Exposing Torture in Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp in Changchun City
(Minghui.org) The cruelty of the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners by the notorious Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp in Changchun City, Jilin Province, is beyond the imagination of the world's people. Below is a list of torture and abuse methods witnessed by a practitioner who was held at this labor camp in 2000. Despite its length, it's only the tip of the iceberg of the abuses suffered by Falun Gong practitioners over the past 14 years.
1. Body search: Practitioners taken to the forced labor camp were stripped of their clothes and searched upon arrival.
2. Cold shower: After the search, the person was showered with cold water, no matter whether it's summer or winter.
3. Forced to sit still: There are two long benches in the room. Practitioners were forced to sit in two rows and not allowed to move, or else they were hit with wooden boards.
4. Forced to Crouched against a wall: One was forced to hold his head with both hands and crouch against a wall motionless for a long time. The person would be beaten if he moves. Sometimes a prison guard would kick the person, causing the person to smash into the wall and injure his head or faint.
5. Punched in the face: The guards picked sturdy guys to punch practitioners in the face, causing injury and severe bruising.
6. Beaten with wooden batons: As soon as a practitioner was taken to the labor camp, the guards hit him with wooden batons all over his head.
7. Hit with iron rods: The person was hit on the buttocks with an iron rod until the abuser got too tired. One elderly practitioner from Changchun City was hit this way. He was hit 75 times, until the rod bended from force. The rod was 2 cm in diameter and 150 cm long. The practitioner’s buttocks were severely bruised and he was unable to move for a long time.
8. Intimidation by armed guards: Officer Gao Zhilu organized for fully armed prison guards to stand in two rows in the courtyard in an attempt to intimidate practitioners steadfast in their belief. The guards wore helmets, held bayoneted rifles, did rally cries, and stared straight with fierce looks. The practitioners were kept in big trucks, with their hands tied behind their backs. The guards on the trucks were also fully armed.
9. Beaten with a wooden plank: The guards used a 150 cm long, 10 cm wide, and 1-2 cm thick board to beat the person. Practitioner Mao Zengshun from Yangcaogou Coal Mine in Changchun City was beaten this way. His blood splashed onto the wall, and he lost consciousness and fell next to the bed.
10. “Airplane flying” torture: A practitioner was forced to bend in a 90 degree angle, with his hands stretched out, and stay motionless for a long time. Mr. Mao was forced to put on winter clothes in hot summer (with temperatures over 90 degrees Fahrenheit) while being tortured this way, after being beaten with wood.
11. Tied with ropes and hung: The person’s two thumbs were tied together with thin ropes. The person was hung by his thumbs on the door frame, with both of his feet off the ground. This position was held for a long time. With the person's thumbs bearing his entire body weight, a prison guard would then push the person back and forth like a swing.
12. Tied up: A practitioner's two hands were tied behind his back, with thin ropes around the wrists. Then he was hung on the door frame with both feet off the ground. After being hung for an hour or two, the person would be released for a few seconds and then hung again. Practitioner Mr. Li from Shuangliao County was tortured this way.
13. Forced to stand on one foot: The person was forced to stand motionless on one foot against the wall for a long time; otherwise he was beaten.
14. Punched in the chest: A sturdy guard punched a practitioner in the chest. The person would become weak and feel tightness in the chest. Practitioner Mr. Zhang, in his 30s, was persecuted this way for a long time, which caused him to be unable to eat. He was eventually sent to the hospital and was found to have swelling and fluid accumulation in the chest. He was then released on medical parole, but died just a month later.
15. Beaten violently: A practitioner was surrounded by several people (guards or criminal inmates instigated by the guards) and beaten and kicked for a long time. Many practitioners have been persecuted this way.
16. Searched: The guards often searched practitioners and their beds, tearing up their clothes and quilts during the search. If any Falun Gong materials were found, the practitioner was punished through torture.
17. Extension of term: A person’s term of incarceration was extended if guards found any Falun Gong materials on him. In addition, guards often found other excuses to extend a practitioner's term.
18. Extortion: Guards often extorted food and other things sent to practitioners by their families, punishing them if they refused to hand over the items.
19. Deprived of sleep: A practitioner was deprived of sleep for a long time if he refused to write the three statements to renounce his belief. The guards would take turns to brainwash the person at the same time. If he still refused to give up his belief, he was tortured further.
20. Forced to watch brainwashing videos: Practitioners were forced to watch videos that slandered Falun Gong and the founder of the practice. They were then forced to write a “thought report.” If a practitioner refused to do so, or if the things he wrote did not satisfy the guards, he was abused by various means.
21. Forced to write reports: Practitioners were forced to write a report every month to slander Falun Gong and the founder of the practice. If a practitioner did not comply, he was abused by various means.
22. Locked in a small cell: In the Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp, these cells are built of concrete--the walls and floor are all made of concrete. They are 140 cm long, slightly wider than a person, and are barely high enough for a person to sit in, even with head bent. The person is unable to sit straight and cannot lie down. The cell is moist and cold, whether it be winter or summer. The windows are all blocked. Some practitioners were handcuffed or shackled, depending on the guard’s liking.
23. Denied restroom use: Guards forbid a practitioner from going to the restroom for a long period of time.
24. Smeared excrement on the mouth: Guards smeared human excrement on a practitioner's mouth.
25. Forced to sit on iron brackets: Practitioners were forced to sit in the lotus position (both legs crossed) on iron brackets. Many practitioners were abused this way when first taken to the labor camp.
26. Slapped with belts: Guards stripped practitioners and whipped them with belts. Some practitioners were whipped with several belts, with some belts breaking from the continuous whipping.
27. Forced to swear: Guards gathered all practitioners in rows and forced them to swear one after another. If one did not obey, he was punished through beatings and torture.