Name: Sun Xi (孙希)
Gender: Male
Age: Unknown
Address: Yanji City, Jilin Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Death: August 5, 2009
Date of Most Recent Arrest: October 2000
Most Recent Place of Detention: Tiebei Prison in Changchun City (长春铁北监狱)
Province: Jilin
Persecution suffered: Imprisonment, Beating, Sleep Deprivation, Torture
Key Persecutors: Liu Zhanzhong, Han Kewei (刘占忠, 韩可为)

( (Correspondent from Jilin Province) Mr. Sun Xi, a resident of Yanji City, Jilin Province, was arrested in October 2000. He received a heavy sentence and was sent to the Tiebei Prison in Changchun City in the spring of 2002. Mr. Sun endured brutal beatings and other forms of torture while he was imprisoned and suffered muscle atrophy as a result, which caused him great difficulties in walking. After he was released, Mr. Sun was bedridden, coughed up blood and was incontinent. He died on August 5, 2009.

In May 2002, the Teibei Prison launched a series of persecution tactics against the dozens of detained Falun Gong practitioners. First they set up an "Office for Tackling Key Issues." Then the chief of the office went to Shenyang City, Liaoning Province and Shandong Province to learn how to "transform," or persecute, practitioners. Upon his return, the prison held a "transformation" mobilization meeting during which each division was pressed and given non-negotiable orders to "transform practitioners within a given time frame, regardless of means or methods, to reach a 100 percent transformation rate."

Mr. Sun was detained in the Third Group of the Third Division at that time. On the evening of September 24, 2002, the prison guard kept Mr. Sun from going to bed and forcibly dragged him to the Division office. The heads of the Division were still there. They were warden Liu Zhanzhong, who was behind all the details of the persecution, deputy warden Han Kewei, and prison guards Zhong and Gao Hong.

As they began to verbally insult Falun Dafa, guard Zhong ordered Mr. Sun to stand still. Mr. Sun refused to do so and was brutally beaten by both guards. They kicked and slapped him for more than half an hour, then pushed him into an iron barrel. They placed the iron barrel in the office and did not let Mr. Sun out unless it was meal time. When Han Kewei was on day shift, he played videos that slandered Falun Gong and forbade Mr. Sun to sleep or drink water. When he found Mr. Sun falling asleep, he repeatedly hit the iron barrel with an iron baton. Mr. Sun nearly fainted because of the loud noise and strong vibration. They tortured Mr. Sun for more than 100 hours and did not stop until he was unconscious.

On January 10, 2003, when the prison learned that the Bureau of Reform-through-labor in Jilin Province was to come to inspect the "transformation" status, they launched another wave of persecution of Falun Gong practitioners. On the evening of January 10, 2009, Mr. Sun was once again deprived of sleep. This time the prison guard instigated six inmates, led by Wang Xiwu, to torture Mr. Sun. They drew a small circle on the ground, ordered Mr. Sun to step in it, and forbade him from moving. Otherwise they would beat him.

It was a very cold day, but the prison guard left Mr. Sun in the cold for one day and one night. On the next day in the evening they beat him again. Inmates Yu Jingyu, Sun Yong, and Wang Yang beat Mr. Sun first for an hour and a half and broke his ribs. Inmates Wang Xiwu, Li Zhijun and Wang Dexin took over after midnight.

Wang Xiwu and Wand Dexin held Mr. Sun on a table while Li Zhijun used a rubber mallet to hit Mr. Sun all over his body, especially on his waist and legs, until he almost fainted. After hitting him for more than two hours, they dragged Mr. Sun on the ground, striking and kicking him. Mr. Sun's internal organs were so badly injured that he could not relieve himself for eight days. He almost died of intestinal adhesion.

The torture Mr. Sun had suffered caused him muscle atrophy and difficulties in walking. After he was released, his health continued to deteriorate, and he was not able to walk at all. He died on August 5, 2009.