Name: Xuan Lanzhu (旋兰柱)
Gender: Male
Age: Unknown
Address: Shenbeixin District Railroad Housing
Occupation: Former worker at the Shenyang City Xinchengzi Chemical Plant
Date of Most Recent Arrest: January 7, 2004
Most Recent Place of Detention: Zhangshi Forced Labor Camp (张士教养院)
City: Shenyang
Province: Liaoning
Persecution Suffered: Electric shock, sleep deprivation, forced labor, brainwashing, illegal sentencing, beatings, imprisonment, solitary confinement, torture, sexual assault, physical restraint, interrogation, detention

( Since 2004, Mr. Xuan Lanzhu has been arrested by Shenbeixin District 610 Office agents, local police and neighborhood and community staff, and sent to Shenbeixin District Detention Center and Zhangshi Forced Labor Camp. After he returned home, he was monitored and harassed by the Party Secretary of Xinhua Community. Below is his own account of what he has endured.

Taken to Shenbeixin District Detention Center in 2004, Shocked with Electric Batons and Locked to a Ground Ring

About 1 p.m. on January 7, 2004, staff from the Shenbeixin District 610 Office, Police Station and Neighborhood and Community Center came to my home, ordered me and my family to give up practicing Falun Gong, and took away eight to nine Falun Gong lectures and truth-clarification flyers. They took me to the police station and interrogated me.

Police officer Duan Qingzhu demanded that I “confess” and sign a confession. Since I did not break any laws or commit a crime, I refused to sign. Duan Qingzhu grabbed my collar and twisted it to choke me. Then he grabbed hold of my legs, pushed me onto a stool, and repeatedly slapped my face.

That same day, Shenbeixin District Police Station officials sent me to Shenbeixin District Detention Center. Chief Fang and officer Wu at the detention center asked me if I would still practice. When I said I would, Wu punched me in the chest. Blood gushed into my mouth, but I swallowed it. After that I coughed up blood.

The police then asked me if I would still practice. Again I answered, “Yes.” Chief Fang brought in a big, high-voltage electric shock baton. After they had tortured me for several minutes, Fang and Wu pulled off my clothes, leaving only my underpants. They tortured my sensitive areas with the electric baton, including my neck, armpits, chest, ribs and genitals. The smell of burnt flesh filled the room.

Torture re-enactment: Shocking genitals with an electric baton

After midnight on January 8, I was taken to Room No. 1 of the strict management team. The cell head, Qian Bin, was extremely violent and vicious. The police cuffed my limbs to four rings on the ground and ordered Qian Bin to watch me for six days and nights. I was deprived of sleep, and only one hand was released for mealtimes. When I ate, he hit me. When I refused to eat, he hit me. As soon as I closed my eyes, he hit me, and he hit me whenever he liked. Several places on my head bled as a result of what Qian Bin and his collaborators did to me. My family requested to see me, but were not allowed to. Because I had visible injuries, the guards feared that their evildoing would be exposed.

Torture re-enactment: Locked to a ground ring

Once during the interrogation, I repeatedly asked the police who examined me, “Do police violate the law when they are hitting people?” They answered, “Police hitting people is not a national issue. It is a personal issue.” I asked that the person who tortured me be brought to trial and that they release me unconditionally. The police did not reply.

The police charged me with “disturbing social order” and sent me to Zhangshi Forced Labor Camp.

Xinhua Community Party Secretary Monitors and Harasses Me Repeatedly

I returned home from the forced labor camp around March 20, 2005. The then Xinhua Community secretary, Li Huaizhen, and chief Wang Zhenqun often came to my home to harass and threaten me and my family. They placed a monitoring and tracking network downstairs from my residence. They followed me and tracked me with all kinds of vehicles, disturbing my family life. I refused to sign and fill out forms at their request.

In 2008, Xinhua Community changed its name to Xinjian Community, and secretary Guo Ennian stepped up the monitoring.

After April or May 2009, Guo Ennian often came to my home, checked on me, and often tried to intimidate me.

In early March 2011, the head of the Shenbeixin District Police Station, Guo Ennian, and two others came to my home and asked me if I still practiced. Guo said they would “strike hard” and maybe arrest me. I replied, “I am not violating the law by practicing Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. You want to 'strike hard?' That has nothing to do with us. You do not catch the bad guys, just the good people who practice Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. That is violating heaven's law and the country's law.”