Name: Dai Meixia (戴美霞)
Gender: Female
Age: Approximately 40
Address: Tuzui Village, Xiaochi Township, Huangmei County, Hubei Province
Occupation: Farmer
Date of Most Recent Arrest: May 10, 2012
Most Recent Place of Detention: Huangmei County Detention Center (黄梅县看守所)
City: Huanggang
Province: Hubei
Persecution Suffered: Sleep deprivation, brainwashing, forced injections/drug administration, beatings, force-feedings, extortion, home ransacked, detention.

( Ms. Dai Meixia, who is in her forties, is a farmer in Tuzui Village, Xiaochi Township, Huangmei County, Hubei Province. She recovered from many illnesses and became an even nicer person after she began practicing Falun Gong. After the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) began persecuting Falun Gong in 1999, Ms. Dai and her family were forced to move across the river to Jiujiang City, Jiangxi Province, and they relied on collecting recyclables to make a living for more than ten years. Additionally, Ms. Dai could not take care of her young child by herself, and she could not spend time with her relatives.

During the past ten-plus years, Ms. Dai has been brutally persecuted by the police in Hubei and Jiangxi. Her house was ransacked, and she was arrested, harassed, and while in the brainwashing center forced to stand, beaten, deprived of meals and sleep, force-fed, and injected with drugs. She also had funds extorted from her. On May 10, 2012, she was arrested again and taken to the Hubei Province brainwashing center, where she was beaten, force-fed, and brainwashed. Her life was in peril. The authorities recently approved her arrest and attempted to escalate the persecution.

Arrested Many Times and Subjected to Extortion

Ms. Dai was arrested by Xunyang District Police Department in Jiujiang City on September 11, 2001. She was then held and persecuted in the Shilibu Detention Center for 34 days. The detention center extorted 3,000 yuan from her, and her family paid 1,000 yuan in bribes. Ms. Dai was taken to the Huangmei County First Detention Center by officers from the Xiaochi Township Police Station. She was detained for three-and-a-half months and had another 2,000 extorted from her. A family member was forced to pay 1,500 yuan in bribes, and later had to pay another 4,000 yuan to the Xiaochi Township Police Station (without getting a receipt) for Ms. Dai's final release. In all, the family paid out 11,500 yuan. Ms. Dai was also force-fed while she was detained.

On May 7, 2008, police officers from Jiujiang City unsuccessfully attempted to arrest Ms. Dai. On May 8, they coordinated with officers from the Huangmei and Xiaochi Police Stations to break into Ms. Dai’s parents’ home in Daiying Village, Xiaochi Township. They arrested her 60-year-old mother, Ms. Fei Maorong, who is a practitioner, and her seriously ill father, Mr. Dai Yanhua. They demanded that Ms. Dai turn herself in, in exchange for her parents. They also seized many of Ms. Dai’s personal belongings.

After her parents were detained in the Huangmei County Detention Center for over a month, they were sentenced to one year of forced labor. The forced labor camp refused to take them, so the Xiaochi Police Station police extorted 20,000 yuan from them before letting them go. During this time, the family was forced to pay excessive meal charges and bribes totaling over 10,000 yuan. In all, the family was out over 30,000 yuan, which was a tremendous financial burden.

In Jiujiang City, Ms. Dai's husband was harassed and threatened constantly. Police officers broke into their home in the middle of the night on May 10, ransacked it, and seized a computer valued at more than 6,000 yuan. They also arrested Ms. Dai's sister and detained her overnight.

Arrested Again and Near Death

On the morning of May 10, 2012, Ms. Dai was arrested near the Jiujiang No. 3 Middle School by Chen Honggang, the the deputy chief of the Huangmei County Domestic Security Bureau, along with domestic security officer Huang Wei, and other police officers from Jiujiang City. She was taken to the Hubei Brainwashing Center. Her home was ransacked and two computers, Dafa books, and informational materials were taken. Her father was arrested and held overnight.

The Hubei Provincial Legal Education Institute (Hubei Province Brainwashing Center) is a provincial brainwashing center established specifically to persecute Falun Gong practitioners. The tactics it uses are cruel beyond description. Deng Qun, a captain, said that the center followed a system to torture people. To explain, he drew a flow chart which showed the methods employed, including standing, beating, starving, force-feeding, sleep deprivation, hanging up with handcuffs, injecting drugs, and shocking with electric batons.

An individual with inside knowledge has confirmed the horrors that go on in the center, “The Hubei Province Brainwashing Center is a human hell. On admittance, the newcomer is surrounded by collaborators. If the person does not 'transform,' they beat him. This is usually led by Jiang Lili and assisted by another 6’ 3” tall guard. Then they require you to say, 'Sir, I want to have the CCP's meal' if you want to eat, and say, 'Sir, I want to use the CCP’s restroom' to use the restroom. They force detainees to stand while holding a bunch of books. If a book falls on the floor, the person is shocked with an electric baton. If the person still does not 'transform,' he is not allowed to use the restroom or eat. After the person is starved for a few days, he is force-fed. Ms. Dai was brutally beaten, deprived of sleep, and forced to stand overnight. She was not given any food for a few days and was then force-fed with rough food. Blood squirted out when the feeding tube was withdrawn from her nose. A prison doctor surnamed Fang did the force-feeding. Afterwards, a large bottle of an unknown yellow substance was injected into her. If detainees refuse the injections, they are severely beaten. They are pushed to the limit both physically and mentally.”

During this time, the Hubei Province Brainwashing Center forced the local people in the area to turn in 20,000 yuan as a so-called “study fee,” and the center asked the locals to provide two people to watch Ms. Dai around the clock. The village official of Tuzui Village, Xiaochi Township in Humei County complained, “You harm our people terribly and then want us to pay for it. It is truly difficult to serve as a village official.”

Ms. Dai was brutally tortured in the brainwashing center for three months and suffered both physically and mentally. Because of her persistence in her belief, the CCP refused to let up, and took her to the Huangmei County Detention Center only when she was on the verge of death. The police then unsuccessfully tried to extort another 5,000 yuan from her family.

Ms. Dai's elderly father went to the police department several times to demand her release. The police promised that they would release her between September 7 and 9. Her father waited and waited, but she was not released. When he returned to the police department, the authorities avoided seeing him. On September 13 the Huangmei County Procuratorate approved Ms. Dai's arrest in an attempt to escalate the persecution.

After seven to eight months of physical and mental torture, Ms. Dai developed a lumbar disk hernia and became unable to stand. She is as thin as a skeleton and her life is in peril. We urge the international human rights organizations and other individuals and groups to extend their help.