Name: Yang Guixia (杨桂霞)
Gender: Female
Age: 56
Address: Section 9, Dongfeng New Village, Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
March 2, 2011
Most Recent Place of Detention:
Daqing City No. 1 Detention Center (大庆市第一看守所)
City: Daqing
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, home ransacking, extortion, illegal sentencing

( At around 9:00 a.m. on April 28, 2011, in Daqing City, a car drove up to the entrance of Gaoxin District Procuratorate. Two police officers escorted Ms. Yang Guixia, dressed in yellow prison clothes and wearing slippers, out of the car. Friends and family who had waited for some time saw her from afar. She looked pale and thin, her eyes and cheeks were sunken, her legs could not support her, and she could not walk.

Ms. Yang's daughter cried out, “Mother!” Her younger sister shouted, “Sister!” with tears running down her face. Many onlookers cried, too. However, Ms. Yang, who was terminally ill as a result of the persecution, did not have any reaction. There was no expression in her eyes, nor did she utter a sound or respond in any way.

A trial with no regard for human life

Ms. Yang was carried into the courthouse. Only about a dozen family members and several senior citizens with concession cards were allowed into the courtroom to hear the trial.

Ms. Yang sat in the defendant's seat, her thin body propped against the chair. Her hands were clenched in fists and she could not stop shaking. She groaned in pain, her body was stiff, and she looked as if she was going to slide off the chair.

The trial was overseen by Li Xueping, presiding judge from Kaifa District Court, Judges Sun Kangkai and Li Kanming, as well as two prosecutors from Kaifa Procuratorate. They read the statement of charges to Ms. Yang, who was twitching and groaning and not in her right mind, and a dozen family members. The court proceedings lasted just ten minutes.

When Li Xueping once again asked Ms. Yang if she had anything to say in her defense and if she had heard what was said, Ms. Yang shuddered even more terribly and fainted. Her whole body was stiff and turned to the left side, and convulsing.

Her family cried out, “She is already in such a state and yet you are still holding the trial?” A group of police officers stopped them from getting close to her and pushed them out of the courtroom into the corridor.

Li Xueping was frightened by the commotion and ran out of the courtroom. The other judges and prosecutors also left the room in fear.

The police subsequently drove Ms. Yang's family out of the courthouse.

In order to avoid Ms. Yang's family members and onlookers outside the building, the court sent four people to lift Ms. Yang into the police vehicle from a side door and secretly take her back to the detention center. The next day, a Friday, her family members went to Kaifa District Court to get information about her condition, but there was no one there. They rang Li Xueping but her phone was always switched off.

Ms. Yang Guixia's life is in danger. Her family unsuccessfully sought help for her release for two months and are now physically and mentally drained.

Ms. Yang was illegally arrested by police in the Gaoxin District Department, Daqing City, while she was giving out truth-clarifying materials on March 2, 2011. Her home was ransacked, and she was tortured during interrogation and detained for nearly two months. Her physical condition deteriorated as a result of the persecution. On April 28, the Gaoxin District Court went so far as to put her on trial her despite her critical physical condition.

Bedridden after being persecuted in Harbin Drug Rehabilitation Center eight years ago

Ms. Yang Guixia has had a hard life. In 1992, her 12-year-old daughter died in a car accident. Her husband passed away in 2008 and in recent years, she lived with her adolescent daughter, relying on meagre subsidies.

Ms. Yang once suffered from severe hyperthyroid heart disease and fainted frequently. She regained her health after starting to practice Falun Gong in 1998.

In July 2002, Ms. Yang was sentenced to two years of forced labor for distributing Falun Gong materials and imprisoned in Harbin Drug Rehabilitation Center.

In April 2003, due to the persecution, Ms. Yang had a relapse of her old illness. She went into spasms, lost control of her limbs, and was not able to take care of herself. She was also incontinent and was covered in scabies. She was diagnosed by Harbin Hospital as suffering from adenoma, tuberculosis meningitis, and other illnesses. In September 2003, she could not get our of bed, had lost her eyesight, could not eat anything, and was nearly dying.

Her family took her from the forced labor camp to Daqing General Hospital. Doctors diagnosed her with brain stem degeneration and ataxia. As a result of her illness, she lost control over her facial expression, hands, legs and body. She could not walk, sit, or stand steadily. She could not see clearly and had difficulty swallowing food. There was no treatment for her illness and her life was in constant danger.

A family member played the audio recording of Master's lectures and took care of her. Her symptoms became less severe and she became more alert. Gradually she could see things, eat, and get out of bed. She could take small steps and managed to take care of herself.

Persecuted again for clarifying the truth and on the brink of death

For many years, Ms. Yang Guixia depended on Falun Gong to preserve her life. She was deeply aware that her life was extended by practicing Falun Gong. Hence, no matter how severely the communist regime persecuted practitioners, she refused to give up the practice. She often dragged her weak body and did what she could to tell people the truth about Falun Gong.

On March 2, 2011, Ms. Yang placed a few flyers on cars parked near her home. A dozen officers from Dongfeng Police Station arrested her and ransacked her home. They found several Falun Gong flyers and confiscated her computer, two printers, paper cutter, her deposit book with 2,200 yuan, and all her Falun Gong books and materials. They also illegally arrested her teenage daughter.

That day, officers from Gaoxin District Police Department interrogated mother and daughter, day and night, using torture. They fabricated statements and reported to their superiors that this was a “big case.”

Family members spent tens of thousands of yuan to bail out her daughter and get back the printer and the bank deposit book that were confiscated. Nevertheless, Ms. Yang remained detained. Gaoxin District Police Department filed her case with the Procuratorate, and she was scheduled for a trial.

Family members visited Wang Gang and Zhang Zhibang, who were handling Ms. Yang's case, and told them she was severely ill. They repeatedly requested that police send Ms. Yang to the hospital for a medical examination and be granted bail pending trial. However, both of them passed the buck. They either found an excuse to leave before Ms. Yang's family could finish what they had to say or drove them out.

By the latter half of March, Ms. Yang had already been detained for about two weeks. Someone who was in the same cell as she and later released, told her relatives that Ms. Yang basically could not look after herself. On March 28, Ms. Yang was “officially arrested.”

On April 8, Ms. Yang's family went to see Pan Yunlong, an officer with the Gaoxin Procuratorate who was in charge of her case. Pan said, “Her illness is quite severe and very dangerous. I will report this to the court right away so that she can be granted a medical parole after the trial.” Her family said, “She is already in such a state, yet you want to try her?” Pan Yunlong did not wait for her to finish and slipped away, saying that he had a meeting to go to.

On April 11, the case was submitted to the court. Ms. Yang's family went to see the presiding judge, Li Xueping. Li said that Ms. Yang would be sentenced to 3 – 7 years of imprisonment. When they told her about Ms. Yang's physical condition, she said, “I will report this to the head of the court.” However, a few days went by and they did not hear anything from her.

While the case was being handled, the police, Procuratorate, and court deliberately broke the law by disregarding Ms. Yang's severe physical condition and rapidly deteriorating health. They used all sorts of excuses to avoid and turn down her family's reasonable requests and kept Ms. Yang locked up in the detention center.

On April 28, Gaoxin District Court tried Ms. Yang, who was in spasms and unconscious for more than 10 minutes. Later on, they lifted her into a waiting police vehicle, took her to the Daqing First Detention Center and continued to detain her.

Information for those involved in Ms. Yang's case:

Gaoxin District Police Department:
Sun Huacheng, police department head: 86-459-6280029 (Office), 86-13394660029, 86-13836709004
Jiao Xizhong, political commissar: 86-459-6288277 (Office), 86-459-2688000, 86-13351299789
Wang Gang, officer in the criminal police team handling her case: 86-459-6043217 (Office), 86-459-8997007, 86-13339599900

Pan Yunlong, officer in the Gaoxin District Procuratorate
He Wenping, head of Gaoxin District Procuratorate: 86-459-8996588 (Office)
Head trial judges Sun Kangkai: 86-459-8996560 (Office); Li Kanming

Fan Zuojiang, head of the Gaoxin District 610 Office: 86-13384597001

Daqing City First Detention Center:
Zhang Zhipang, political head: 86-459-4617592, 86-459-6362376, 86-13394660191

For more information, please see