Name: Wu Yanna (吴燕娜)
Gender: Female
Age: Unknown
Address: Unknown
Occupation: Teacher
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
April 18, 2004
Most recent place of detention:
Guangdong Women's Prison (广东省女子监狱)
City: Guangzhou
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, interrogation, force-feedings, beatings, brainwashing, sleep deprivation, torture

Ms. Wu Yanna, an English teacher at Meigang Middle School, Jiedong County, Guangdong Province, was arrested and detained in a brainwashing center at the end of 2001. After she escaped, she lived away from home to avoid further persecution. On April 18, 2004, she was arrested by officers from the Tianhe 610 Office in Guangzhou. In December 2004, she was illegally sentenced to prison for eight years and was transferred to Guangdong Women's Prison, where she is currently being detained and persecuted. The following details describe Ms. Wu's persecution.

After July 20, 1999, when the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) started the full-scale persecution of Falun Dafa, Ms. Wu Yanna went to the local government to clarify the facts about Falun Dafa with other local practitioners. They were recorded on video by officials.

At the end of June 2000, Ms. Wu went to Tiananmen Square, but was arrested by officers from the Tiananmen Ximen Police Station and transferred to the Dongzhimen Detention Center the same day. During the ten days she spent in the detention center, the officers didn't allow her to take a shower, and they interrogated and threatened her several times. She was often abused by the officers and subjected to force-feeding. After she was transferred back to Guangdong Province, she was detained at the local police department for two weeks.

On January 24, 2001, Ms. Wu received a call telling her to report to work and go to her supervisor's office. As soon as she stepped in, she was arrested and taken to the police department by officer Yang. Without any evidence of wrongdoing, they detained her at the local detention center. She was among many Falun Gong practitioners arrested at that time.

The local 610 Office sent people to the detention center many times in an attempt to "transform" Ms. Wu, but she refused to cooperate. CCP officers directed guard Xie to savagely beat practitioners, including Ms. Wu, with a club. In September of 2001, they transferred all the practitioners to the local brainwashing center.

Two months after they were released from the brainwashing center, eight practitioners, including Ms. Wu, were arrested again and detained at the brainwashing center. One night, she and six other practitioners escaped from the center and began living away from their homes to avoid further persecution.

On April 18, 2004, Ms. Wu was arrested at a practitioner's house and detained once again at the local brainwashing center. In the center, she was repeatedly taken to the interrogation room and exposed to brainwashing tactics by five collaborators from Beijing. The collaborators would not allow her to sleep at night. They forced her to stand in the same position during the daytime and forced her to put her legs in the double-legged crossing position all night. They also tied up her legs up with a very thick cloth so that she could not uncross them and hit her ankles.

Later, she was transferred to the detention center and sentenced to eight years in prison. After she arrived at Guangdong Women's Prison, she was forced to stand for a long period of time for several days. Guards Mo and Wang began to abuse her daily.

During the past five years in prison, Ms. Wu has been watched by guard Wang constantly, even when she goes to use the restroom. Officials have exerted pressure on Wang to monitor Ms. Wu and look for any opportunities to persecute her.