Name: Zhou Caixia(周彩霞)
Gender: Female
Age: Unknown
Address: Chifeng City, Mongolia Autonomous Region
Occupation: Head of the Women's Labor Division

Date of Death: July 13, 2003
Date of Most Recent Arrest: February 12, 2003
Most recent place of detention:
Baoanzhao Prison in Inner Mongolia (内蒙古保安召监狱 )
City: Baoanzhao, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, severe beatings, electric shock, force-feedings, forced labor reform, fired from workplace, brainwashing, long-term standing, illegal sentencing, imprisonment, hung up

Key Persecutors: Warden Zhou Jianhua(周建华)

( Ms. Zhou Caixia, the former head of the Women's Labor Division at the Main Labor Union in Chifeng City, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, was arrested and detained in the Hongshan District Detention Center in Chifeng City by Chinese Communist Party officials in February 2003. In July, she was transferred to Baoanzhao Prison in Inner Mongolia, which is known locally as “Baoanzhao Farm.” A few days later, she was persecuted to death by the prison warden, Zhou Jianhua.

Zhou Caixia

Ms. Zhou was arrested and brutally tortured many times by CCP officials. In the Second Women's Team in Tumuji Forced Labor Camp, she was brutally beaten and electrically shocked many times by prison police team leaders Luo, Ma, Na, and Yang. Her face was disfigured due to the beating. Later, she was transferred to the Women's Forced Labor Camp in Huhehaote City and brutally mistreated for over three weeks. She was persecuted so terribly that it affected her mentally. The heads of the CCP Politics and Law Committee in Chifeng City and in the Hongshan District all said that she would “have to die” if she did not give up her belief in Falun Dafa. Chifeng City 610 Office agents verified, “Even at the end, Zhou Caixia wanted to live, but we didn't want her to live.” He also hinted that “the upper level authorities had already decided to persecute her to death.”

1. Arrested and Brutally Persecuted in Forced Labor Camp

In October 2000, the CCP authorities in Chifeng City fabricated the so-called “October 15 Major Case” and arrested over 50 Falun Gong practitioners. After Ms. Zhou was arrested and detained at the Hongshan District Detention Center, she went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution. She was brutally force-fed and then sentenced to three years of forced labor. She was also fired by her employer.

In December, Ms. Zhou, Ms. Zheng Lanfeng, and another 15 practitioners were taken to Tumuji Forced Labor Camp. It was very cold in the winter. Just after they arrived, they were stripped of all their clothing to be searched. They all shivered from the freezing cold. They were subjected to brainwashing every day.

In February 2001, Ms. Zhou, Ms. Zheng Lanfeng, and other practitioners were forced to stand in the hallway of the forced labor team building for two hours because they had done the exercises. The police hit Ms. Zheng in the nose and it started to bleed. Another time, someone reported that Ms. Zhou had passed along new Falun Dafa articles. Guard Luo Jinfang called her into a room and slapped her face. Ms. Zhou was handcuffed to a bed overnight for doing the meditation.

For a while, the guards called Ms. Zhou to the office every night and asked if she still got up and did the Dafa exercises. When she said she did, they handcuffed her and forced her to stand from a few hours up to the entire night. They also planned to torture her. Sometimes they waited until she had just gone to bed, then they called her up. The next morning, she was still forced to do hard labor. Practitioners were assigned the heaviest work. The guards specially picked the heaviest work tools for Ms. Zhou and Ms. Zheng to use.

2. Brutal Beatings, Electric Shocks, and Hard Labor

In the spring of 2001, Tumuji Forced Labor Camp guards tortured practitioners because the practitioners did not shout the required slogans after finishing their work. They brought Ms. Zhou, Ms. Zheng Lanfeng, and two other practitioners to the office and slapped their faces. Then they used an electric baton on them, which caused Ms. Zhou's face to swell up very badly and develop blisters.

Torture Re-enactment: Using electric shock to try to force practitioners to “transform”

In April 2001, Ms. Zhou's husband, Ma Yuemin, brought two people from the Hongshan District Court in Chifeng City to Tumuji Forced labor Camp to divorce Zhou Caixia. Ms. Zhou said she did not want the house or anything inside their home and requested that it all be given to their child.

One noon in the summer of 2001, Ms. Zhou, Ms. Zheng, and other practitioners did not shout the slogans after finishing their work. The guards sent those practitioners to the yard where they were exposed to the sun without protection for over two hours. They did not allow the practitioners to eat anything or drink any water. In the afternoon, the practitioners were still forced to do slave labor work.

During that same summer, those in charge hosted a meeting called “exposing others.” The practitioners protested the meeting. Some were immediately taken away from the meeting place and detained in the confinement room. Practitioners Ms. Liu Xiaoxin, Ms. Liu Xiurong, Ms. Li Chunxia, Ms. Guo Junxium, and Ms. Peng Huiyi were detained for 15 days. All the other practitioners went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution. They did not go to work and requested the release of the practitioners who were detained. Ms. Zhou, Ms. Zheng Lanfeng, Ms. Hu Sumin, and Ms. Wu Yanlan were all force-fed food with a tube by the guards. Ms. Zhou and Ms. Zheng were forced to do the slave labor during their seven-day hunger strike. It was very hot in the summer at Tumuji. They did not eat or drink for seven days and were forced to work under the sun.

Torture Re-enactment: Brutal force-feeding

Because Ms. Zhou and Ms. Zheng Lanfeng did not give up cultivating Falun Dafa, those in charge watched them very closely. The guards did not allow them to talk to other practitioners. When they went to the restroom, went to work, or rested in the prison dorm, there was always someone sent to watch them and report their actions. Once Ms. Zheng Lanfeng was brought to the front yard and handcuffed for the entire morning. The guards frequently stripped off Ms. Zhou Caixia and Ms. Zheng Lanfeng's clothing and searched to see if they had any Dafa articles. Guards Wu Hongxia, Luo Jinfang, and Zhou Guoling were the main ones who participated in persecuting Ms. Zhou and Ms. Zheng.

Once in Tumuji Forced Labor Camp, guard Zhou Guoling said to Ms. Zhou Caixia, “You have nothing right now. If we executed you, nobody will collect your dead body.”

3. Persecuted to Death

In July 2001, Ms. Zhou Caixia and several other practitioners were taken from the Tumuji Forced Labor Camp to the Women's Forced Labor Camp in Huhehaote City. They were only allowed to bring a few thin shirts, no coats or sweaters. Due to all the brutal torture, Ms. Zhou's condition was critical. Later she was taken home by her brother. But the police from Chifeng City 610 Office and Hongshan District 610 Office went to her residence frequently to harass her. A head of the Politics and Law Office shouted in front of her, “Zhou Caixia was stubborn and refused to be 'transformed.' She will have to die.”

On February 12, 2003, Ms. Zhou Caixia and Ms. Zheng Lanfeng were arrested again. Ten days later, Ms. Zheng was persecuted to death at the Hongshan Detention Center. When her family members put a cloth on her dead body, they found her mouth wide open and her eyes staring. Her face had an expression of extreme pain. They could not close her eyes. Her back was black and blue and had obvious bruises. All her fingers were also dark blue.

When the police, who were controlled by the Chifeng City 610 Office, still could not “transform” Ms. Zhou after using all kinds of brutal torture, they sentenced her to prison. When her life was in grave danger, the head of the Chifeng City 610 Office, Yang Chunyue, hypocritically allowed her to do the exercises as a bargain for her to stop her hunger strike. Ms. Zhou practiced the exercises every day and she started to recover immediately. The 610 Office took this chance to transfer her to Baoanzhao Prison.

On July 4, 2003, the day Ms. Zhou was imprisoned, warden Zhou Jianhua ordered other prisoners to drag her into a room. They stripped off her pants and only allowed her to wear underwear. Zhou Jianhua handcuffed Ms. Zhou in a position that made it impossible to sit or lay down. When Ms. Zhou went on a hunger strike to protest this treatment, Zhou Jianhua tortured her even more brutally. The flesh on Ms. Zhou's wrists was torn away and her bones were exposed. Then Zhou Jianhua hung Ms. Zhou up and did not let her down until she died.

On the evening of July 12, Zhou Jianhua went to the room where Ms. Zhou was and brutally tortured and beat her. Over 30 people at the scene witnessed it. Prisoners Kong Fanli, Bai Jinlian, Chen Siqin, and Li Fengyun participated in the torture. Zhou Jianhua ordered the prisoners to stuff Ms. Zhou's mouth with a cloth that had been used to wipe the floor. He used his shoes to slap her face over 20 times, and blood flew all over the place. But he did not stop until Ms. Zhou could no longer breathe. Then he asked, “Do you still believe in Falun Gong? Are you still going to do the exercises?” Ms. Zhou answered, “Yes!”

Zhou Jianhua got very angry. He ordered prisoners Kong Fanli, Bai Jinlian, Chen Siqin, and Li Fengyun to drag Ms. Zhou Caixia outside and hang her on the basketball frame. Both of her hands were cuffed and she was hung so that her feet did not touch the ground. It was after 10 p.m. on the night of July 12. The next morning at about 4 a.m., Ms. Zhou Caixia died on the basketball frame. Zhou Jianhua tried every way he could think of to conceal his crime. He threatened prisoners Chen Siqin and others not to tell anyone about it. Then he reported to his superiors that Zhou Caixia had suddenly died due to an acute disease.

Torture Re-enactment: Cuffed and hung up

After Ms. Zhou Caixia was tortured to death, Yang Chunyue, Chen Xiaodong, and Meng Heping from the Chifeng City 610 Office all actively participated in creating and spreading rumors to the public in order to conceal the truth that Ms. Zhou Caixia was persecuted to death. To keep the public from learning the cause of her death, the Chifeng City 610 Office always told the outside that Ms. Zhou died in Huhehaote City.

According to someone from the Inner Mongolia forced labor camp system, Zhou Caixia's death was due to the fact that the Inner Mongolia 610 Office wields direct control over the prison system. The Inner Mongolia 610 Office had a set a death quota for Falun Gong practitioners. Otherwise, Zhou Jianhua definitely would not have dared to persecute Zhou Caixia to death.

Related article: