(Minghui.org) Ms. Huang Qian from Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province was tried in mid-December on charges of using a cult to undermine law enforcement, a standard pretext used by the Chinese communist regime in its persecution of Falun Gong practitioners.

The former worker from Guangzhou Book Center was arrested in February of this year after blogging about her previous five arrests for refusing to give up her belief in Falun Gong. Titled “Gulag Memoirs,” her posts documented how she was repeatedly arrested, detained and tortured since the persecution of Falun Gong began in 1999.

Lawyers Demand Acquittal, Prosecutor Recommends Prison Sentence

Ms. Huang's two lawyers pointed out that there has never been any law that criminalizes Falun Gong and the persecution lacks legal basis from the onset. In addition, her posts on social media caused no harm to anyone, let alone undermine law enforcement.

The lawyers also uncovered legal procedure violations by the police. The arresting officers didn't show a warrant when seizing Ms. Huang from her home on February 3. They instead signed a warrant the following day. Ms. Huang was also tortured in the detention center, causing back injuries that flared up in the middle of the December hearing.

The prosecutor ignored the lawyers' arguments and said to Judge Zou Shifa: “Many Falun Gong practitioners around the country have been sentenced to prison in similar cases. I recommend a sentence between 3.5 and 7.5 years.”

The lawyers refuted, “Those are all unjust sentences, as the persecution is illegal from the beginning. We demand acquittal for our client!”

Judge Zou, who has sentenced many local practitioners to prison, adjourned the hearing without issuing a verdict.

Family Barred from Attending “Public Trial”

The trial was held in a small room at Haizhu District Court on December 15. There were many plainclothes agents in front of the courthouse. One lady who refused to show her ID was taken away right before the trial started.

People interested in attending the hearing were required to apply for a pass the day before the trial, but many didn't get in, as the room only had 16 seats for spectators.

Ms. Huang's family members received a call on December 14, instructing them to stay put at home and wait for the verdict. At the time of writing, they still haven't heard from the court regarding the fate of their loved one.

Related articles:Ms. Huang Qian Arrested for Exposing Persecution on InternetMs. Huang Qian Arrested and Facing Trial for Allegedly Rescuing Her Brother in Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province