Name: Ms. Dai Meixia (戴美霞)
Gender: Female
Age: Around 40
Address: Jiujiang City, Jiangxi Province
Occupation: Housewife
Date of Most Recent Arrest: May 10, 2012
Most Recent Place of Detention: Huangmei County Detention Center (黄梅县看守所)
City: Huanggang
Province: Hubei
Persecution Suffered: Arrested, home ransacked, money extorted, harassed, forced to stand for long periods of time, brutal beatings, force feeding, injected with drugs, deprived of food and sleep

( Ms. Dai Meixia, originally from Tuzui Village in Huangmei County, was detained at the Hubei Brainwashing Center, also known as the Hubei Legal Education Center, for 3 months, where she was brutally beaten, force-fed and injected with drugs. She was then transferred to Huangmei County Detention Center while she was in a very weak state. Officials from Ms. Dai's village and her family members went to the detention center many times, asking for her to be released. However, officials from the Huangmei Procuratorate issued a warrant for her arrest on September 13, 2012.

Ms. Dai has been arrested and harassed, and has had money extorted from her many times since the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) initiated the persecution of Falun Gong in 1999. In order to avoid the persecution her family moved to Jiujiang City in Jiangxi Province more than 10 years ago, and they rely on selling recycled materials to survive.

Forced to pay lots of money to officials

Ms. Dai was arrested by officers from Xunyang Police Department in Jiujiang on September 11, 2001 and was held at Shilibu Detention Center in Jiujiang for 34 days. Guards extorted 3,000 yuan from her during this time. Her family paid another 1,000 yuan for her release. She was later arrested by officers from Xiaochi Town Police Station and taken to the Huangmei No. 1 Detention Center for three and a half months. The guards there extorted 2,000 yuan from her, and officers from Xiaochi Police Station extorted another 4,000 yuan. Meanwhile, her family was forced to pay 1,500 yuan for her release. Ms. Dai was finally released after paying a total of 11,500 yuan to various officials. None of the officials gave her a receipt.

Police from Jiujiang attempted to arrest Ms. Dai again on the morning of May 7, 2008. Fortunately, she managed to escape. Officers from Jiujiang, Huangmei Police Department and Xiaochi Police Station then burst into her mother's home in Daiying Village, Xiaochi Town on May 8, arresting her 60-year-old mother Ms. Fei Maorong and her very ill father Mr. Dai Yanhua. The officers held the elderly couple hostage, and claimed that they could exchange the couple for Ms. Dai. The police then confiscated many of Ms. Dai's personal belongings.

Ms. Dai's parents were held at Huangmei County Detention Center for more than a month, before being sentenced to one year of forced labor. However, the guards at the labor camp refused to accept them. Officers from Xiaochi Police Station then extorted 20,000 yuan from their family members before releasing them. The family was also forced to pay exorbitant prices for food at the detention center and had to buy gifts for the officials there, totaling more than 10,000 yuan. The family was forced to pay more than 30,000 yuan, creating a financial burden for Ms. Dai's family.

Officers burst into Ms. Dai's home at around midnight on May 10, 2008 and ransacked it. They confiscated her laptop, which is worth about 6,000 yuan, and arrested her younger sister. Her sister was released the following day.

Persecuted to the brink of death

Deputy head of Huangmei County Police Department Chen Honggang, Huang Wei from Huangmei Domestic Security Division, and officers from Jiujiang arrested Ms. Dai on May 10, 2012 near Jiujiang No. 3 Middle School. She was later taken to Hubei Brainwashing Center. Her home was also ransacked, and police confiscated her two computers, all of her Dafa books and other materials. Her father was also arrested, but was released the next day.

Hubei Brainwashing Center is a provincial level brainwashing center, and was specifically created for persecuting Falun Gong practitioners. Guard Deng Qun once said, “We have a complete series of torture methods, including force feeding and shocking with electric batons.” Once a practitioner is taken to the brainwashing center, inmates immediately start pressuring the practitioner to give up Falun Gong. If practitioners do not renounce their belief, they are beaten and not allowed to eat or use the bathroom.

The guards at the brainwashing center are headed by Jiang Lili and another guard. They force practitioners to say: “Report, I want to go to the communist party's toilet” or “Report, I want to eat the communist party's meal.” If practitioners refuse to say these words they are not allowed to eat and go to the toilet. They are also forced to hold lots of books and stand still for long periods of time. If one book drops, the guards shocks the practitioner with electric batons. If practitioners do not renounce their belief, they are force-fed after several days of not being allowed to eat.

Ms. Dai was severely beaten and not allowed to sleep. She was forced to stand still over night and was not given any food for a few days. Then she was force-fed. When the guards pulled the feeding tube out of her nose, lots of blood came out with it. The guards also shoved large pieces of vegetables down her throat.

The guards also put unknown drugs into the practitioners' food. After a meal, practitioners would feel dizzy, their heads heavy, and their blood pressure would rise. If the guards saw any symptoms of practitioners being unwell, they gave them injections. If the practitioners refuse to take them, they are beaten.

Village officials ask guards to release Ms. Dai

Officials at Hubei Brainwashing Center forced officials from Ms. Dai's village to pay for her expenditures while she was at the brainwashing center. They also told the village officials to have at least two people monitor her 24 hours a day. The village officials constantly complained about this and then went to Huangmei County Police Department to request that they release Ms. Dai. But officials at Huangmei County Domestic Security Division refused.

The village officials went to Hubei Brainwashing Center to request Ms. Dai's release, two months after Ms. Dai's detention there. But officials at the brainwashing center refused to do so because she would not renounce her belief.

Ms. Dai was detained at Hubei Brainwashing Center for three months and was severely tortured there. She was later transferred to Huangmei Detention Center for further persecution because she refused to renounce her belief. The guards attempted to extort 5,000 yuan from her family, but the family refused to pay.

Ms. Dai's father went to the local police department many times, asking them to release his daughter. The police deceived him by saying, “We will release your daughter between September 7 and 9.” Ms. Dai's father expected his daughter to come back and waited from morning to night, but did not see her. When he returned to the local police department the police purposely did not see him. Ms. Dai's father was then informed that officials from Huangmei County Procuratorate had issued an arrest warrant for Ms. Dai on September 13, 2012.