Name: Xu Shufeng
Gender: Female
Age: 50
Address: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: August 2004
Most Recent Place of Detention: Qianjin Forced Labor Camp
City: Harbin
Province: Heilongjiang
Persecution Suffered: Forced labor, brainwashing, beatings, hung up, torture, extortion, physical restraint, home ransacked, interrogation, detention

( Ms. Xu Shufen is a 50-year-old Falun Gong practitioner in Echeng District of Harbin City. She was arrested by the police in August of 2004 and was later sent to a forced labor camp. She was persecuted in Wanjia Forced Labor Camp and Qianjin Forced Labor Camp successively for three years.

Here are some more specific details of that persecution. One day in August, 2004 Ms. Xu was seized and taken to the Echeng 610 Office while she was distributing truth clarifying materials with fellow practitioners. A police officer slapped her face many times. Later, she was taken to the Echeng No. 1 Detention Center. During that period of time, the police ransacked her home.

After over one month of persecution in the No. 1 Detention Center, Ms. Xu was transferred to the No. 2 Detention Center and was detained there for over three months. Her body was very weak due to the persecution. Moreover, she had severe heart disease and other illnesses. It was difficult for her to walk. Even in that situation, the guards at the detention center still wanted to send her to Wanjia Forced Labor Camp. Her family went to request that she be released. The officers lied to her family, saying, "Let's go have a physical examination at the hospital. If she really has a disease, we will send her home." Her husband believed them and carried her into the car. In the end, however, the police took her directly to Wanjia Forced Labor Camp. Because her physical condition was poor, Wanjia Forced Labor Camp dared not accept her, that is until the guards at the detention center bribed them with some gifts.

Ms. Xu wasn't able to walk when she was taken to Wanjia Forced Labor Camp. Dragging her upstairs to the third floor, a female guard grabbed her hair and officer Yao kicked her. They forced her to write the three statements and to give up her practice of Falun Gong. When she refused, they used the big hang up torture. She couldn't bear the torture and signed the three statements against her will. The guards put her back down on the ground. Later, she was persecuted at the disciplinary unit for two months, where she was forced to work with toxic and physically harmful materials. The guards never gave her enough food. After two years of persecution there, she was transferred to Qianjin Forced Labor Camp.

Ms. Xu was release after being persecuted for three years. Officer Dong from Xicheng Police Station Echeng District took her to the 610 Office, and forced her to sign a guarantee statement.

After she was released, she was still followed. The police kept her under surveillance and hired people to watch her. Li Xiaotang from Xicheng Police Station followed her, staked out, and harassed her. Her family eventually gave him one thousand yuan to make him stop following her.

During the period of the persecution of Ms. Xu, her husband spent over 30,000 yuan asking people to help her, and he went into debt. Because her husband was frightened and scared everyday by the constant harassment, he sold the house and divorced Ms. Xu.

Ms. Xu has become homeless to avoid further persecution and has no place to stay.