Name: Xiang Huaixiang (向槐香)
Gender: Female
Age: 60s
Address: Chenzhou City, Hunan Province
Occupation: Retired
Date of Most Recent Arrest: July 19, 2010
Most Recent Place of Detention: A detention center in Chenzhou City
City: Chenzhou
Province: Hunan
Persecution Suffered: Detention, home ransacked, confiscation of over 15,000 yuan and personal belongings.
Key Persecutors: Liao Binggang, Zhang Heping, and Huang Jiangao

( On the morning of March 7, 2011, the Suxian District Court in Chenzhou City, Hunan Province, tried Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Xiang Huaixiang for the second time. The whole trial was just to keep up an appearance of following “legal procedures.” The court did even not notify Ms. Xiang's family. The court appointed a defense attorney for her without her authorization. The attorney followed the court's instructions to plead “guilty” on her behalf. All the unjust proceedings were ordered by the president of the court, Huang Jiangao, who actively followed the CCP's orders to persecute Falun Gong.

Ms. Xiang's Husband Appealed for His Wife

On January 28, 2011, Chen Zhiqiang, over 60, walked in the cold weather to the Suxian District Public Security Bureau, the Suxian District Procuratorate, the Suxian District 610 Office, and the Suxian District Court to appeal to CCP officials to release his wife, Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Xiang Huaixiang.

Ms. Xian Huaixiang is over 60 years old. She has been illegally detained in the Chenzhou City Detention Center for over six months. On July 19, 2010, the Chenzhou City 610 Office, the Suxian District 610 Office, the Suxian and Beihu National Security Team, and Nanta Police Station worked together to arrest Ms. Xiang. The police searched her home and took away her computer, printer, CD burner, and other personal belongings. They also took away 15,000 yuan in cash. Four months later, she was accused by the Suxian District Procuratorate and tried by the Suxian District Court. She did not admit that clarifying the truth of Falun Gong was a crime. In the end, the court could not sentence her.

Daughter Persecuted to Death by the CCP, Justice Could Not Be Done

Mr. Chen Zhiqiang appealed to the officials at those CCP government departments. Below is his appeal.

“Xiang Huaixiang is a very good person. When she worked at the Chenzhou Branch of China Construction Bank on the archive staff, her office was honored as a 'National Advanced Archive Office' because of her excellent work. This honor was very rare at that time. She was also a good wife and mother at home. She took good care of me. I do not opposite her practicing Falun Gong.

“It is unjust that good Falun Gong practitioners have been persecuted. Especially my only daughter, Chen Lijuan, who was brutally persecuted to death for practicing Falun Gong. We were all deeply grieved. My daughter was just over 20 years old and was in college. She appealed to the higher authorities on behalf of Falun Gong. But she was arrested by chief Chen Bingzhi and others from the Politics and Protection Section in Chenzhou City (now known as Chenzhou City National Security Team) and was detained at the detention center. Chen Bingzhi asked us to pay 10,000 yuan to bail her out. I told him I was a few thousand tuan short and begged him to release my daughter first. But he would not agree. My daughter was brutally tortured in the detention center, which caused her to develop a mental disorder. In July 2000, she was sent to a mental hospital for treatment. But the treatment only made her situation worse. She finally died in November 2004.

“Such a young life was just gone. I could not take it. I grabbed a knife and wanted to look for the police officer who persecuted my daughter to death and take their lives. My wife held me tightly and begged me through her tears, 'Please calm down. It is a crime to kill. I have already lost my daughter. I cannot lose you.'

“My wife and I worked diligently. We follow the government’s policy to 'delay marriage and childbirth' and the 'one child' policy, and we only had one child. But now we are in this miserable situation. We are now alone and have to take care of each other by ourselves. Now you have arrested my wife and detained her for over six months. According to the law, if you could not find any evidence in over six months, you should release her. It is going to be Chinese New Year very soon. I am alone at home and my life is miserable. I have already reached the limit of my patience.”

President of the Court Huang Jiangao Persecuted Falun Gong Practitioners for Personal Advancement

When the officials heard Chen Zhiqiang's appeal, they discussed it over and over, and finally agreed to grant release with bail before trial. The chief judge of Suxian District Court reported to President Huang Jiangao of the Suxian District Court. Huang Jiangao said, “Let the husband go to the proper departments to get approval signatures first.”

Chen Zhiqiang went to the National Security Team in the Suxian District Public Security Bureau, the Persecution Section of the Suxian District Procuratorate, and the Suxian District 610 Office to negotiate and finally got all the approval signatures. The next day, he went to the Suxian District Court to ask for the approval. The chief judge notified the police to go to the detention center at 4 p.m. to release Ms. Xiang Huaixiang. But when the chief judge sent the documentation to President Huang Jiangao for approval, Huang Jiangao said he needed to think about it. Chen Zhiqiang waited until 5 p.m. when the office closed, but he did not hear anything from the court.

Three days later, Chen Zhiqiang went to the court again accompanied by his relatives and friends. He asked for Chief Judge Huang Yong. Huang Yong said Mr. Chen needed to talk to the president. When they found President Huang Jiangao and told him the situation, Huang Jiangao said, “No, I don't want to take any responsibility. The National People's Congress and Political Consultative Conference are coming up soon. In case Ms. Xiang Huaixiang goes to appeal again or is arrested again, I will lose my job, not to mention a possible promotion.” Chen Zhiqiang's friends and relatives said, “We guarantee these things will not happen. In case something happens, it will be our responsibility. Didn't you agree that if the proper departments agreed, your court would release Xiang Huaixiang?”

Chen Zhiqiang was grieved and angry. He told the president about his wife and the tragedy of their daughter. And he also said he could not live like that anymore and he no longer cared about his own life. Huang Jiangao thought Mr. Chen was threatening him. He banged the table and stood up, “How dare you threaten me? How dare you shout here?”

Chen Zhiqiang's relatives repeatedly negotiated with Huang Jiangao, but he did not agree to anything. In the end, Huang Jiangao figured out a way to escape. He said he needed to report to a higher level authority and ask for their decision. He told Chen Zhiqiang that he would respond after two days and for him to wait at home. But after two days, he still did not release Ms. Xiang Huaixiang.

When some Falun Gong practitioners heard about this, they made telephone calls, send text messages and letters, and talked to people to clarify the truth of Falun Gong to Huang Jiangao and hoped he would made the right choice.

But on March 7, 2011, in morning, Huang Jiangao ordered Chief Judge Huang Yong of the Suzhou District Court and section chief Yu of the Suxian District Procuratorate to try Ms. Xiang Huaixiang secretly for the second time. When she was escorted into the courthouse from the car, she shouted, “Falun Dafa is good! Restore my reputation!” She happened to be heard by someone who knew her. This person immediately notified her husband, Chen Zhiqiang, to come to observe the proceedings.

Contact information:

Huang Jiangao, promoted to president and CCP Party secretory of the Suxian District Court in Chenzhou City in September 2010: 18973549599 (cell)

Related article:

Chinese version available at湖南法轮功学员向槐香被秘密开庭-233223.html)