(Minghui.org) Ms. Liu Guihua has been detained multiple times and imprisoned twice since the persecution of Falun Gong began in July 1999.

Her family has been torn apart. Her husband divorced her while she was imprisoned, leaving their children to fend for themselves.

Ms. Liu, 48, is from Linsui County in Sichuan Province. She began practicing Falun Gong in June 1997.

Arrested and Detained

Ms. Liu and her younger sister were arrested by Dingping police on December 18, 1999. Domestic Security police ransacked her home and confiscated her Falun Gong books and other personal belongings.

Ms. Liu and her sister were held for two days at the police station. They were forced to lay on a cold floor in the basement at night because officers refused to give them the blankets their family members had dropped off for them.

They were transferred to a detention center on December 20 and held there until March 20, 2000. Ms. Liu was handcuffed for 11 days during their detention because she did the Falun Gong exercises.

After Ms. Liu was released in 2000, she found out that her 15-year-old son had dropped out of school to work part-time out of town, leaving her 12-year-old daughter alone at home.

Ms. Liu was arrested for the second time on June 27, 2000, when she went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong. Police escorted her to a detention center in her hometown, where she was held for 15 days.

One police officer often harassed her at home after she was released. She was forced to leave home and become destitute to avoid further persecution.

Police officers then harassed Ms. Liu's daughter at school and questioned her about her mother's whereabouts.

Imprisoned Twice

Ms. Liu was arrested for the third time on January 3, 2002, in Chongqing. She was held in various places for about 20 days before being transferred to the Banan District Detention Center.

A guard beat her with a rubber baton more than 30 times. Her entire lower body was black and bruised. She was then shackled with 88-pound weights for the whole day.

Ms. Liu was sentenced to four years in October 2002 and taken to the Chongqing Women's Prison on December 25. Her husband divorced her during this time. She was released on January 2, 2006.

She was arrested again in February 2007 and held for 15 days.

On March 9, 2009, she was arrested after someone reported her to the authorities for distributing Falun Gong informational materials in Dingping Town. Three officers arrested her and ransacked her home.

Ms. Liu was sentenced to four years in prison on September 10, 2009 and taken to Chengdu Woman’s Prison on September 15, 2009.

She was forced to attend brainwashing sessions and had to stand up for long periods of time. She was deprived of sleep and forced to run for a long time under the baking sun. Ms. Liu was released on March 9, 2013.

Continually Persecuted

On April 16, she was forced by the 610 Office to attend brainwashing sessions in Wusheng County for 56 days until she was released on June 9, 2013.

Ms. Liu's most recent arrest was on July 25, 2014, during a mass arrest of practitioners in Linsui County. Police ransacked Ms. Liu's home and confiscated her Falun Gong books, cell phone, and two computers.

Ms. Liu was detained in a guest home and went on a hunger strike to protest her arrest. She was released two days later.