(Clearwisdom.net) Qinduankou Prison is one of the prisons directly controlled by the Hubei Province Prison Administrative Bureau. It is located at 140 Miliangshan New Village, Qinduankou Street, Hanyang District, Wuhan City. It is one of the worst places where the CCP persecutes Falun Gong practitioners in Hubei Province. Since 1999, it has detained and persecuted over 100 practitioners.

The practitioners who were arrested and detained here firmly believed in Falun Dafa and resisted the persecution. What was happening in Qinduankou Prison finally could not go on anymore. In 2007, many imprisoned Falun Gong practitioners were transferred to Fanjiatai Prison in Shayang. The persecution at Qinduankou Prison was restrained.

Front Door of Qinduankou Prison in Hubei Province

Part 1: Cases of Severe Persecution in Qinduankou Prison

A. Zhou Jiangang Beaten So Brutally That He Is Now a Paraplegic, His Family Calls on the Public for Help

1. Brutally Beaten for Protesting the Persecution

Mr. Zhou Jiangang was born on June 10, 1959, and lived at 396-5 Zhongshan Road, Wuchang District, Wuhan City. After he started to cultivate Falun Gong, his body and mind greatly benefited, and his moral standards improved. Peace reigned in his family.

After the CCP started to persecute Falun Gong, Mr. Zhou told people the truth about Falun Gong. Arrested and detained several times, in 2002, he was sentenced to ten years in prison and incarcerated in Qinduankou Prison in Hubei Province.

On March 10, 2006, during a meeting in the prison in which Falun Gong was criticized, detained practitioners Mr. Feng Zhen and Mr. Zhou Jiangang shouted, "Falun Dafa is good!” As a result, they were locked in solitary confinement. Guard Qin incited prisoners to brutally torture and beat the two men. They put shackles weighing over 30 pounds on Mr. Zhou, and a prisoner slapped him in the face with a plastic shoe. His face was so swollen that no one could recognize him. He was forced to wear the shackles for two weeks and was forced to do slave labor making cigarette lighters. He was frequently not allowed to sleep because he had not finished his quota on time. The other prisoners went to sleep at 10 p.m. He was forced to work until past 11 p.m. before being allowed to go to bed. Later, he was locked in solitary confinement.

Torture re-enactment: Slapping someone's face with a shoe

On April 25, 2006, Mr. Zhou was put in handcuffs and shackles and forced to stand facing the wall. Prison official Xiao Weihua (86-13006377812[Cell]) from the Prison Politics Section and deputy instructor Qin Lin of the Strict Management Team told prisoners Li Min, Wang Zhouhua, and others who worked for the Strict Team to manage other prisoners. They said, “We want you to torture them (Mr. Zhou and Mr. Feng).” The prisoners from the 11th Team asked specifically, “Where should we hit them? What if something goes wrong?” Xiao Weihua said, “You can hit them anywhere except for the kidneys.” So the prisoners ganged up altogether and used heavy objects to hit Mr. Zhou hard on his back, fracturing his sixth and seventh cervical vertebrae. He fainted immediately. Prisoners Wang Zhonghua, Zhu Yong, and Li Min were the main perpetrators. According to a witness, Zhou Jiangang's head and face were swollen like a water bucket and he was in serious condition.

At 3 p.m., Mr. Zhou was taken to the Fourth Hospital in Wuhan City first. The hospital saw that he was in critical condition and would did not accept him. Later he was transferred to Tongji Hospital. He was diagnosed with two fractured vertebrae. Within just a few days, the cost for treating him ran over 300,000 yuan, which showed how severe the injury was. He was unconscious for a few days before he gradually came to and was able to talk about what had happened to him.

2. The Prison Fabricated Lies to Escape Punishment for Its Crimes

To cover up their crimes, the prison guards fabricated the following scenario: They put a bucket on the floor and said that Mr. Zhou had stood on the bucket to reach something on the upper level of a bunk bed and accidentally fell. The guards then discovered that the lie would not be credible, since falling accidentally could not cause compound fractures of the vertebrae. They then made up a new story, saying that because Mr. Zhou could not endure the strict monitoring team, he jumped from the top of bunk bed himself, causing the compound fractures.

After the beating on April 25, the prison officials took Mr. Zhou Jiangang to Tongji Hospital. To evade responsibility for a possible homicide, the officials concocted several schemes.

They assigned Team Leader Yan of the strict monitoring team and five guards to watch him around the clock, even though he had already lost consciousness, to prevent him from disclosing any of what had transpired. According to a witness, when Mr. Zhou was recovering in the hospital, he had dark bruises on his back and thighs from heavy blows.

When his condition had stabilized, but he was not yet mentally alert, the prison lost no time in sending one female and two male guards to interview and film him. They tricked him into answering questions to suit their needs. The guards told Mr. Zhou and his family that if they gave answers favorable to the prison that he would be released and receive treatment at home. If they resisted, the consequences would be severe. This is how they coerced Zhou Jiangang and his family members to sign and fingerprint a document headed, "Zhou Jiangang's Punishment for His Crime and Suicide Attempt." The guards did this to evade responsibility and to conceal the details of the assault.

Mr. Zhou and his family did not know that, according legal statutes, those who purposely injure themselves have no right to medical treatment outside prison or at home, so the guards planned to use this loophole to prevent him from receiving treatment outside the prison. They also wanted to keep him in prison to make sure he would die, ensuring that their crimes would be concealed.

When Mr. Zhou was being treated in Tongji Hospital, the prison ordered his wife not tell their child or his aged father about his becoming disabled from the brutal beating. One of them even pressured his wife to divorce him.

3. Mr. Zhou Still Imprisoned after Becoming a Paraplegic, Media Focused on the Persecution

After Zhou Jiangang and his relatives signed the document, the prison guards revealed their true intent. They reduced his food rations and transferred him to the Hongshan Prison Hospital on June 1, 2006, forbidding any visits from relatives.

In the prison hospital, they stopped treating him. At that time, he could only take a little liquid food, was barely conscious, and could only move his eyes and mouth. He could not relieve himself. It was summer and he developed bedsores all over his body since he was not cared for.

Later, when overseas media publicized what was happening to Mr. Zhou, the fearful prison officials sent him back to Qinduankou Prison to further isolate him. They put him in a ward for monitoring prisoners who had shown suicidal intent, where he was watched around the clock. They also made sure that no one could get close to him, except for the prison doctor and several prisoners who were assigned to monitor him. They had to sign written guarantees not to reveal anything about him.

On November 7, 2006, the Clearwisdom website reported, "Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Zhou Jiangang was illegally detained in Qinduankou Prison. He was severely beaten for protesting the persecution and was sent to Hongshan Hospital for treatment. He was disabled due to brutal persecution. He was sent back to the prison in a wheelchair on November 2, 2006." The officials feared that if Mr. Zhou's case received more publicity, it would attract public attention. They are strictly monitoring him and also do not allow visits from his family members.

On March 20, 2007, the prison secretly transferred all the practitioners imprisoned in Qinduankou Prison to Fanjiatai Prison in Shayang, Hubei Province, except Zhou Jiangang.

In order to conceal their crimes, the prison did not allow his wife to visit him on many occasions, although he was in critical condition. They also video-recorded her. Once when she went to the prison to visit her husband, they not only did not allow her to see him, but also detained her for a few hours and threatened her to try to force her to write a false statement that he was in good condition. When she refused to cooperate, they escorted her in a police vehicle to the street community office near where she lived and told them to watch her. They did not let her appeal legally or ask for any help.

In 2008, the Minghui website reported, “Mr. Zhou Jiangang has already been a paraplegic for two years as a result of being tortured in Qinduankou Prison in Hubei Province. His arms and legs have lost sensation. He can only move his eyes and mouth. It is like a living hell for him.” Although those in charge at the prison severely injured him, they still secretly detain him in solitary confinement and have tied his feet with rope.

B. Many Practitioners Persecuted to Disability or Death, But Brutal Torture Could Not Change Their Righteous Belief

Zhou Jiangang's case is not exceptional. Many practitioners were persecuted to death or became disabled in Qinduankou Prison.

The Minghui website reported on April 8, 2007, “According to an insider, the Tenth Prison District of Qinduankou Prison in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, beat a Falun Gong practitioner to death on March 10, 2007. This news had been covered up for a week before it finally got out. The details regarding the practitioners are still under investigation. There were three practitioners detained at the tenth prison district at that time: Xie Yonggnag, Wang Yuchao, and Hu Zhigang. According to the insider, Hu Zhigang was the most upright and outspoken. His situation was really serious.”

Below are some verified cases of practitioners who have been severely persecuted.

1. Many Practitioners Persecuted to Death after They Became Disabled from Torture

Mr. Wan Jixiang was an employee of the Yingcheng City Department of Industry and Commerce (Dongmafang Sub-Bureau) in Yingcheng City, Hubei Province. On June 28, 2003, he was sentenced and taken to Qinduankou Prison. The guards at the prison instructed prisoners to beat him. They forced him to squat down for a long time. They also threatened, "If he is not "transformed" within a week, torture him until he dies." Under unbearable pressure and excessive hard labor, Mr. Wan's hair turned gray. His left ear started to hurt. In addition, a tumor was found in his throat that caused severe pain. Later he was diagnosed with throat cancer. Prison authorities did not want to pay the medical costs and were afraid that Mr. Wan would die in prison. To evade responsibility, the prison told Mr. Wan's work unit, his family, and his local police station to apply for a medical parole for him. However, Nie Moshan from the State Security Unit of the Yingcheng Police Department postponed completing the required documentation over and over again. Finally, after continued urgent requests by Mr. Wan's family and numerous phone calls from practitioners worldwide, clarifying the truth and requesting Mr. Wan's release, Mr. Wan was released for medical treatment in 2004. After he was released, his did not have any financial resources since he had already been fired by his employer. His pain got worse, and he was extremely weak. He could not take care of himself. He died on May 24, 2005, a victim of the persecution.

Mr. Zhou Chengjian, approximately 46 years old, recovered from poor health shortly after beginning to cultivate Falun Gong. At the end of 2003, he was illegally sentenced to three years of imprisonment. He was brutally tortured in the Fifth Middle Team and suffered very intense illness karma. He could not eat and had constant headaches. Sources have revealed that he had brain cancer. Finally, a few months after he was bailed out for medical treatment in March 2004, he passed away as a result of the persecution.

Mr. Zhu Zhijun, 73, lived in the Hanyang District in Wuhan City. At the end of 1999, he was arrested and detained in Qinduankou Prison for four years. He was mentally and physically harmed while in prison. Even after he returned home, local agents kept monitoring and harassing him. He passed away on May 1, 2009.

2. A Young Police Officer Became Mentally Disordered Due to Persecution

Mr. Wang Yuchao, over 30 years old, was from Nanhuatang Town, Xun County, Shiyan City, Hubei Province. He was an outstanding armed police firefighter. He was sentenced to five years in prison and incarcerated in Qinduankou Prison beginning in August 2004. He was forced to put his head against the wall as soon as he was imprisoned. The CCP officials beat and kicked him to try to force him to write the so-called repentance statement to give up Falun Dafa and the letter to slander Dafa. At night, he was persecuted mentally. He was forced to recite the prison rules and regulations and write a report regarding “transformation” and giving up his belief in Falun Gong. He was forced to do slave labor in the daytime. Longtime brutal physical and mental torture ruined this strong young man. In March 2007, he was transferred to Fanjiatai Prison in Shayang and continued to be brutally persecuted. He became mentally disordered and could not take care of himself. He was detained at the hospital inside the prison. The prison police said they keep Mr. Wang inside an iron cage so that he will not hurt anyone else. They occasionally let him out for some fresh air. But they usually do not pay any attention to his condition or circumstances. His family members live in Shiyan City, Hubei Province, which is far away from the prison. His parents are both old, and it is hard for them to visit their son.

3. Many Practitioners Persecuted Until They Become Disabled

Mr. Hong Weisheng

Mr. Hong Weisheng was sent to Qinduankou Prison in April 2001. He used his own experiences in everyday life and in prison to refute the police's false claims. He exposed their crimes and validated the righteousness of Falun Dafa. Facing the facts, the prison police were left speechless and unable to respond. After the Chinese New Year in 2003, the prison police announced, "Hong is very stubborn. However, we are not worried that he is tough. We have plenty of ways to make him suffer." In order to “transform” Mr. Hong Weisheng, the prison transferred a counselor named Chen Chuanhong from another unit to persecute Mr. Hong.

At the same time, the prison transferred a cruel prisoner from the first team. This prisoner beat practitioners brutally in order to get his term reduced. He beat practitioner Mr. Cai Zidong so badly that he lost control of his bowels.

The prison came up with a specific proposal to persecute Mr. Hong. Money and materials sent by his relatives were taken away from him. He was not even allowed a piece of toilet paper! He was forced to do heavy labor all day long.

The prison did not allow him to clean himself, did not give him enough food to eat, and only allowed him to sleep for a very short amount of time each day. The prison did give him any food for three weeks. When other prisoners ate, he only had water. The prison also did not allow him to sleep for five days and nights. In the night, the police forced him to be “against the wall.” (In this torture, the practitioner's hands are tied behind his back and he has to stand one meter away from the concrete wall. Then a prisoner pushes his head toward the wall. The angle of his body has to be less than 90 degrees from the ground.) He was forced to look down at the ground and was beaten brutally if he just blinked his eyes once. A few prisoners were sent to watch him in turn. Because he was forced to be “against the wall,” the skin on his head was bruised and often oozed blood and pus. The hair on the top of his head also fell out. Before Mr. Hong was imprisoned, he had thick black hair. Now he became half bald due to the torture, and his hair turned white. He was so thin that he looked like a skeleton wrapped up in dark, injured skin. Sweat and dirt covered his skin along with scars and cuts. One kindhearted person said, "Let's not talk about this. It is hard to mention the inhuman treatment. It's difficult to believe a government official could do things like this to another person."

The prison forced Hong Weisheng to do the dirty and heavy work that the other prisoners did not want to do. In March 2003, it was extremely cold and rained all the time. One day the prisoners were sent to salvage dead pigs from a smelly ditch. Usually when the pigs fed in the prison died, the prisoners were so lazy that they just threw the pigs into the ditch. The dead pigs decayed and the smell was horrible. The prisoners all covered their noses and stood far away. But they forced Mr. Hong to go down into the ditch and salvage the pigs alone. He endured the stench and salvaged all the dead pigs. The sweat and rain wet his sweater and jacket. At night, when he went back to the prison room and was about to take off his completely wet sweater and jacket, the prisoners who were sent to watch him immediately ordered him to put his wet clothes back on and stand on the freezing concrete floor in his bare feet. They forced him to face the north and opened the window to let him face the cold north wind. It kept raining outside. He had been able to endure all the pain up until then, but this time he wanted to cry. The prisoners said, “So what? If you cannot endure it, then you can give up Falun Gong.” But with firm belief in Falun Dafa, Hong Weisheng broke through the tribulations again and again.

The prisoners also used bamboo sticks to hit Mr. Hong's ankles and the backs of his hands, hung a water barrel around his neck, slapped his face, put an iron barrel on his head and hit it hard, exposed him to the brutal sun, forced him to stand at attention, and tortured him brutally in other ways.

Due to the endless mental and physical torture, Mr. Hong Weisheng's health got progressively worse. One day, his abdomen hurt so much that he rolled around on the ground. The prisoners nearby were indifferent. They even said he was pretending. He rolled around for a very long time. The prisoners saw his face was red and he was really sweating. They finally called the prison doctor. The doctor checked his temperature, which was 40 degrees Celsius. The doctor chided the prisoners, “Why didn't you call me earlier? It is acute appendicitis. If it has burst, he will be dead for sure.” They took Mr. Hong to Pu'ai Hospital in Wuhan City (the former Wuhan Fourth Hospital). The doctor saw that it was acute appendicitis and that it had already burst. His abdomen was full of pus. The doctor immediately operated. The doctor said if it had been a few minutes later, he probably could not have been saved.

Soon after the doctor removed Mr. Hong's stitches, Chen Chuanhong planned a new round of persecution. Every day they used many dirty ways to torture Mr. Hong to try to force him to give up Falun Dafa. After over four months' continuous persecution day and night, he was at the breaking point. But when he thought of Dafa and how he had regained his life through practicing, he wrote down three lines: “My belief in Falun Dafa is as firm as rock. Nothing can change my firm belief in Master Li Hongzhi and Falun Dafa. I want to closely follow Master Li and use my life and blood to safeguard the Fa of the cosmos.”

Mr. Hong Weisheng finished writing the sentences and handed them in. Stunned, Chen Chuanghong said, “You are so brave. Your sentence is almost over. How dare you write something like this? Take it back now. I will not take it into consideration at all. Otherwise, if I turn it in, your term will be immediately extended.” Mr. Hong said calmly, “I will not take it back. I am determined. That is my attitude.” The prison police did not know what to do., but they secretly told the prisoners to treat him more brutally. In order to receive credit and rewards, the prisoners used all the ways they could to torture Mr. Hong, such as using a cigarette lighter to burn his fingers one by one to force him to be “transformed.”

Mr. Hong Weisheng would rather have died than be “transformed.” The prisoners all admired him very much.

When he finished his four years in the prison, the police tried to send him to a brainwashing center, although he had already been severely injured. Due to his family's strong protest, they had to release him. When Mr. Hong was released in 2004, he had already become very weak. His left hand was disabled and three ribs were broken. There are still three steel plates in his left arm. Even so, the CCP personnel in Wuhan City still did not let him go easily. On September 11, 2009, at night, Mr. Hong was arrested near the First Village in Huaqiao by the First Section of the Wuhan City Police Department and Huaqiao Police Station. Later he was detained at the brainwashing center at Erdaopeng in the Jianghan District.

Mr. Jiang Qixiang

Dr. Jiang Qixiang is a physician at the Dongfeng Auto Company employee's hospital in Shiyan City. During April and May of 2002, when Dr. Jiang was detained in Qinduankou Prison, No. 2 Ward, policeman (instructor) Qi Jianxiong ordered prisoner Hu Tao of the 12th Prison District to beat Dr. Jiang with wooden stick, breaking the lower part of both his legs. When Dr. Jiang was released from prison in November 2003, both of his legs were disabled.

Mr. Li Min

Mr. Li Min is from Wuhan City. Mr. Li was brutally tortured in the 13th Prison District, Qinduankou Prison and became disabled. He was also detained at the Strict Team many times.

4. Typical Cases of Practitioners Being Tortured

Mr. Xu Xudong

Mr. Xu was tortured in the 11th District of Qinduankou Prison from 2005 to 2010. He was forced to stand for long periods of time, mercilessly beaten, deprived of sleep, forced him to "dig" his head into the corner of a room, locked in a solitary cell, made to do hard labor labor, exposed to the baking sun, pressured to write a "thought report," etc. Fang Jianxin, Wang Zhonghua, Xiong Hui, Li Ziyong, Chang Zhiwen, Liu Qiang, Cao Zhijian, Huanhuan, Wu Sheng, and Wang Zhouguo all participated. Police officers Qi Jianxong, Kuang Min, Qiu Fan, and Fang Tianzhi instigated the above inmates to carry out the torture.

Mr. Jiang Guangyang

Mr. Jiang is from Ezhou City. He was brutally tortured. He was forced to squat for long periods of time, made to "Carry a Sword on the Back," deprived of sleep, and forced multiple times to stand for several hours with a 50-Jin barrel hanging around his neck. Even today he still has a deep mark on his neck.

Mr. Wei Chunping

Mr. Wei Chunping is from Wuhan City. He was sentenced to five years incrceration by Jianghan District Court and Wuhan City Middle Court in December 2001and detained in Qinduankou Prison. In late December of 2002, guard Liu Wensheng ordered criminal inmates Wang Wei, Huang Qishun, and Fang Wei to hang a bucket full of water weighing over 80 pounds by a thin plastic cord around Mr. Wei's neck. They told him not to spill any! As soon as Mr. Wei could no longer hold still and water spilled out, the evildoers beat and kicked him fiercely. They battered his chest with their elbows and kicked him with the steel ends of their boots. The beatings sometimes lasted four hours, sometimes 17 hours without a break. The guards forced Mr. Wei to do heavy labor on a regular basis and also subjected him to brainwashing. In addition they often forced him to stand a foot and a half away from a wall and pushed his head against the wall, which they referred to as "digging retrospectively into the roots." Between April and July 2003, Mr. Wei was sent to the prison hospital for treatment of fluid accumulation in his chest. More than 800 milliliters of fluid was extracted during treatment. Between August 3 and 27, 2004, Mr. Wei was forced to finish work tasks and "reform" tasks in an attempt to coerce him to admit he was wrong because he had refused to attend a brainwashing session. On September 6, 2004, criminal inmate Gao Xiang took Mr. Wei to the field where no one was around and beat him brutally. Mr. Wei filed a complaint with cadres Cai Hong and Zhang Qinhua and asked to be examined in a hospital. Police officer Kuang Min made up a report, saying, "Wei hurt himself," totally ignoring that he had obviously been beaten: Mr. Wei's clothing was torn, his nose was bleeding, and his face was swollen. Due to the prolonged torture, Wei Chunping often suffered unbearable pain. He walked slowly. On June 28, 2005, criminal inmate Ma Zhiqiang beat and kicked Mr. Wei, saying he was moving too slowly. Ma punched his back, abdomen, and chest. Mr Wei was beaten so severely that he lay on the floor, unable to move. He later reported the beating to guards Cai Hong and Zhang Qinhua and asked to be sent to a hospital for treatment. They immediately agreed but tried their best to delay his treatment.

Mr. Li Ming

Mr. Li Ming is from Gucheng County, Xiangfang City. He is detained in the 4th District in Qinduankou Prison. In the 12th District, because he wrote "Falun Dafa is good" on the back of his coat, he was locked in a solitary cell in January 2004 for over a month and again in June 2004 for another 40 days. Police officers Kuang Min and Yu falsely accused him of hitting a police officer. The special police carried him to a solitary cell. They restrained him up on a wooden board with handcuffs and shackles. In June 2005 they put him in a solitary cell again for hiding Master's articles, this time for a month. After the confinement, Policeman Zhang Qinhua transferred him from the 12th to the 13th District. On June 7, 2006 he was transferred to the 4th District.

Mr. Huang Fangbiao

Mr. Huang Fangbiao is from Echeng County. He was brutally beaten by inmates after he was sent to the “strictly-guarded” section. In June 2005 police officer Zhang Qinhua from the 12th District made Mr. Huang the target of special monitoring. He was tortured for three months.

Mr. Zhou Rao

In July 2007 Mr. Zhou Rao sat up in bed because of the hot weather. He was sent to a solitary cell on the charge he was doing the Falun Gong exercises.

Mr. Li Zheng

Mr. Li Zheng is from Huang Shi. At the end of 2002 he could not eat, and threw up whatever he ate as a result of torture. He was weak. On January 23, 2004, he coughed up a lot of blood and could not breathe. He was sent to Hubei Hongshan Prison Hospital and diagnosed with acute tuberculosis.

Mr. Yang Chengsong

According to a Minghui report on August 24, 2007, Mr. Yang Chengsong was sentenced to four years of incarceration after eight months of torture in a detention center. He was sent to Qinduankou Prison. Guards pressured him to write a repentance statement and assigned several inmates to beat him day and night. They beat him with metal rulers and bamboo sticks. They hit him on the head. They injured his sternum. He was forced to attend military training, standing for long periods of time exposed to the baking sun and leaning at a 45-degree angle with his head against the wall. He was also forced to watch videos that slandered Falun Gong and recite the prison rules day and night. He was forced to work 18 hours without a break except three-minute meal breaks. He was not allowed to wash his face or have a bath during the hot summer. He was also forced to take unknown drugs and given injections of unknown drugs.

5. Elderly Falun Gong Practitioners Were Persecuted

Mr. Xia Shilong is close to 60 years old. He was often beaten for a long time. One time he was knocked down on the floor by two inmates.

Mr. Peng Chuang, over 60 years old, is from the Caidian District, Wuhan City. He often protests that it is unfair when practitioners are humiliated. He was attacked by inmates for this reason. They deliberately came up with excuses to beat him. One time several inmates intentionally destroyed an inmate's stove, but they said Mr. Peng did it. They then beat him badly. Guards intentionally came late and accused him of ignoring the prison rules. One time the guards asked him out and said a prison officer wanted to talk to him. When he came back, the guard beat and cursed him, but the officer on the another side of the wall pretended he did not hear anything.

Mr. Wu Anming, over 70 years old, is from Macheng, Hubei Province. He can only walk with others' help. He suffers from many illnesses. He can not hear or see very well. He has problems with his teeth, too. But he is forced to do slave labor everyday and is often cursed at.

There are many more cases like the above.