Name: Mu Guilan (穆桂兰)
Gender: Female
Age: Unknown
Address: Tiedong Residential Area in Nanshan District, Hegang City, Heilongjiang Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: Early 2008
Most Recent Place of Detention: Hegang City No.2 Detention Center (市第二看守所)
City: Hegang
Province: Heilongjiang
Persecution Suffered: Forced labor, brainwashing, beatings, torture, detention

( Elderly Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Mu Guilan from Hegang City, Heilongjiang Province has been arrested four times and the officers from the district police station have repeatedly harassed her.

A Precious Book Saved Her

Before Ms. Mu Guilan started practicing Falun Gong, she had severe stomach illness. In vain she went to hospitals for treatment. At that time her stomach drooped down to her navel, causing her great pain. She also developed serious heart disease, cirrhosis, gallstones and other illnesses. Her back was in so much pain that she could not straighten up her torso and sometimes could not breathe. In order to get some relief she tried various things, including enshrining an animal or spirit possession. As a result of inviting these dangerous elements, she became mentally disoriented. No matter what she tried, her physical condition kept deteriorating. She had difficulty eating and could not even eat a very small amount of food. She was thin and pallid, and no more than skin and bones, and when she walked even a few steps away she had to breathe heavily. When she went to a hospital in Jiamusi City for treatment, the doctor said, “Although it is not cancer, it is as serious as cancer.”

A good-hearted person told Ms. Mu about the beauty of Falun Dafa, but no matter how he tried to talk to her she would not listen. Finally he said, "You won't even try, so how do you know Falun Dafa cannot help you? Just try and then you will know.” His words woke her up and saved her life.

The first time she attended Master Li Hongzhi's lecture, she needed assistance to get there. She was so weak that she was unable to finish and had to go home. She bought the precious book Zhuan Falun to read. At that time she was gravely ill and was in so much pain that it was difficult for her to wear clothing. However, when she was sleeping she did not take off her clothes and held that book on her chest. When she woke up she started reading this book and when feeling tired she put the book on her chest to sleep for a while. Shortly after she began practicing Falun Gong, all her illnesses disappeared.

Witnessing Miracles that Science Cannot Explain

Ms. Mu Guilan was only able to read a hundred words. Miraculously, when she opened the book Zhuan Falun she was able to read the first lecture, "Lunyu." When she read the third lecture “Spirit or Animal Possession,” she cleaned out all those messed-up things that she previously enshrined. After getting rid of these things, the spirit or animals that had possessed her were eliminated and her whole body felt relaxed.

The next day, Master purified her body. Sometimes she felt cold and sometimes she felt hot and became drowsy. Three days later, she did not have a fever anymore. When she found there was no food to eat, she went to a nearby store nearby and bought a 25 kilogram bag of flour and took it back home. All her family was shocked. A weak person who would have been blown down by strong winds while walking experienced such amazing changes in just a few days! After Ms. Mu began practicing Falun Dafa, she felt her whole body was light while walking.

Insist on Human Conscience in Being Hurt

After the persecution started in July 1999, Ms. Mu went to Beijing to appeal. She was arrested and detained in the Hegang Police Office in Beijing. At that time, about ten Falun Gong practitioners were detained in a ward. Ms. Mu was detained for four days. Qiu Xiaohua, Li Baoxia and a female student were also detained. All the female practitioners were stripped of their clothes and their money was taken away.

Ms. Mu Guilan was taken back to Tiedong Office in Hegang City from Beijing. Secretary Wu and officers from the Tiedong Police Station arrested her and then took her to the detention center. One day chief Zhang led two female guards to beat her. They punched her on the sofa in the office and cursed and beat her. When she came back to the ward, a male guard raised up his legs to kick her, causing her to fall on the edge of the stone bed platform and she was nearly blinded. When Ms. Mu did the exercises, a group of guards kicked her and a male guard slapped her over one dozen times on the face, causing her lips to bleed profusely. When this male guard became tired he instigated other criminals to beat her. Ms. Mu was released after almost one month of being detained.

The next year, guard Li Shangqi and officers from the Tiedong Office went to Ms. Mu’s home and tricked her. They said, "We have something to discuss with you, and you can come back home in just a few minutes." Ms. Mu’s family believed them; however, when evening came she still had not returned. Her family looked for her for more than a month and they finally learned that Ms. Mu was taken to the Luobei Detention Center.

During her three month detention in the Luobei Detention Center, each person was only given a bowl of flour paste which was as thin as water to eat. Practitioners were hungry and dizzy. They went on a hunger-strike to protest the persecution. When the guards force-fed them one female practitioner was almost choked to death. Soon, Ms. Mu and other practitioners were transferred to Hegang No.2 Detention Center and then transferred to No.1 Detention Center. They were abused in various ways for eight months.

After she was released, the police continued to harass her. In late April 2002, Li Shangqi and other personnel broke into Ms. Mu’s home and arrested her. She was sentenced to forced labor and later transferred from the Hegang No.2 Detention Center to Harbin Drug Addiction Treatment Centre. Guards forced practitioners to do slave labor, including packaging toothpicks and chopsticks, and pasting paper labels on pill and cigarette cases. The guard detained Ms. Mu in a small ward, not allowing anyone to see her. They also deprived her of sleep and did not allow her to step out of the ward. She was detained for almost half a month. Later they forced Ms. Mu to sit without moving all night till early morning. Sometimes she was forced to stand from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and then the next day she was forced to sit on a small children's plastic stool between two beds.

Ms. Mu was released on New Year's Eve.

After she returned home, the officers from the Tiedong Police Station and Tiedong Office continuously harassed Ms. Mu Guilan. They knocked on her door and other times followed her, making it difficult for her and her husband to enjoy their twilight years. In the spring of 2008, Li Shangqi and eight or nine guards arrested Ms. Mu and practitioner Li Gaiyun. Six guards carried Ms. Mu to the police car and then took her to the No.2 Detention Center. She was forced to sit from early morning till 11:00 p.m. She was detained there for one month and five days.