Accounts of Persecution of Falun Gong Practitioners in Tangshan, Hebei Province
1. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Liang Shufen is a worker at the Tangshan Iron & Steel Group Co. On July 23, 1999, Ms. Liang was illegally detained for three days in the West Dorm of Tangshan Iron & Steel. In September 1999, Liu Jinkui and a director surnamed Zhang from the security division of the company detained Ms. Liang for two weeks in the West Dorm and tried to brainwash her, despite the fact that Ms. Liang was pregnant. In 2000, police officer Lu from the Jianshelu Police Station ransacked Ms. Liang's home and took away Dafa books and other items, including a tape recorder.
On October 7, 2000, Ms. Liang went to Beijing to appeal for the justice for Falun Gong. She was arrested by local police. She was searched, beaten, and then was taken back to Tangshan City the same night. Fu Ruijun and a director surnamed Pan detained Ms. Liang for seven days. She suffered a mental collapse as a result. On October 14, Ms. Liang was taken to the No. 5 Hospital of the Tangshan City Mental Hospital. Four months later, she was transferred to a testing clinic and was injected with unknown drugs. The main doctor was Sun Hexiang. They asked Tangshan Iron & Steel to pay 1,000 yuan per month for the "medical expense." Ms. Liang was detained in the mental hospital for five years. As a result, her mental and physical condition deteriorated further and she tried to commit suicide which resulted in many injuries to her body - a third degree disability with a major depression disorder. (Note: the teachings of Falun Gong forbid killing, including suicide.)
On May 10, 2007, Ms. Liang was reading a Dafa book on the No. 1548 train. The police on the train arrested her and took her to the Tianjin Police Station. Liu Yueqiang and Cao Mo from Tangshan police station took her back to Tangshan for detention. She was detained at the First Detention Center in Tangshan City. Police Liang Jing (female) and Yuan Guoli participated in torturing Ms. Liang Shufen, trying to force her to renounce the practice.
2. Ms. Liang Shixiang is from Caogezhuangm Qianying Town, Fengnan District, Tangshan City. On the afternoon of May 12, 2007, Wu Changshun of the Tianjin Police Station used false identification and brought several people from the Tangshan City Government to break into Ms. Liang's home. They forcibly took the computer and took pictures from her home, including a picture of Ms. Liang's son, and tried to arrest Ms. Liang. Ms. Liang was forced to leave home and has remained homeless for 56 days. Qianying police are still harassing her family every few days. Her home is being watched. Ms. Liang was put in a forced labor camp several years ago. In 2000, when she was detained at the Shijiazhuang Forced Labor Camp, No. 4 Team, police officer Chang Shangming beat her and injured her left leg and left hand. They also stole 1,000 yuan in cash from her.
3. Ms. Zhao Yabin is from Tangshan City. On July 22 1999, Ms. Zhao and her mother went to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. On the morning of July 23, they were arrested and taken to Tangshan City Lunan Court. Ms. Zhao was forced to watch videos which slandered Falun Gong and she was forced to write a guarantee statement that she would quit Falun Gong. Other Falun Gong practitioners refused to do so. Afterwards, a dozen practitioners, including Ms. Zhao, were taken to the Wenbei Office and detained for four days. Ms. Zhao's mother was brought back home by family members on the 24th. The Residents' Committee harassed her and forbade her from visiting her children. The persecution caused her mother's old disease to return and she passed away on February 3, 2001. On the morning of September 29, 2003, policeman Gu Shi from the Tangshan City Xinlizhuang Police Station arrested Ms. Zhao when she was taking a walk. She was detained for 25 days at the First Tangshan Detention Center.
4. Mr. Zheng Yunhui is from Zhongwangpan Town, Yuehe County, Kaiping District, Tangshan City. He was arrested on the night of July 19, 1999 and detained for three days. On October 8, 2000, Mr. Zheng was arrested by police from Yuehe Police Station, including Fu Huaili and Ba Yunhui, and taken to Tangshan First Detention Center. Mr. Zheng was detained for three months and was fined 3,400 yuan. On April 28, 2001, policeman Fu Huaili took Mr. Zheng away again and detained him at the Kaiping Forced Labor Camp for three months. This time he was fined 5,000 yuan. His family was harassed three times and his wife died as a result of the persecution.
5. Mr. Ma Qingyuan, Mr. Mu Changrong and Mr. Ma Reimin are all from Yuehe County, Kaiping District, Tangshan City. On the night of July 19, 1999, they were arrested by personnel from the Juzhuang Police Station and detained for three days. In May 2001, Mr. Ma Qingyuan was detained at the Fengnan District Detention Center of Tangshan City for a year and a half, with a fine of 5,000 yuan. The government officials thought he was a "key person" and put him in an underground cell with no sunlight at all. The deplorable conditions caused boils to grow on his whole body. They did not give him enough food and he became so weak that he almost died. The authorities were afraid of taking responsibility for his death and asked Mr. Ma's son to take him home. When his son saw that Ms. Ma was dying he became extremely angry and told the police, "You caused him to be like this - you should keep him!" The police were frightened and returned 5,000 yuan to Mr. Ma's son.
Other practitioners currently being detained in Kaiping Forced Labor Camp include Li Ying and Lao Guo. The Zunhua City Detention Center has detained five practitioners, including Li Liping.
Those who have participated in the persecution at Kaiping Forced Labor Camp include Wang Yanhuam, Wang Yufen, Yan Hongli, and Ruan Daguo (assistant director).