Summary of Key Persecution Facts:

Name: Wu Jiajun (吴加俊)
Gender: Male
Age: 59
Address: Laizhou City, Shandong Province
Occupation: Electrical maintenance
Date of Most Recent Arrest: February 28, 2012
Most Recent Place of Detention: Shandong Prison (山东监狱)
City: Jinan
Province: Shandong
Persecution Suffered: Illegal sentencing, imprisonment, detention

Mr. Wu Jiajun, 59, from Laizhou City, Shandong Province was arrested at the end of February 2012 and illegally sentenced to three years in prison. He has been denied visitation rights by the authorities of the Shandong Prison where he has been detained.

Mr. Wu was doing electrical maintenance for a living. He started practicing Falun Gong in 1999, and he strictly followed the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance, and strived to be a good person and citizen. He enjoyed helping others and voluntarily fixed computers and printers for people. However, instead of being recognized and praised by the authorities, such a warm-hearted person has been subjected to persecution.

Sentenced to Three Years in Prison

Mr. Wu has been denied visitation rights since he was arrested on February 28, 2012 by police officers from the Laizhou Domestic Security Division. His family heard a rumor in November 2012 that he had been sentenced to three years in prison. Only when they went to the local court and the Domestic Security Division on December 10, 2012 to confirm the news, were they allowed to see him.

When the family went to the Laizhou Detention Center again on January 10, 2013, they were told that Mr. Wu had been transferred to the Shandong Prison the day before. However, the family was not notified of the transfer.

No Notification to the Family of Transfer

The family did not receive any official notification of the transfer from the Shandong Prison, and they were very worried about Mr. Wu's health. They went to the prison on April 8 and asked to visit him. The person at the front desk told them, “Families are not allowed to visit without official notification.” After repeated requests to see Mr. Wu, the family was finally told that he was hospitalized. The prison staff, however, refused to tell them which hospital he was at.

Long-term Hospitalization

Mr. Wu's son luckily had an acquaintance in Jinan, and after going through a lot of trouble, the family found out that Mr. Wu was sent to the Shandong Province General Hospital of the Police Force. The family hurried to the hospital and after negotiating, they were allowed to see Mr. Wu through a glass window for five minutes. The family asked Mr. Wu when he was hospitalized and he said on January 29. The family asked him what illness had caused him to be hospitalized and he said probably because of arrhythmia, however, the family was stopped before they could finish their conversation.

After returning home, the family grew more and more skeptical—Mr. Wu was hospitalized just for arrhythmia? Are the prison authorities really that concerned? Merciless murders happen all the time in the prison system under the communist rule. Mr. Wu had been hospitalized for several months and why with an illness like arrhythmia, had it not been cured? Did Mr. Wu really receive medical treatment at the hospital? Why was the family not notified or asked to pay for the medical expenses? Is Mr. Wu really sick, or is his condition more serious?

Family Worried about Mr. Wu's Situation

With many doubts, Mr. Wu's wife, son, and younger sister went to Jinan again on May 8, 2013. When they asked to visit Mr. Wu, they were told by the guard that he was still hospitalized. They went to the hospital and after the person at the front desk spoke to the prison authorities on the phone, Mr. Wu's relatives were told that “Falun Gong practitioners' families are not allowed to visit.” The person at the front desk also told the family that they had to have paperwork issued by the prison to visit. The family went back to the prison to get the paperwork and was told by a prison official that they were not aware of any paperwork, and that the family needed to ask the hospital staff. They went again back to the hospital, but the staff evaded their questions. They asked them again what illness had caused Mr. Wu to be hospitalized, and the hospital staff told them that they didn't know anything. The prison and hospital officials passed the buck back and forth to evade responsibility, and gave Mr. Wu's family a hard time. The family couldn't do anything but return to their hometown, anxious and worried.

Is Mr. Wu still at the hospital? What is his condition? Nobody knows. Why did the Shandong Prison officials and the hospital staff try to cover up the truth? What are they afraid of? The many unknowns have caused Mr. Wu's family and friends to be very worried. We call upon international human rights organizations to help rescue Mr. Wu.