Name: Sun Yuxiang 孙玉香 and her husband Qu Changxing 曲长兴
Gender: Female, male
Age: Both born in 1941
Address: Jiancheng Paper Factory Family Housing Building 31, 3rd Door-5th Floor, Right apartment, Jilin City, Jilin Province
Occupation: Mr. Qu was a crane driver in Jiangcheng Paper Factory
Date of Death: February 19, 2006 (Ms. Sun), late December 2005 (Mr. Qu)
Date of Most Recent Arrest: Fall 2000
Most recent place of detention: Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp in Changchun City (长春黑嘴子劳教所)
City: Jilin
Province: Jilin
Persecution Suffered: Sleep deprivation, forced labor, brainwashing, torture, home ransacked, interrogation, detention

( (By a correspondent from Jilin Province) An older couple in Jilin Province, Ms. Sun Yuxiang and her husband Mr. Qu Changxing, were persecuted by the Chinese Communist Party because they practiced Falun Gong. They each passed away under difficult circumstances brought about by the persecution. Mr. Qu previously had a bad temper, and even abused his wife. However, after he started practicing Falun Dafa in 1995, he disciplined himself according to Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. He constantly upgraded his heart and mind nature, thought of others first, and treated his wife with kindness. Soon, his wife, Sun Yuxiang, also began practicing Falun Gong. The couple lived together in happiness.

After the persecution began on July 20, 1999, the couple continued cultivating firmly. In the Fall of 2000, Ms. Sun Yuxiang went to Beijing to appeal on behalf of Falun Gong. She was arrested on Tiananmen Square and taken to the Jilin City Detention Center. Officers from the Xinghua Street Police Station extorted 1,000 yuan from her and sent her to Heizuizi Women's Forced Labor Camp to serve a two-year term. They tortured her with sleep deprivation for 72 hours. Under this torture, they forced Ms. Sun to write a guarantee statement promising to give up cultivation. She was released on parole in November 2000.

Ms. Sun felt deep regret from writing the guarantee statement, and wrote a solemn declaration, announcing that the statement was null and void. Soon after, officers from the Xinghua Police Station and community administrators took turns monitoring her while she was at home. They even ordered her neighbors across the hall to closely monitor the couple. In the winter of 2002, the couple moved to a low-income residential area in Longtan District, to avoid the constant harassment.

The house was in terrible condition, hot in the summer, cold in the winter. The elderly couple had to live under such hardship, and at the same time trying to avoid the local neighborhood administration's investigation. While living in the substandard housing, Mr. Qu Changxing had a heart attack and died in late December 2005. Ms. Sun didn't know what to do. Her neighbor called 110 [an emergency dispatch number, similar to 911 in the U.S.]. The autopsy showed that Mr. Qu's death was caused by disease. The police took his body directly to the crematory. When they asked Ms. Sun how to process the ashes, she requested one more day to get the necessary money from her bank. The police didn't wait and tossed his ashes, and the family could not find his ashes later.

The police took Ms. Sun back to her old house in the Paper Factory residential area. Ms. Sun could not bear the sudden death of her husband and the incident of losing her husband's ashes. Around January 19, 2006, she suddenly became very sick, and was her neighbors rushed her to the Paper Factory hospital. She died on February 19, 2006, without any family around her.

Related report:

September 21, 2009