried many treatments to cure her illnesses, but all were unsuccessful. At the age of 36, her medical condition was well-known by many friends and hospital staff. After she took up the practice of Falun Gong and began following the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance, she recovered from her diseases without taking medicine.

Since the persecution of Falun Gong began in July 1999, Ms. Wu has been arrested, detained, and jailed many times. She was sentenced to seven years in 2008 for refusing to recant her belief in Falun Gong. She was released in 2015. The authorities extorted more than 13,000 yuan over the span of her detention.

Ms. Wu went to Beijing in 1999 to petition the government for her right to practice Falun Gong. Police sent her back home and extorted 10,630 yuan from her in “guarantee funds” and “transportation cost.”

She was sent to two years of forced labor in 2000 without any legal procedure. She was rejected by the force labor camp and released after being detained at the Jinzhou Police Department for 14 days.

She suffered another 50-day detention in 2001 for talking to people about Falun Gong and the persecution. Police extorted another 3,000 yuan before she was allowed to go home.

She was again arrested and detained for one day and one night in 2004.

Ms. Wu and her brother Wu Changlin were arrested at their parent's home on June 5, 2008. Four other practitioners were arrested at the same time. Ms. Wu was sentenced to seven years in jail. The others were sentenced to two and four years.

Daughter Calls for Her Release

Ms. Wu’s daughters are worried about their mother. Her oldest daughter is in poor health. Her younger daughter has a baby who used to be cared for by Ms. Wu. With her mother detained, she is unable to work. Her younger daughter decided to write a public letter to Qin Meng, head of Chengguan Town Police Station, in hopes that their mother would be released soon.

The following is an excerpt from her daughter's public letter:

My mother, Wu Chunyan has been detained at the No.2 Detention Center of Shijiazhuang City since June 21, 2016. The case is being handled by the Chengguan Town Police Station of Jinzhou City. As her daughter, I would like to tell you what a good and honest mother she is.

My mom is an ordinary housewife. She suffered severe uterine fibroids in 1987 after giving the birth to me and had to have her uterus removed. Two years later, she was diagnosed with diabetes. At the age of 36, she couldn't live without taking several drugs.

In 1996, she started to practice Falun Gong. Since she began the practice and started following the principals of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance, she hasn't needed to take any medicine at all. She became healthy and energetic, as well as honest, kind, and patient.

My father died in 2000. No matter how much hardship we have suffered over the past 20 years, my main concern now is that she has good health and the freedom to believe in what she feels is right.

As a new mother, I realize how difficult it has been for my mom to raise two young daughters without a husband to help.

My mother was sentenced to jail for seven years in 2008. I still cannot imagine how she spent day and night in jail. I was allowed to visit her once a month. Watching her grow older and thinner is heart-wrenching. I went through seven years without my mom. To those or us outside jail it may seem like a short period of time. However, how many seven years are there in one's life?

My mom was finally released in the summer of 2015. We had our mother at home, and the children had their grandmother. Life seemed normal again...

After only one year as a family, the nightmare came back. She was taken away by police again on June 22, 2016. My sister was shocked and fell sick in bed a few days after my mom was taken away.

My mother has always treasured moral character. She is an honest and kind person. She has always taught us since we were young that “Suffering is a blessing; always think of others; everything one does is watched by heaven; do everything with a clear conscience.”

I write this letter to tell you how a loving daughter is looking forward to seeing her mother back home. My mom is nearly 70 years old. If she is detained again, it's hard to imagine how bad the situation may get! It is a matter of life and death!

We have hired a lawyer for our mom because we know “the citizens have freedom of belief,” as stated in the Constitution. We also hope you will consider our family and help us to get my mom back home.

Please help a daughter fulfill her filial respect for her mother. Please help an elderly woman spend her remaining years in peace at home, where she belongs. We will do our best to get our mother released from jail and take good care of her.

Thank you!

Responsible parties:
Jinzhou City Police Department: +86-311-84322750
Jin Delong (靳德永), head of the police departmentJinzhou City Procuratorate: +86-311-84488952Gao Cumin (高鲁民), head of the Jinzhou City ProcuratorateJinzhou City Court: +86-311-84322272Ji Lanshen (纪兰生), head of the city courtJi Zhantian (纪占田), director of Jinzhou City 610 Office: +86-18731149908Chenguan Police Station: +86-311-84326110Qin Meng (秦猛), head of the police station: +86-13784294850