(Minghui.org) Ms. Zhang Guozhen, a Falun Gong practitioner in Nong'an County, Jilin Province, was arrested and interrogated by local police on November 2, 2012. During the interrogation, police officers ordered Ms. Zhang to be hung-up by her thumbs. They beat her with wooden batons and plastic tubes, which resulted in a comminuted fracture and permanent nerve damage in one of her legs.

Currently, Ms. Zhang is being illegally detained at Nong'an County Detention Center. The family has not been allowed to visit her for five and a half months.

Torture: Hung-up by Her Thumbs, Beaten with Wooden Batons and Plastic Tubes

On November 3, 2012, Ms. Zhang Guozhen received a phone call from an acquaintance's wife, asking her to come to her home. When Ms. Zhang arrived, police officers were waiting to take her into custody.

The same day, Ms. Zhang was detained at the Nong'an County Detention Center. On November 5, she was pulled out of her cell for interrogation at 7 a.m.

During the interrogation, Tang Ke, head of the Domestic Security Division, ordered Ms. Zhang to be hung-up by her thumbs. Four officers then beat her with wooden batons and plastic tubes. They attempted to force her to betray other Falun Gong practitioners, but Ms. Zhang refused to say anything.

By the time she was sent back at 9 p.m., she could no longer stand, much less walk. The guards, however, forced her to walk by herself.

Sweat covered her face, and she couldn't stop shivering because of pain. Her pants were stuck to her legs with dried blood. The criminal inmates even begged a guard to get a doctor. When the doctor cut her pants open, he found that her legs were covered with blood. Her thighs, bottom, and body were purple. As a result of the vicious beating, Ms. Zhang couldn't move her arms and legs. She could not talk and even had trouble breathing because of chest pain. Many of the inmates in the cell block wept when they saw her injuries. Someone asked the guard, “How could you beat her like this?” The guard said, “Who saw her being beaten? She was injured by getting stuck between some things.” The guard forced Ms. Zhang and the doctor to say that she was injured for that same reason.

Ms. Zhang's injuries were so horrendous that she couldn't get out of bed. She didn't have the strength to talk, eat, or stand and lost feeling in one of her legs. When she was eventually sent to Jilin Provincial Hospital, the doctors found that the nerves in one of her legs had been damaged. She also had a comminuted fracture in her leg.

Ms. Zhang was taken back to Nong'an County Detention Center on November 6. She could not walk normally, and the guards did not allow anyone to talk to her or be in close proximity. Family visits have been forbidden.

Ms. Zhang has an eighty-year-old mother who needs care. Since she was arrested, her sister and other relatives have tried to visit, but their requests were rejected. When they went to the appeal office at the police department, an officer with the last name of Lu attempted to shift the blame to others.

Ms. Zhang and Her Husband Arrested and Detained Multiple Times

Ms. Zhang Guozhen is in her fifties and is a retired employee of the Nong'an County Refinery Factory. She started practicing Falun Gong in 1997, and within less than two months, her health problems such as stomach pain and neurasthenia disappeared. After she personally experienced the miracles of Dafa, she tried hard to strictly follow the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. These changes helped bring her ill-tempered husband to cultivation practice as well. Since then, the family has been living in harmony. Everyone who witnessed the changes in the family admired the power of Dafa.

Since the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) launched the persecution against Falun Gong in 1999, Ms. Zhang has been persecuted, detained and sent to forced labor camps multiple times.

On July 22, 1999, Ms. Zhang went to the Changchun municipal government to appeal and was illegally detained at an elementary school.

On October 28, 2000, Ms. Zhang went to Beijing to appeal and was arrested and taken to Nong'an County Detention Center. After being held for 22 days, she was sent to Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp in Changchun for two years. After being tortured mentally and physically for prolonged periods, she suffered a relapse of the heart and stomach diseases that she had before becoming a Falun Gong practitioner. She was unable to take care of herself and was released on December 31, 2000. While she was detained, Liu Shangkuan, head of the Political and Security Section extorted 2,000 yuan from her employer.

In late May 2001, Ms. Zhang was arrested by Liu Shangkuan and Zhang Bing, who sent her for further interrogation and torture at the Wugongli Detention Center. Several days later, she was sent to the county detention center. She then suffered a heart attack and was released.

Police from the Fifth Division of criminal police and the Political and Security Section in the Nong'an County Police Department, along with officers from Debiao Police Station broke into Ms. Zhang's house at night on November 7, 2002 and arrested her husband and son. She was not home at the time, so the police proceeded to ransack the house and took away Dafa books, a cell phone and 6,000 yuan, etc. Ms. Zhang's husband was later detained and suffered various torture methods such as being hung-up, put on the tiger bench and shocked with electric batons. The family demanded his release, but the police claimed that if they couldn't locate Ms. Zhang, they would not release her husband. Later, Yu Hongquan, head of the Political and Security Section extorted 6,000 yuan from the family before releasing the husband. However, within a month of Ms. Zhang's spouse returning home, he was arrested and sent to Chaoyang Forced Labor Camp in Changchun for a year and a half.

Ms. Zhang was forced to leave home to avoid further persecution. Officers from Debiao Police Station and the 610 Office monitored her home 24 hours a day and often broke into her house to threaten her son. The police also went to her son's school to monitor him. They also went to her sibling's homes to harass them. On the eve of the Chinese New Year in 2003, they even harassed Ms. Zhang's 78-year-old mother.

Related article:
 “Jilin Province: Falun Gong Practitioner Ms. Zhang Guozhen Tortured and Interrogated”