Name: Hou Yanshuang (侯延双)
Gender: Male
Age: 50
Address: Lingyuan City, Liaoning Province
Occupation: Employed by Lingyuan Steel Limited, Corp.
Date of Death: March 3, 2011
Date of Most Recent Arrest: October 21, 2001
Most Recent Place of Detention: First Prison of Shenyang City Prison Block (沈阳监狱城第一监狱)
City: Shenyang
Province: Liaoning
Persecution Suffered: Brainwashing, illegal sentencing, beatings, imprisonment, extortion
Key Persecutors: Wang Bin (王斌), director of Shenyang Prison: 86-2489296100 (Office); Jia Ke (贾轲), Management Office chair; Shi Qingjun(施清军), deputy warden: 86-15698802358(Cell)

( Since Mr. Hou Yanshuang's death was reported outside of China, Shenyang First Prison officials have been afraid their outrageous actions would be exposed. Higher levels of the CCP also panicked. They did not check who was in charge of the case, whether the prison broke the law, or whether Mr. Hou's family was given an explanation. Their only concern was how the news of Mr. Hou's death got out of China.

In order to cover up their crimes, the Shenyang First Prison and the Lingyuan law enforcement departments colluded with each other to threaten Mr. Hou's family. They tapped his relatives' phones. Under such terrifying conditions, Mr. Hou's immediate family and relatives are under tremendous pressure.

Mr. Hou Yanshuang was detained and persecuted in the Shenyang First Prison. As a result of persecution, he suffered many severe illnesses, including Level III hypertension, heart disease, and multiple strokes. His family requested his release on bail for medical treatment many times. However, the prison turned down all of their requests. On April 3, 2011, Mr. Hou passed away as a result of persecution.

Mr. Hou's ordeal began ten years ago. On October 21, 2001, personnel from the Security Office of Lingyuan Steel Factory, the Lingyuan 610 Office, and the local police station arrested Mr. Hou because he refused to renounce his belief in Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. The Lingyuan Court later illegally sentenced him to 14 years in prison. Those directly in charge included Yuan Cheng De, former deputy Party secretary of Lingyuan Steel Factory; Ma Riming, former chief of the Security Office of Lingyuan Steel Factory; Yang Minghui, former director of the Lingyuan Police Department; and Fu Yanling, former chief of the Lingyuan 610 Office. The Security Office of Lingyuan Steel Factory took about 90,000 yuan cash from Mr. Hou's home.

On August 27, 2002, Mr. Hou was transferred to Shenyang Prison. Jia Ke, Management Office chair, ordered prisoner Liu Tefeng to beat Mr. Hou on the head, neck, and back with a thick rubber tube, severely injuring him. The prison did not provide Mr. Hou any medical treatment. During one of these attacks Mr. Hou had a heart attack. The prison doctor told the warden that Mr. Hou had head injuries, which the warden ignored. From the results of the the CT scan of his brain, a professional said the film was taken long after the patient had had a relapse. This means the patient did not receive timely treatment. The prison only sent Mr. Hou to the prison hospital. Mr. Hou told his family he was abused in the prison hospital. However, he could not disclose the details because he was being watched by guards. Mr. Hou's family requested his release on bail for medical treatment many times. However, warden Wang Bin said, “There are two conditions for release on bail for medical treatment. One is a written guarantee that the person has given up the practice of Falun Gong; the other is that the hospital issues a notification that the person is on the verge of death.” Under the prison's order, the notification of “critical condition” is only issued just before the patient dies.

Related article: