Editors' note: In both Western and Chinese cultures, the principle of karmic retribution, that is, being held ultimately accountable for one's own actions, is widely accepted. The fundamental teaching of Falun Gong is the characteristic of the universe, Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. The universe will reward acts that are in harmony with this principle, while doing things such as beating, torturing and murdering people will incur karmic retribution. Stated another way, good deeds will be rewarded with good, while evildoings will meet due retribution. Articles such as this one are meant as a compassionate reminder of this principle to those who would commit wrongdoing. While many of those who persecute Falun Gong are merely "following orders," the universal law requires that they, too, be held responsible for their actions, and that only by reversing their course of wrongdoing may they escape retribution.

1. Lin Hongjun, a Policeman from Guan County, Shandong Province, Suffers Mental Collapse

Lin Hongjun, about 38 years old, was the director of the Jia Town Police Station. He was in charge of Political Instructor Wang Xiaojie and police officers Zhang Jianpeng, Jia Shukun, Song Xiangzeng, Lu Guanlin, Si Zhendong, Qian Shaobo, and others in the persecution of Falun Gong. Their persecution tactics included tracking practitioners' movements, breaking into their homes in the middle of the night, evicting them from their homes, threatening them, slandering them, and beating and shocking them with electric batons. Since July 20, 1999, he has been responsible for the repeated arrests, detentions, and brutal torture of more than 60 practitioners. Ms. Song Fenglan was forced to become destitute and homeless for two years due to the persecution. Mr. Peng Yutang, Mr. Yu Huaijun, and Mr. Qi Shuyang were illegally sentenced to forced labor.

The police not only brutally persecuted the practitioners mentally and physically, but also persecuted them financially. Every time the CCP declared a "politically sensitive day," Lin Hongjun arrested the practitioners, "illegally detained" them for undetermined lengths of time, fined them, and forced them to do slave labor. In order to detain more people, the police station started a large-scale expansion program. There was a big hole in the courtyard in the police station. Lin Hongjun forced the practitioners to drive their own tractors to move the soil to fill in the hole. Lin Hongjun made the senior practitioners lay the floor tiles for him. He also forced the practitioners to sleep on the ground in the cold of winter.

Lin Hongjun also used all kinds of excuses to hit them with various fines and charges, such as 20 yuan for taking their photos, 50 yuan for roll-call, 100 yuan for listening to the CCP's lies and propaganda, 200 yuan for being detained, 830 yuan for not listening to the police, and thousands of yuan for refusing to be "transformed."

One particular practitioner is from Jinglou Village. His aunt lived at Hanlu Village, and she was sick. When this practitioner went to his aunt's home to visit, Lin Hongjun arrested him and took him to the police station. Lin Hongjun deceived this practitioner by telling him that someone had reported him for planning to go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa. The practitioner clarified the truth to him but was forcibly sent to the county police department. The practitioner was then imprisoned. The police fined the practitioner more than 3,000 yuan before releasing him.

Practitioners Ms. Song Fenglan and her husband Qi Shuyang are from Xuxin Village. They have both been brutally persecuted by Lin Hongjun for a long time. Mr. Qi was illegally sentenced to a two-year term of forced labor. In 2001, Ms. Song was brutally tortured many times at the police station, the detention center, and the 610 Office brainwashing center. As a result of the torture, she became mentally unstable and drank a large bottle of agricultural chemicals. She nearly lost her life.

Once Lin Hongjun called the practitioners to attend a meeting. Mr. Yan Taixiang and another practitioner from Wali Village were late by a few minutes. Lin Hongjun proceeded to handcuff the couple to a tree near the road, beating and shouting at them in full view of the public. This led to Mr. Yan's mentally collapse, and he committed suicide in 2004.

Because Lin Hongjun persecuted practitioners so much, he was promoted to Captain of the Guan County Police Department Financial Investigation Team. He was also a appointed to become a Party committee member at the beginning of 2004. But shortly after he was promoted, the political instructor Wang Xiaojie died of cancer. On the morning of July 28, 2008, at a routine meeting in the police department, Lin Hongjun was reported to the authorities for all of his wrongdoings. After the meeting, he and his wife were arrested and imprisoned. Currently he is being detained at the Dashi Detention Center in Liaocheng City. He later suffered a mental collapse.

2. Zheng Shoulan Commits Suicide

On November 22, 2008, Zheng Shoulan from the Zichuan District, Zibo City, Shandong Province, committed suicide by jumping off a building. About 40 years old, she was a teacher at the Zichuan District Middle Technical School, and she was once the assistant of the Zichuan District Falun Gong Assistant Center. After the CCP started to persecute Falun Gong on July 20, 1999, she cooperated with CCP personnel to arrange a photography show to slander Falun Gong. She also formed a group to promote slanderous and wicked theories about Falun Gong. Her health steadily became worse and worse. Practitioners talked to her to urge her to rectify herself, but it had little effect. Later she could not go to work because of her bad health, and in the end she committed suicide.