1. Mr. Pan Yushun Dies While Trying to Escape from Police

Mr. Pan Yushun, 45, was a resident of Changchun, Jilin Province. In November 2004, he was reported to the police and arrested by officers from the Heshun Police Station of the Erdao Police Bureau when he was making copies of materials about Falun Gong. He was sentenced to one year of forced labor in the No. 5 Team of Chaoyanggou Detention Center, Changchun City. He was tortured through sleep deprivation, shocks from electric batons, and having his hands and feet shackled. He also endured rubber clubbing, the death bed, being tied up with ropes, having his muscles twisted with pliers, wood chips under his nails, and confinement in a small cell. The guards also placed his fingerprint on a prepared statement when he was unconscious.

At approximately 9:00 p.m. one day in April 2010, Mr. Pan heard a knock on the door of his home. He suspected it was the police and so out of fear, he affixed a rope and left through the window using the rope in an attempt to escape. Unfortunately, he fell and died.

2. Ms. Xue Qiaolan Passes Away

Ms. Xue Qiaolan, 69, from Lanzhou, Gansu Province, was a retiree from the Lanzhou Tongyong Mechanical Factory Services Company.

In December 2000, she and her sister were on their way to Beijing to work in a restaurant. They were arrested on the train by police officers from Lanzhou, and were taken to the Taoshuping Detention Center. They went on a hunger strike until they were released six days later.

On January 19, 2001, police officers from the Qilihe Police Bureau took the two women to the Lanzhou No. 1 Detention Center (formerly in Xiguoyuan, now in Jiuzhou). Ms. Xue Qiaolan experienced symptoms of a stroke but was ignored by the guards. Officers from the Qilihe Police Bureau attempted to extort 5,000 yuan from her family, but failed. On May 5, 2001, they took Ms. Xue home. She was partially paralyzed, suffered from incontinence, had no control over bowel movements and could not speak.

Officers from the Lanzhou Public Security Bureau, Qilihe Public Security Bureau, Tumendun Police Station, and Lantongzhang Security Department continued to harass Ms. Xue Qiaolan. On May 20, 2010, about two weeks after being harassed again, she died.

June 13, 2010