(Clearwisdom.net) At around 11:00 a.m. on May 23, 2008, Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Zhang Zhouyu was arrested at the hotel where he was temporarily residing and taken to the local police station in Shouguang Town by approximately 20 police officers. At around 8:30 p.m. that evening, Mr. Zhang was taken back to the local police station again and detained for a week. During this time, he was handcuffed, deprived of sleep and beaten to try to force a "confession" from him.

On May 23, 2008, the police detained Mr. Zhang Zhaoyu in a small hut at the Taitou Police Station in Shouguang. The hut had walls covered with metal wires. Both of his hands were cuffed behind his back. Regardless of the torture, he did not give in to the persecution.

On the evening of May 25, the police began to beat Mr. Zhang. They forced him to sit on the ground with his legs and arms held out straight in front of him. If he could not hold his arms up at an even level, the officers would beat his arms, hands and feet with a rubber stick. After two hours of constant beatings, Mr. Zhang could not sit still. So the police officers forced him to sit on a steel chair with his arms extended out. When he could not keep his arms up, he was mercilessly beaten. This continued until 2:00 a.m. the next morning.

Afterwards, several police officers took turns monitoring Mr. Zhang and prohibited him from sleeping. At around 5:00 a.m., they began to beat him again. A policeman by the surname of Zhang was the most ruthless. Then they handcuffed Mr. Zhang's wrists and forced him to hold out his arms straight in front of him with a rubber stick in his hand. If his arms lowered a bit, he was beaten.

The new round of beatings were more painful than the earlier ones. In desperation, Mr. Zhang hit his head on the steel chair to try to resist further tortures. As a result, his forehead bled massively. Still, the police did not stop their torture.

Because of the brutal beatings, Mr Zhang could not walk for almost three days.

Later, he escaped from the police station when the two police officers who monitored him had fallen asleep.

Below are photos of Zhang Zhaoyu taken several days after the torture.

June 1, 2008