Name: Dong Shulan(董淑兰)
Gender: Female
Age: 62
Address: Jilin City, Jilin Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: December 19, 2006
Most Recent Place of Detention:
Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp, Changchun City
City: Changchun
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, brutal beating, long-term standing, electric shock, sleep deprivation, forced labor, torture, hung up, brainwashing, solitary confinement, denied visitation

( Ms. Dong Shulan has practiced Falun Gong for many years. In the past nine years, she has been sent three times to a forced labor camp and imprisoned for over five years in total. Currently, three of her daughters are still imprisoned. On May 7, 2011, her home was broken into, ransacked, and looted by the Changyi District Public Security.

On May 7 Ms. Dong Shulan's home was broken into, ransacked, and looted by officers from the Changyi District and Lianhua Public Security Bureau in Jilin City.

Before cultivating Falun Gong, Ms. Dong suffered from many diseases such as tuberculosis, pleural emphysema, and nephroptosis (a floating kidney), and had had several major surgeries to remove five ribs, gallstones, kidney stones, cervical vertebra, etc. The most serious was a rare condition known as malignant reticulosis, related to deterioration of reticulum cells—it was worse than a malignant tumor or leukemia. There is no known cure, and she lived in agony. She was referred to the Tianjin Blood Research Center by a Jilin Hospital. Many hospitals even used her as a clinical specimen. Due to huge debts incurred from hospital costs, she decided to simply do nothing and wait to die.

In mid-April 1996, Ms. Dong decided to practice Falun Dafa. Through studying the Fa and doing the exercises, her health improved day by day. In less than a month, all the health problems that had plagued her for years were gone. She regained energy and walked like a healthy young woman. Seeing the huge changes in her, all her neighbors were amazed. They exclaimed, "Falun Gong is so miraculous!" Approximately a dozen people began cultivating Dafa as a result. She was filled with gratitude towards Master. It was Falun Dafa that gave her a second life.

On July 20, 1999, the CCP began its brutal persecution of Falun Gong. Ms. Dong was very hurt and began telling others about the goodness of Falun Gong. She told them about her own experience of how she benefited both spiritually and physically. She told them about how Falun Gong is a practice that teaches people to cultivate their hearts and become good, kind people. She used her own, personal experience to validate the beauty and miraculousness of Dafa.

Over the past ten years, she suffered many forms of brutal torture after being arrested. In December 2006, officers from the Second Big Team of the Jilin City police tied her to a tiger bench. Three of them tried to tried to put her fingerprints on a document, but she refused to cooperate. In the end her thumb was severely injured, and an entire fingernail on her left hand fell off. Three or four more officers arrived and dragged her elsewhere. She saw metal pipes on the wall with handcuffs hanging from them. There was also blood on the wall. One policeman said, "Have you ever seen this before? Many people more stubborn than you have bowed under this torture. If you don't cooperate, we'll give you drugs. Then, three or four officers handcuffed Ms. Dong's left hand and hung her up so that her toes barely touched the floor. After a very long time, they returned and fingerprinted her right hand onto a document. They then hung her by her right handcuff and took the fingerprints from her left hand. After taking both sets of fingerprints, she was left to hang for an extended time. When she was taken down, they immediately transferred her onto a tiger bench.

Torture re-enactment: Tiger Bench

The police imprisoned Ms. Dong in Heizuizi Labor Camp for a year. They tortured her to try to make her give up her belief in Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. When she refused to write the Three Statements renouncing her belief and regretting her past actions, she was brutally beaten, forced to stand by the wall, not allowed to speak to anyone, not allowed to sleep, shocked with electric batons, and forced to perform 16 or 17 hours of slave labor everyday. She had to work overtime very often and if she did not complete her tasks, they threatened to increase her sentence. They even denied her family visits. She suffered huge blows both physically and mentally. All her family members and friends also suffered varying degrees of persecution.

On October 1, 2000, she traveled to Tiananmen Square in Beijing to clarify the truth about Falun Gong, but the police arrest her and sent to a labor camp for three years. While imprisoned, she was brutally beaten, forced to stand by the wall, shocked with electric batons, not allowed to speak, not allowed to sleep, and forced to perform slave labor for 16 to 17 hours a day.

On April 12, 2005, she went to a good friend's home to visit. She was brutally apprehended by police officers from the Domestic Protection Team from Longtan Division Bureau and the Shanqian Police Station when she got there. She was sent to a labor camp for a year, and they extended her sentenced another 12 days.

She was released in April 2006. In July her daughter, Liu Hongxia, was seized by police officers while she was working at her own office supply store in a shopping mall. Ms. Liu was imprisoned at the Second Big Team of the Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp for several months. She was not allowed to see any visitors.

December 19, 2006, Ms. Dong's family traveled to the labor camp to visit their daughter again. This time, the arrangements went smoothly and the labor camp even allowed them to share a meal. While they were talking to her, Lian Guangri, the Management Section Chief in the labor camp, said he needed to talk with Ms. Dong. Ms. Dong refused to cooperate and the family got up to leave. Ms. Dong realized the danger and wanted to leave immediately. However, when she walked down the stairs to the registration desk, she was quickly seized by Lian and handcuffed. They called the local police station and three policemen arrived. They wanted to interrogate her and took her away. She said she had come to see her daughter and that the authorities had no reason to persecute her. Lian called the local police force asking for reinforcements. At around 1 or 2 p.m., three of four more officers from the local police force arrived. MS. Dong was carried to a police car and taken to the Second Big Team of Jilin City's police force. On the night of December 20, she was taken to a detention center.

On the afternoon of January 25, 2007, the Chuanying Division Bureau sent her to Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp, where she was sentenced to a year. Camp guard Wang Lihui beat Ms. Dong brutally because she refused to give up her beliefs. Ms. Dong's hands were shocked with electric batons, and then they isolated her in a small room. Several collaborators came into the room and monitored her 24/7, not allowing her to come into contact with anyone or go downstairs for food. She was even followed to the washroom, and had no personal freedom. She was only allowed less than 15 minutes to eat and could never finish her meal before she was forced to return. Nearly three weeks later, she was forced to do slave labor. Everyday she was forced to perform extra-strenuous work, often working overtime. If she did not finish any task, they threatened to lengthen her sentence. She was prohibited from meeting any visitors, even when visitors came to the door. They were told that it was the labor camp's decision and they required authorization from their supervisors in order to allow her to see anyone. Because her daughter was imprisoned in another Big Team, they were also afraid that Ms. Dong might see her daughter. They guarded every corridor and every walkway, and monitored her 24/7 to prevent her from seeing her daughter. Even her dining hall seat was switched several times to prevent her from seeing her daughter.

Around April 27, 2011, Ms. Dong's three daughters, her son, and their spouses—seven in all—were all picked up by the Lianhua Public Security Bureau. Ms. Dong was forced to live away from her home. Currently, her daughters Liu Honghui, Liu Hongyan, and Liu Hongxia and her son-in-law Li Guangjun are all imprisoned in the Jilin City Detention Center.

At around 4 p.m. on May 7, 2011, Ms. Dong returned home only to find it looted. All her money had been taken, and the place was turned upside-down. She confirmed that it was police officers from the Changyi District Public Security Bureau and the Lianhua Public Security Bureau who broke into her home while she was not around, stealing her savings and cash totaling over 13,000 yuan, one computer, 3 printers, a hole-punching machine, a laminating machine, a DVD-burner, and many other valuables.