Name: Luo Chungui (罗纯贵)
Gender: Male
Age: 59
Address: Tiantun Street, Wanghua District, Fushun City, Liaoning Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: October 5, 2007
Most Recent Place of Detention: Masanjia Forced Labor Camp (马三家教养院)
City: Shenyang
Province: Liaoning
Persecution Suffered: Detention, illegal sentencing, imprisonment, electric shock, beatings, hung up, torture, force-feedings, home ransacked

( Mr. Luo Chungui is a Falun Gong practitioner from Fushun City, Liaoning Province. He used to suffer from various illnesses, including blood poisoning. After he began practicing Falun Gong in 1998, his health rapidly improved, and all of his illnesses disappeared within one month.

After the Chinese communist regime launched the persecution of Falun Gong in July 1999, Mr. Luo was illegally arrested and sent to a forced labor camp three times. As a result of the mistreatment he suffered in detention, he lost his ability to smell.

Detained for Appealing to the Authorities in Beijing

When Mr. Luo went to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong in late December 2000, he was arrested and taken to a police station. Seven practitioners were kept in one room, each seated on a small stool. The guards tightened the practitioners' handcuffs several times, until they cut into the flesh.

Torture reenactment: Shocking with electric batons

Mr. Luo was detained at the police station for three days. He was tortured and not given anything to eat. Afterward, officials from his workplace brought him and several other practitioners back to Fushun City and detained them in a detention center, where the guards continuously swore at them. Mr. Luo was sent to Fushun Forced Labor Camp 20 days later and detained there for over six months.

Beaten and Tortured in Detention

When Mr. Luo distributed materials clarifying the facts about Falun Gong in December 2002, local police arrested him and took him to a detention center. Upon his arrival, the guards removed all of his clothes except for his underwear and took him to a cell, where one criminal detainee punched him in the chest and then kicked him in the ribs. Mr. Luo was in so much pain that he could not move. Several detainees then dragged him to a different area and began to pour cold water on him for half an hour. Mr. Luo's head went numb from the cold, and he lost consciousness. After he regained consciousness, more than 10 detainees beat him for about 20 minutes. Mr. Luo called out, “Falun Dafa is good!” which prompted them to beat him more.

He was abused this way for one week, and then he was transferred to a cell where a criminal awaiting death penalty sentencing was being held. This criminal raised his handcuffs and used them to hammer Mr. Luo's head; Mr. Luo fainted. Afterward, other detainees poured cold water on him, while his head bled severely.

Torture reenactment: Neating

The criminals continued to abuse Mr. Luo for three months, and then he was transfereed to Fushun Forced Labor Camp. After he arrived there, he was held in a transition cell. A guard ordered him to kneel down. Mr. Luo said he would not kneel down since he had not done anything wrong. The guard beat him and asked if he still practiced Falun Gong. Mr. Luo said, “Falun Gong is good and I would have died already without it. Why would I stop practicing?” Instigated by the guard, two inmates stripped him of his clothes and shoved him down on the floor, while another inmate began to hit him with a wooden stick two yards long and two inches wide. They hit him more than 10 times. Mr. Luo was bleeding, and the stick was covered with his blood.

Additionally, the inmates often used the thick heel of a heavy boot to hit Mr. Luo on the head. Once when they hit him, a nail jutting out of the boot heel punched a hole in his head and blood gushed out.

Then the guards put Mr. Luo in a cell with an inmate who had scabies. Because of the open wounds and bruises on his skin from the beatings, he was soon infected with scabies. He experienced severe pain from bruises, wounds, and scabies. The guards also shocked him with electric batons.

When Mr. Luo began a hunger strike to protest the persecution in July 2003, the guards and inmates tied him up to a bed, with his four limbs stretched out in opposite directions and fastened to the four bed corners. He was not released from this excruciating position even when it was time to sleep. He called out, “Falun Dafa is good!” The inmates and guards beat him and shocked him with electric batons. Guard Wang also shoved the bed that Mr. Luo was bound to upright against the wall, turning Mr. Luo upside down. The guards finally loosened the ropes after he fainted.

Torture reenactment: A death bed

In late 2004, a newly imprisoned practitioner was beaten and his head was bleeding. Mr. Luo saw this and called aloud, “Falun Dafa practitioners are innocent! Stop the torture!” The inmates then pushed him into a room, tied him to a bed, covered his head with a quilt, and whipped him with belts.

Arrested, Beaten, and Tortured Again

Mr. Luo was arrested for the third time on July 15, 2007. Agents from the Gongnong Police Station first went to his home to arrest him, but he was not there. They then went to search for him at other practitioners’ homes and eventually found him.

Police took Mr. Luo to the police station and tied him to a tiger bench to torture him. Several officers also went to ransack his home and confiscated his personal belongings, including Falun Gong books and materials, a cell phone, DVDs, and other items.

Mr. Luo was then taken to a detention center, where he was held for 15 days. Afterward, he was transferred to Fushun Forced Labor Camp for a term of two years.

Torture reenactment (Painting): Tiger Bench

When Mr. Luo went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution in the labor camp, guard Wang Lixin ordered six inmates to torture him. Every evening after 6 p.m., the inmates took him to an isolated cell and hit and kicked him in the chest, striking his ribs. This continued for several days, and Mr. Luo fainted a few times.

Since Mr. Luo was not a criminal and had done nothing wrong, he refused to wear an inmate's uniform. To punish him, guards tortured him in different ways, including rubbing bricks across his ribs, punching him, and kicking him. One time when he fainted while being tortured, the guards removed his clothes and put an inmate's uniform on him.

The guards and inmates continued torturing and mistreating Mr. Luo like this until October 2008, when all the Falun Gong practitioners in Fushun Forced Labor Camp were gathered up and transferred to Masanjia Forced Labor Camp. When they arrived there, the waiting guards held electric batons and ordered them to quickly get out of the police van. They beat practitioners who, according to them, walked too slowly. When practitioners Mr. Zhao Liankai and Mr. Liu Yu said that guards should not beat people, the guards shocked them with electric batons. Both of these practitioners and Mr. Luo called out, “Falun Dafa is good! Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good!”

About seven guards then joined in to torture them. They attacked each practitioner with electric batons, stripped off his clothing, and shocked his mouth for more than one hour, until the electric batons' batteries were drained. As a result, the practitioners' faces became swollen, and they could no longer open their mouths or eyes. The guards then handcuffed them onto beds to force-feed them, and also subjected them to forced IV injections. The guards continued torturing them this way for 20 days. Mr. Luo lost his sense of smell as a result and was not able to recover even after being released.