Name: Jiang Xiaoyan (姜晓燕)
Gender: Female
Age: Unknown
Address: Unknown
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
November 13, 2011
Most recent place of detention:
Harbin City Second Detention Center (哈尔滨市第二看守所)
City: Harbin City
Heilongjiang Province
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, interrogation, handcuffed behind the back, iron chair, torture.


Ms. Jiang Xiaoyan has been illegally detained at Harbin City No.2 Detention Center for 100 days now. On February 22, 2012, a lawyer met with Ms. Jiang. She told him that she had been interrogated continuously for six days. On the first day seven or eight police officers began interrogating her, and at that stage they hadn’t tortured her. On day two to day five, three police officers interrogated her and they used a variety tortures on her.

The guards forced her to sit and handcuffed her to the back of the chair. They used a thin rope tied to her handcuff and pulled the other side of the rope through a pulley that took her just off the ground. A clip was fixed to the pole to prevent her whole body from being lifted up. She suffocated when they pulled the rope, as the clip stopped her from being pulled up. The guards kept pulling the rope from the other end to see how close she was to suffocating. They were also looking at their watches and counting, and only when Ms. Jiang had one breath of air left, did they release the rope . The guards woke her up first and then took her back to her cell. This torture continued everyday for five days and nights.

People who tortured her was from the so-called "Special Case" group set up by the provincial police bureau. Ms. Jiang said that during this torture, she would pass out from the lack of oxygen.

Ms. Jiang had cancer before practicing Falun Gong, and soon after learning Falun Dafa her cancer was gone. On November 13, 2011, she went to her friend's home and was unlawfully arrested there. On the same day, police officers from Heilongjiang Province Police Bureau teamed up with Harbin Police Bureau and Shuangcheng Domestic Security Department, and illegally arrested 56 practitioners. At the point when her 15-days term was almost up at Shuangcheng Detention Center, she was transferred to Harbin City No.2 Detention Center and unlawfully detained there . When her family members came to Shuangcheng Police Bureau and demanded to see a copy of the arrest warrant, the Domestic Security Department refused their request.

When the lawyer that Ms. Jiang's family hired went to the No.2 Detention Center in Harbin City demanding to see her, Officers from the center said that as they had not received permission from the Shuangcheng Domestic Security Department, they would not allow anyone to meet her. On the afternoon of December 27, 2011, supported by the lawyer's company, her family members went to the appeals office in Harbin City Procuratorate to file their appeal for Ms. Jiang, who had been subjected to cruel torture. Even though the person sympathized with them, he was unable to help them. The lawyer went to the court hall, to sue two team leaders from Shuangcheng Domestic Security Department for their lawful behavior. The lawyer was made to wait 20 minutes before he was told to come back the next day. The lawyer began to chastise the officer, who then changed his mind and got the divisional manager to agree that he would go to Harbin City No.1 Detention Center to meet the person in charge himself.

On the morning of December 28, 2011, the lawyer came to the Domestic Security Department in Shuangcheng to hand in his affidavit. Xiao Jitian said to him that according to the law he should be able to see the person. At 10 a.m., the lawyer went to the Detention Center and was allowed to see Ms. Jiang. When a staff member called the Domestic Security Department, Ms. Jiang's family members heard domestic security police officer Xiao say over the phone that he didn't allow the lawyer to see her. The lawyer called the inspection officer under the municipal government, but they asked the lawyer to talk to the secretary of the detention center. After talking to the political instructor Xiao, he was told that people from the provincial government handled this case, and they will not allow anybody to see her. When her family members asked the inspection officers, they replied: "We have law in China, but when we are told from the top not to allow anyone in to see her, what can we do?"

Ms. Jiang is very weak right now. She has severe anemia, and her life is endangered. Her family members have been appealing to all levels of the Procuratorate regarding the cruel torture that she has suffered. They have also submitted the application to Shuangcheng Procuratorate for her bailout. The lawyer will accompany Ms. Jiang's family members to Harbin City Middle Procuratorate and Heilongjiang Province Supreme Procuratorate respectively to protest the cruel torture that police have unlawfully inflicted on Ms. Jiang.

Related article:

Ms. Jiang Xiaoyan Interrogated and Physically Abused, Causing Her to Lose Consciousness Three Times