Name: Li Jianguo (李建国) / Zhao Shulan (赵舒兰)
Gender: Male/Female
Age: 65
Address: East Railroad Station Dormitory, Tangshan City, Hebei Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
May, 2011
Most recent place of detention:
Kaiping Police Substation (开平分局)
City: Tangshan
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, forced labor reform, long-term standing, sleep deprivation, tightening rope, beatings, electric shock, home ransacked, extortion.

( Mr. Li Jianguo and his wife Zhao Shulan were persecuted by the CCP because they firmly believe in Falun Gong. Mr. Li was sentenced to three years in a labor camp in 2000. In May of 2011, the couple was arrested again. Their home was ransacked, and they were both sentenced to one year in labor camp, with the sentence being served outside of the labor camp.

Cultivating Falun Gong Restored their Health

Mr. Li and his wife are both sixty-five years old. They live in the Tangshan City East Railroad Station Dormitory. Mr. Li used to have duodenal ulcers and rheumatoid arthritis. His wife was in a car accident when she was young. Several of her vertebrae were fractured and she became paralyzed. After years of treatment, she was able to go back to work, but she had chronic back pain and could not bear any weight. In 1996, they both began practicing Falun Gong and abiding by the principles of Truth-Compassion-Forbearance. In less than a year, both of them regained their health. They became firm and true Dafa disciples.

Suffering All Sorts of Torture in Labor Camp

On July 20, 1999, Jiang Zemin's regime and the CCP began persecuting Falun Gong. Mr. Li and fellow practitioners were persecuted by the Tangshan Public Security Bureau in 2000, and sentenced to three years in a labor camp. Mr. Li was held in the Tangshan and Baoding Labor Camps. He suffered all sorts of tortures, including long-term standing, sleep deprivation, tightening the rope, beaten with a club, and electric shock. He was released in 2003.

Torture re-enactment: Tightening the rope

Arrested Again, Belongings Confiscated

On May 16, 2011, the couple went to Wangqianzhuang Market. At around 10 a.m., a group of plainclothes officers from Zhengzhuangzi Township Police Station appeared at the market and dragged them to a police car.

They searched the couple, took away their cell phones, cash, and bicycles, and used their key to enter and ransack their home without any proper authorization. The couple was sent to the Kaiping Police Substation, and they were sentenced to one year in a labor camp, to be served outside of the labor camp.

They were held at the Tangshan Detention Center for 15 days. When they were released on May 31, they found that their home was a mess, and most of their personal belongings were gone. Without a proper warrant, no witnesses, and no family members present, the police had ransacked the home, and left no receipts for any of the personal belongings that had been taken.

The couple went to the Zhengzhuangzi Township Police Station several times to request the return of their personal belongings and asked to see a list of the items that had been taken. They saw the director of the police station, Zhao Xiwen, who returned only their bank book, microwave, and bicycles. The rest of their personal property has not been returned. When asked to return the cash that was taken that day, Zhao Xiwen denied that anyone had taken their cash. Later he revised his statement, saying that the amount of money was not right, and refused to return the cash. Regarding the list of personal belongings, he said that he would mail it to them. The couple has not received the list to this day.

Zhengzhuangzi Township Police Station, Li Chang, Zhang Zhiqiang: 86-13603258138 (Cell)