Name: Cai Fuchen (蔡福臣)
Gender: Male
Age: in his 40s
Address: Unknown
Occupation: Government employee of the Longjing Tax Bureau
Date of Death: September 15, 2010
Date of Most Recent Arrest: May 24, 2004
Most Recent Place of Detention: Jilin Province Prison in Gongzhuling (吉林省公主岭监狱)
City: Gongzhuling
Province: Jilin
Persecution Suffered: Electric shock, sleep deprivation, forced labor, brainwashing, illegal sentencing, beatings, hung up, imprisonment, solitary confinement, torture, extortion, fired from workplace, physical restraint, home ransacked, interrogation, detention


Mr. Cai Fuchen was sentenced to ten years in prison in 2004 and was held in Gongzhuling Prison until his untimely death there on or about September 16, 2010.

Prison authorities admit that he was under forced "transformation" for a long time, but he refused to accept the brainwashing. He was locked in a small cell (1) repeatedly, closely watched by several prisoners 24 hours per day, and not allowed to contact other people. He was tortured until emaciated, and very weak.

On May 5, 2008, guards locked him in solitary confinement after he wrote an appeal letter to protest his being persecuted. Guards hung him up on his bunk bed. They did not allow him to sleep, and shocked his neck and legs with an electric baton. He was released from solitary confinement after one month on June 5, and still refused to accept the brainwashing.

The last time Mr. Cai talked to his family on the phone was on September 5, 2010. His family asked him how was he doing, he answered, "Not well". He died in custody ten days later. The guards notified his family, saying he was being treated after "jumping out of the building." His family rushed to the prison on September 16, 2010. The prison said Mr. Cai refused to be "transformed" and then "jumped to his death from the third floor."

His family questioned the prison authorities: Why they did not tell them on the phone he had already died? How did it happen? He entered the prison in good health and now had died in such a tragic and mysterious way. The prison authorities demanded the family sign a release to allow an autopsy, but his family refused. The prison authorities said they could force the autopsy without the family present or their signature. His family totally negated them and said they would hire a lawyer, contact the media, and seek justice.

Brutal Mistreatment

In November 1999, Mr. Cai went to Beijing to tell the authorities that Falun Gong should not be persecuted, but was arrested. He was detained at Longjin Detention Center for a month. His work unit, the Longjing Taxation Office, continued to employ him, but suspended his salary.

In March 2000, Mr. Cai was doing the exercises when he was arrested by policemen from the Longjing Longmen Police Station. He was sentenced to two years of forced labor and detained at the Yanbian Forced Labor Camp. At the same time, he was fired from his job.

In February 2001, during the period of Mr. Cai's forced labor, the CCP Vice Secretary of the Jilin Province Political and Legal Committee, and the deputy director of the 610 Office, Hu Xiaoyan, visited the Yanbian Forced Labor Camp. Mr. Cai and several other Falun Dafa practitioners stepped forward and yelled "Falun Dafa is good."

For this, Mr. Cai was locked in a small cell for one month. He was later transferred to the First Ward of the Yinmahe Forced Labor Camp in Jiutai, where he was forced to work outside in the freezing cold winter.

After more than two years of brutal mistreatment, in March 2002, Mr. Cai was released. After he returned home, the government officials still would not stop persecuting him. They tried various methods to persecute his family. Personnel from the Longjing Political and Legal Committee, Longjing Political and Legal Office, Longmen Police Station, and the community affairs office constantly harassed his family. They raided his home and created trouble without restraint.

One night, a group of officers punched Mr. Cai's door and woke up his neighbors. His 10 year old son was scared out of a deep sleep and shivered with fear. He dared not stay home alone ever since.

In October 2002, the Longjing Political and Legal Committee ordered the Longmen Police Station to send Geng Liquan and several policemen to arrest Mr. Cai and send him to the brainwashing facility at the Longjing Police Station. Mr. Cai and several other practitioners went on a hunger strike to appeal against this persecution. After seven days of the hunger strike, the police from the Longjing Political and Legal Office transferred Mr. Cai and the other practitioners to the Longjing Detention Center. He was released one month later.

On May 26, 2004, Mr. Cai and several other Falun Dafa practitioners were arrested at a truth clarification materials site by the Yanji Yilan Police Station. On the night of his arrest, Mr. Cai's legs were beaten, resulting in a severe injury that left him unable to walk.

In October 2004, Mr. Cai's paralyzed father was informed that his son had been tortured to the verge of death by the Yanji Detention Center. The father managed to make his way to the Yanbian Appeals Office and requested the release of his son, and his request was unreasonably rejected. Not only was the old man not able to see his son, he was sent to the Longjing Police Station by local evildoers. In 2005, his father could not handle such trauma any longer and passed away. Even during the last moments of his life he was not able to see his son again.

In August 2005, Mr. Cai was illegally sentenced to ten years in prison by the Jilin Province Yanji Court after one year and three months of illegal detention. He was then immediately transferred to the Gongzhuling Prison.

It was reported that several inmates in the Gongzhuling Prison monitored Cai Fuchen every day. Mr. Cai was even monitored when he used the toilet. The inmates also forbade him from contacting other people. They forced him to work in the day, but he refused to cooperate and did not participate in any forced labor. The inmates then picked him up and carried him to the work field.

In late 2005, Mr. Cai's wife, Zhang Yanhong, was forced to become homeless, and Mr. Cai's young son had to be taken care of by relatives. In order to capture Zhang Yanhong, the Longjing police did not even spare the child from persecution. They followed him to and from school every day. The child could not cope with such monitoring and the psychological shock and he stopped going to school. Mr. Cai's son was deprived of his education and was no longer able to be cared for by his parents.

Organizations that were involved in persecuting Cai Fuchen:
Yanji 610 Office,
Yanji Police Station National Security Division,
Yanji Yilan Police Station,
Yanji Procuratorate,
Yanji Court,
Yanji Detention Center,
Longjing Police Station National Security Division,
Longjing Longmen Police Station,
Longjing Police Station,
Jilin Province Yanbian Forced Labor Camp,
Jilin Province Jiutaiyinmahe Forced Labor Camp
Jilin Province Gongzhuling Prison

(1) The detainee is locked up in a very small cell individually.