Summary of Key Persecution Facts:

Name: Ma Lianfeng (麻莲凤)
Gender: Female
Age: 59
Address: Unknown
Occupation: Demand and Supply Cooperatives staff
Date of Most Recent Arrest: November 6, 2003
Most Recent Place of Detention: Shandong Women's Prison (山东省女子监狱 )
City: Jinan
Province: Shandong
Persecution Suffered: Sleep deprivation, forced labor, brainwashing, illegal sentencing, forced injections, beatings, imprisonment, solitary confinement, torture, sexual assault, force-feedings, physical restraint, home ransacked, interrogation, detention, denial of restroom use, forced divorce

Ms. Ma Lianfeng worked at the Demand and Supply Cooperatives in Longkou City of Shandong Province. She started practicing Falun Dafa in 1997. After the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) began persecuting Falun Gong in July 1999, the Demand and Supply Cooperatives, police stations, and 610 Office arrested, detained, and subjected her to brainwashing many times. She was illegally sentenced to seven years in prison by the court. She suffered torture and was made to do slave labor at the Shandong Province Women's Prison.

The following is what Ms. Ma Lianfeng told us this year about the persecution she was subjected to.

Ms. Ma Linfeng

Repeated Persecution and Loss of Family

On July 20, 1999, Jiang Zemin launched a brutal persecution of Falun Gong. After I saw the CCP slandering Dafa and defaming Master on television on July 22, I agreed to go to Beijing with a few practitioners to appeal for Dafa and speak out for Master's innocence.

We set off after sunset. However, shortly after that we were arrested and taken to the Longkou Police Department. Our relatives took us home at dawn the next day. People from my husband's company took turns monitoring my family. This ridiculous situation didn't stop until I was forced to hand over our Dafa books. We lost our normal practice environment.

Later, I heard that fellow practitioners from our area went to Beijing to appeal. I talked it over with four other practitioners and we decided to go to Beijing as well. We took the long distance bus on September 29, 2000. We got to Tiananmen Square and saw several practitioners unfurling "Falun Dafa is Good" banners and calling out "Master is innocent" at the risk of being arrested and beaten.

After coming back from Beijing, the fellow practitioner who bought tickets for us was tracked down. I was also implicated. In order to avoid being arrested by the 610 Office and taken to a brainwashing center, I was forced to leave my home and stay with relatives in Shenzhen City at the end of May 2001.

On June 4, 2001, my company and my husband cooperated with the evil to arrest me in Shenzhen and take me back to Longkou City. I was put in a brainwashing center. All the expenses, such as boarding and travel tickets that amounted to nearly ten thousand yuan, were paid for by my husband. I was forced to watch videos that slandered Dafa and write three guarantee letters at the brainwashing center.

During that period of time, my husband could no longer bear the cruel persecution and tremendous psychological pressure. He filed for divorce. I knew that I wasn't doing anything wrong in practicing Dafa, so I refused to agree to a divorce. However, his company and the court pressured him to divorce me. The court issued the divorce order in April 2002. Our once happy family was broken.

After I was detained more than four months, I was released on October 11, 2002.

On July 23, 2003, the evildoing persons in my company and 610 Office staff once again sent me to a brainwashing class using the excuse of "suspicion of spreading Falun Gong materials".

Qi Zhuangda handcuffed me to the rail of an iron bed for 24 hours. The only time I was not restrained was when I went to the restroom.

I went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution. After three days, they handcuffed me and dragged me to the Xiadingjia clinic. I tried to resist. I was force-fed with some milk powder, salt water, biscuits and other things by doctor Zhou.

One day at noon, they dragged me to a room on the second floor. They cuffed me to the rail of an upper bed so that I could only stand up. Then they pinched my nose and began force-feeding me water. I resisted strongly. The force-feeding loosened my lower teeth. After the force-feeding, they went to bed. I was still cuffed to the upper bed rails. They didn't unlock the handcuffs until they woke up. I was so weak that I lost consciousness.

They were afraid that my situation might get worse and they might be held responsible, so they called the Xiadingjia Hospital and took me there for intravenous injections. They noticed that my physical condition was really bad, so they let me be bailed out on August 8. They planned to arrest me six months later when I got better. I saw through their conspiracy so I didn't go back home. I was forced to be homeless and destitute.


Xiadingjia brainwashing center at Longkou city

Unjustly Thrown into Prison

Around 2:00 a.m. on the morning of November 6, 2003, practitioners Kong Fanhua, Cong Peiqing and I were arrested by officers from the Yantai Police Department and Longkou Police Department. They took away our Xerox machine, printers, computers, paper, more than 5000-yuan cash, food, oil, and tricycles.

All three of us were taken to Longkou Detention Center and forced to do slave labor, making embroidered curtains. If we did not finish that day's quota we were not allowed to sleep.

During that period of time, Wang Yingqian from the Domestic Security Team often interrogated me. Once, he asked me: "Did you eat?" I did not answer, so he said ferociously, "Practitioners are not afraid of death." The guards handcuffed and shackled me during each interrogation. They locked me to an iron chair so tightly that I could not move.

Torture Demo: iron chair

The Longkou court illegally sentenced me to seven years and I was transferred to Shandong Province Women's Prison. I was 50 years old that year.

Violent Brainwashing, Slave Labor, and Torture

While I was detained in the prison's collective training team, my systolic blood pressure reached 160 and the diastolic was 100. They brainwashed and tortured me to "convert". I was not allowed to sleep until two o'clock in the morning. After two days, they started forcing me to take drugs. I was not allowed to sleep unless I took the drugs.

They continued to abuse me even after that. I was made to stand facing a wall. I had to report to go to the restroom or to take a shower. Everything had to be done within three minutes. Sometimes, they intentionally made things difficult for me. When I was about to start, prisoner Yuan Yufen would call: time is up. She also made me clean the patio windows when I had a headache and felt dizzy. My blood pressure went higher.

They also forced me to write the evil five letters. I told them I don't know how to write. So collaborators Gao Yunli and Xing Liqin brought the five letters for me to sign. I refused. The stalemate lasted two days and two nights. Then prisoner Yuan Yufen, together with four or five people, pushed me down on a small stool and pushed a table against me. Yuan Yufen pulled my hair and held my finger to press my fingerprints onto the five letters that were prepared in advance.

Then I was forced to watch videos that slander Master and Dafa. I was told to write down my feelings. Twenty days later, I was transferred to the eighth ward.

By the end of July 2004, because I declared that the five letters were invalid, the guards escalated their persecution of me. They tried to brainwash me every day. I was not moved. Later, I was transferred to the fourth ward.

The inmates of the fourth ward were forced to do garment processing day and night. It was hard to notice what was going on because the workshop was located in the basement. Thus, our working conditions were not safe. Practitioners had to work continuously for seven days and nights. It truly was slave labor and people were pushed past their limits of endurance.

We normally stopped working at midnight. Sometimes we were made to work till 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. My fingers became deformed after repetitively using the tools for several hours. We were not allowed to rest.

In late July 2006, team head Du Juan and political head Xu Yumei locked me up in an airtight, small guard room using the excuse that I practiced Falun Gong. Prisoner Yang Guimei pushed me to the floor and scolded me for over an hour. She also took turns with other prisoners to play audios that slandered Dafa and Master.

To keep me from sitting cross-legged, they would step in between my legs. They either made me straighten my legs or made me stand. They forbade cross-legged sitting.

One guard also instigated prisoner Yang Guimei to beat me. Yang Guimei used a hand fan made of cattail leaves to slap my head and face. My mouth became swollen, and the fan was covered with my blood. She washed the fan off to hide her evil deeds.

After I was detained in the closed cell for thirteen days, I was taken to a small isolated room in the fourth ward, where I was detained for nearly five months. The first two days I was forced to sit on a small stool without moving from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., and the following days from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. I began to lose feeling in my left foot. The muscles in my feet started to atrophy because of the lack of movement. I started to have difficulty walking. Finally, I could no longer lift my left arm or feel my left shoulder.

Practitioner Zhao Shuping and I were dragged to the hallway to be tortured every day during those months. When we resisted, they threw our bedding on the floor. One time, prisoner Yang Aimei didn't allow me to sleep for most of the night. Prisoner Wang Zhiling also didn't allow me to sleep for most of the night. She even tried to put drugs in my food.

One time, team head Liu Xia found me writing Dafa scriptures. She took my copy away and reported me to Yang Chongshen. Yang ordered prisoners to throw my bedding on the floor. Afterwards I had to sleep on the floor for more than twenty days. Guard She Jing also forced me to sleep on the floor for nearly a month.

Another time, I could not work because of high blood pressure. Yang Chongshen said, "I told someone in the workshop to carry you." Political head Liu Ling told someone to carry me to the hospital. The hospital refused to take me in. I was left in the yard under the burning sun. Later I was carried back to the prison. Political head Liu Ling went crazy. She ripped off my clothes, threw my shorts into the trash, pulled my bra down and tore it up, then tried to take off my underwear. I firmly held onto them, so she didn't succeed.

In 2008, Yang Chongshen found that I practiced the exercises at midnight. I was carried to the hallway for abuse and they demanded that I promise not to practice the exercises again. I resisted firmly, so I was put into the isolated room again. Because they were afraid that I would shout "Falun Dafa is good" in the morning, the hospital head told the prison doctor to give me a shot to make me sleep.

Later, someone from the fourth ward came and took me to the hospital. The prison doctor forcibly put drugs into my mouth. I spat them out. Four or five persons grabbed my hands and feet, tied me to the bed, and forcibly administered intravenous injections. I resisted and shouted: "Falun Dafa is good." After they tried for several hours, they were not able to inject me and I was sent back.

My experience is just one small portion amongst countless persecution crimes against Falun Gong practitioners in China. Because the CCP blocks the media and the Internet, many incidents of persecution were never exposed.