Summary of Key Persecution Facts:
Liu Xia (刘霞)



Dalian City
Occupation : Teacher
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
March 4, 2013

Most Recent Place of Detention:
Tianhe Detention Center (天河公安分局看守所)
Detention City:
Detention Province:
Persecution Suffered:
Electric shock, forced labor, illegal sentencing, beatings, hanging by handcuffs, imprisonment, torture, physical restraint, interrogation, detention.

Ms. Liu Xia went to Guangzhou to visit her old friends during the 2013 Chinese New Year. On the morning of March 4, 2013, she went shopping in the Shipai area of the city. She disappeared and no one knew where she was for almost a week.

Her relatives finally received a call on March 10, 2013, from a detention center, confirming that she was in a detention center in the Shipai area of Guangzhou. The most likely place would be the Tianhe Detention Center.

Ms. Liu Xia was a senior teacher at the Academic Department of Dalian City Zhongshan District Teacher Training School. She has been very healthy and has worked very diligently since she began practicing Falun Dafa. Her academic achievements have been very impressive. She has published quite a few articles and received many academic awards. She is an invaluable employee.

Ms. Liu has been arrested many times for practicing Falun Dafa. She has been held in detention centers, a forced labor camp, and in prison. Out of the 14 years that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has been persecuting Falun Gong, Ms. Liu Xia has been in prison or a forced labor camp for more than nine and a half.

Tortured in Masanjia Forced Labor Camp

Because Ms. Liu made a request to appeal her case, on December 5, 2008, guard Zhang Zhuohui pulled out a chunk of her hair and tore her scalp.

About 18 months later, on May 16, 2009, police officers hung her by her handcuffs until she fainted. After she lost consciousness, the police held her hand to force her into signing the three statements document. They also wrote statements that defamed the founder of Falun Gong, Mr. Li Hongzhi, on her clothing. When Ms. Liu woke up, Zhang Huan showed the paper to her and said, “This is the three statements that you signed” and read it to her.

Ms. Liu recorded the horrible mistreatment Masanjia Forced Labor Camp in a notebook, but the guards took it away. The guards retaliated on August 3, 2010, by beating her so severely that she was in a coma for five days. Her face was black and blue, and did not return to normal until ten days later. She became dull, her brain reacted slowly, and her eyesight also degenerated. Her term was arbitrarily extended by 50 days.

Ms. Liu Xia told the commander of Group 1, Wang Yanping, that she was breaking the law by beating the inmates. Wang did not agree and shouted at Ms. Liu Xia, “Do you know how I was promoted to this position? It's because I beat people.” While Wang Yanping was beating Ms. Liu with an electric baton, she shouted, “The CCP gave me a big box of new electric batons. They are used specifically for those who do not obey my orders.”

Guangzhou City Tianhe District Detention Center No. 5 Community, Tangxiashangshe, Tianhe District, Guangzhou City Switchboard: +86-20-85660279