Name: Zhu Junqiang (朱军强)
Gender: Male
Age: 40
Address: Li County, Baoding City, Hebei Province
Occupation: Former employee in the business sector
Date of Most Recent Arrest: September 23, 2009
Most Recent Place of Detention: Gaoyang Forced Labor Camp (高阳劳教所)
City: Gaoyang
Province: Hebei
Persecution Suffered: Forced labor, beatings, torture, force-feedings, home ransacked, detention

( Mr. Zhu Junqiang is a practitioner from Li County, Baoding City, Hebei Province. After the Communist regime began persecuting Falun Gong, he was persecuted multiple times and ultimately had to leave his home in order to to avoid further persecution. At 7:00 p.m. on September 23, 2009, several police officers came to Mr.Zhu's apartment. The police tried to get into his home by ramming the door open, but failed. They broke through the door using a large axe, and then sprayed him and his wife in the face with mace. Zhu and his wife could hardly breathe. After he was arrested, Mr. Zhu was held in the detention center for two years.

Persecuted in Beijing

At the end of December, 2000, Mr. Zhu went to Tiananmen Square in Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa. He was taken to Huanrou Detention Center, where he was shoved down to the floor and beaten and kicked by several guards. He and several other practitioners were forced to stand in line and endure the torture called “riding an airplane” (standing with one’s back against the wall while one’s head is leaned forward, with both hands pulled up from behind). The guards stood behind them, holding electric batons. If anyone changed their position, they would be brutally beaten.

Because it was still winter, it was extremely cold. Every practitioner was stripped down to their underwear and forced to stand outside. All their personal belongings, even the cash from their pockets, was taken away. At night, they were separated into different rooms where criminals abused and tortured them.

As soon as Mr. Zhu was taken to a room, a criminal poured dozens of basins of cold water on his head. He was then forced to squat for the whole night. He did not have any blankets or clothing despite the severe weather.

The next morning, practitioners were forced to stand in the hallway and were tortured. Some practitioners were abused so badly, blood was everywhere. Their sweat, tears and blood soaked their clothes. Some of them lost consciousness and were dragged away in fetters by the guards. The floor was wet and streaked with their blood.

A few days later, Mr. Zhu was taken back to Li County by personnel from the Department of Commerce. He was detained in the Food Plant but he refused to write a guarantee statement to not practice Falun Gong. Instead, Mr. Zhu said, “I am trying to be a good person according to the values of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. I have done nothing wrong and will not write anything against Dafa.” However, Chen Guixing, head of Politics and Security Section in the police department, decided to hold Mr. Zhu in Li County Detention Center. Zhang Chunliang, Li County 610 Office staff, and personnel from Li County Detention Center extorted 10,000 yuan from Mr. Zhu's family before they released him.

Forced to leave home to avoid further persecution

In April 2001, Zhang Xinying, deputy party head of Liwu County, and more than ten other people came to Mr. Zhu's home and aggressively knocked on the door. Zhu refused to open the door for them. Then they asked for Mr. Zhu's father-in-law, attempting to trick him into opening the door. Zhang Xinying called officers from Chengguan Police Station and told them to ransack Zhu's home. They were going to arrest him, and he tried to escape by jumping off the building from the third floor. His right arm, elbow, wrist, and hip were fractured. Zhang Xinying and officers from the Chengguan Police Station all left the area to avoid being held responsible. His belongings were taken away. Zhu's family borrowed 20,000 yuan from relatives to pay for his medical expenses while he was in the 252 Hospital in Baoding City. From July 1999 to April 2004, whenever it was one of the regime's “sensitive dates”, the 610 Office personnel and police would come to Mr. Zhu's home to harass him. He had to leave his home five times to avoid further persecution. Everyday, he survived by eating buns and pickles. At night, he stayed in an old, abandoned house.

Illegally arrested and held in a forced labor camp

At 7:00 p.m. on September 23, 2009, Li County 610 Office and Li County Police Department officers together illegally arrested fourteen practitioners. The practitioners were taken to Li County Detention Center. On the morning of September 26, Mr. Zhu Junqiang and Mr. Zhu Yanlong were taken to Gaoyang Forced Labor Camp and held there.

Wang Ruixin, deputy head of Li County Police Department, actively organized and led officers to engage in arresting the practitioners. First, they tried to open the door by ramming it. Next they used a fire truck ladder to climb into Zhu's home and tried to gain entry by breaking the windows. They also broke the door using a large axe. When they got in, they sprayed Mr. Zhu and his wife in the face with mace. The couple could hardly breathe or open their eyes. More than ten officers took Mr. Zhu to the police department and took away his personal belongings, including a desktop computer, a DVD player, an MP3 player, a printer, and his storage box. The cash and checks in the box were worth of hundreds of thousands of yuan, which Zhu and his brothers had saved to begin a business. Next, the police went to Mr. Zhu's Office and took away a DVD burner.

Li County Police Department officials decided to hold Mr. Zhu in the labor camp for two years. The practitioners held there were forced to work every day doing manual labor. They were forced to work even after they became exhausted. If they needed to take a break or worked slowly, they were beaten by the guards and shocked with electric batons. If they could not finish the work before the due date, they had to work all night. There were no breaks for them.

Practitioners were only allowed to take a shower once a year, usually around the Chinese New Year. The towel they used was shared by everyone. It was filthy, smelly, and covered in mildew.

If the guard was upset, he would verbally abuse practitioners. Moreover, he would slap their faces, kick them and shock them with an electric baton.

In Gaoyang Detention Center, Mr. Zhu went on a hunger strike to protest the mistreatment. However, every three days he was force-fed through his nose.