Name: Yu Shaoqi(余绍奇)
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Address: Chenxi County, Hunan Province
Occupation: Deputy director in a government office

Date of Most Recent Arrest: May 4, 2010
Most recent place of detention:
City: Chenxi
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, beatings, extortion, enforced stay in a mental hospital, brainwashing, hung up, force-feedings, torture, forced injections, sexual assault, home ransacked

( On May 4, 2010, Mr. Yu Shaoqi from Chenxi County, Hunan Province, changed trains in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province. In the waiting room of the railway station, he was searched by the station crew, and they found several Falun Gong brochures on him. He was then arrested by agents of the CCP. People from the 610 Office in Hangzhou City notified the 610 Office in Chenxi County, the National Security Team of the 610 Office in Chenxi County, and the Chenxi County Weather Bureau where Mr. Yu works so they could send someone to Hangzhou to pick him up.

Mr. Yu is a former deputy director of an office in the Weather Bureau in Chenxi County. After cultivating Falun Gong since 1994, he became healthy, and his diseases, including angina, all disappeared.

Since the persecution of Falun Gong began, he has been persecuted many times by the local CCP. In 1999, went to appeal on behalf of Falun Gong and was fired from his job. Yu Shaoqi's father was the former deputy director in the Bureau of Civil Affairs. Because his son practiced Falun Gong and went to Beijing to appeal, the father was also dismissed. The director and the discipline inspection secretary of the Weather Bureau were also punished. In January 2000, a cold winter, Mr. Yu prepared to go and appeal again. When his family members tried to prevent him from going, he unfortunately fell from the fourth floor and became disabled.

In June 2000, Mr. Yu went on crutches to Tiananmen Square to do the Falun Gong exercises. He was arrested and detained along with three other practitioners from Liaoning Province. Later on he escaped from the Beijing Office and went to Zhongnanhai to appeal for an end to the persecution of Falun Gong. He was arrested and detained in a police station, where he was beaten, burned with lit cigarettes, and humiliated. After being picked up by local police from the National Security Team and the Working Union, he was detained and had 5,000 yuan extorted from him.

After that, he was detained at least seven times. In November 2005, he was sentenced to a forced labor camp. He was once confined in a mental hospital for about three months and in a brainwashing center for about two months. He was hung up, beaten, smothered, force fed, injected with poisons, and humiliated sexually. His ears were beaten until broken, his nose and mouth bled, and his internal organs were injured.

On the morning of September 20, 2007, in his office in the Weather Bureau, over a dozen people appeared and took him away. Later on, it was learned that the city and county 610 Offices had initiated the arrest. They took him to a brainwashing center in Huaihua and made another person in his department accompany him.

In late September 2009, six or seven people from the Chenxi County National Security Team, including Xie Kaiji and Gong Zhiren, broke into Mr. Yu Shaoqi's home to harass him because they blamed him for articles published on-line that exposed them. They wanted to take away his computer. They did not find the things they wanted on the computer and, meeting with resistance from Yu's parents, they could not take the computer or steal the things on it, so they left.

Because of the ransacking, threatens, extortion, and many arrests, Mr. Yu's wife divorced him.