Practitioner Ms. Chen Weijun from Heilongjiang Province Dies as a Result of Being Cruelly Tortured 37 Times
On June 3, 2007, practitioner Ms. Chen Weijun from Nenjiang County in Heilongjiang Province passed away. She was only 49 years old. The heavens also cried for Ms. Chen Weijun the evening she died. It was pouring rain and there was lightening and thunder. Also, by 3 a.m., a banner with the words, "Our Commiseration for Chen Weijun Who Was Persecuted to Death by the CCP [Chinese Communist Party]. Falun Gong Is Innocent. The CCP has Persecuted 80 Million Chinese People to Death!" could be seen on the south side of the road leading to the funeral home. People learned the truth from this banner.
Chen Weijun was arrested and detained many times over the past six years. She suffered cruel torture 37 times. On March 18, 2000, she was detained in a very dark solitary confinement cell for three months. Ms. Chen then went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong. She was arrested at the railway station. On April 5, 2000, she was illegally sentenced to one-year of forced labor at Qiqihar Shuanghe Women's Forced Labor Camp. Team leader Wang Yan beat and shocked her with electric batons and brutally forced-fed her. She was detained in solitary confinement. In November 2001, police from the Nenjiang Police Station arrested her again. In 2002, she was illegally sentenced to an 11-year term. Her husband, not a practitioner at that time, was sentenced to a seven-year prison term without proper legal procedures. On July 29, 2002, she was taken to Heilongjiang Province Women's Prison.
At Heilongjiang Province Women's Prison, Ms. Chen suffered cruel torture, such as being hung up, forced to sit for a long time, handcuffed behind her back, put in solitary confinement, and force-fed. She also had the force feeding tube pulled back and forth after it was inserted and the tube was left in her stomach until it turned moldy. Her life was many times in great danger. In July 2005, she was diagnosed with end stage cancer of the female reproductive system. She was given no more than three months to live, so she was granted a medical release. On October 17, however, police from the Nenjiang County Police Station arrested her and took her to Heilongjiang Province Women's Prison. She suffered torture until she could no longer take care of herself. Her life hung again by a thread. In the afternoon on October 7, 2006, the pulse in her right wrist beat rapidly, while no pulse could be felt in her left. The following day, the head of the prison, Zhao Yingling, called a doctor who asked about her condition. Zhao said, "Let her sign the medical record. If she refuses to take medication you can't blame us if she dies." Ms. Chen was again released for medical reasons. The minute she set foot into her home, staff from the Nenjiang County National Security Team and guards from Heilongjiang Province Women's Prison came to harass her.
The following is a brief summary of the 37 times Ms. Chen Weijun was cruelly tortured:
Detained and Tortured in Nenjiang Forced Labor Camp
1. In February 2000, she was beaten with a tool called the "little white dragon." Her wounds were dark purple. Inmate Zhang beat her.
2. In February 2000, her face was slapped and she had to stand with her feet wide apart and both hands held up for half an hour. Detention Center head Gao tortured her.
Detained and Tortured in Qiqihar Shuanghe Forced Labor Camp
3. In April 2000, the No. 5 Team Leader, Wang Yan, shocked her with an electric baton. He also hit Ms. Chen's back with an electric baton. Ms. Chen and ten practitioners were held in solitary confinement. They were forced to squat all day long. Everyone was asked, "Do you still practice or not?" If they said yes, they would be cruelly beaten and then had to squat again. They had to use a bucket in the cell as a toilet. Their water was rationed daily for washing and brushing their teeth. This water was also used to clean the floor. One day after they were called outside and beaten, Wang Yan and someone with the surname Zhao beat and kicked Ms. Chen. Then they tied her to the foot of a bed with a rope and made her squat down. Despite the fact that Ms. Chen's waist was swollen and her leg was black and blue, she still had to squat.
4. On May 24, 2000, she went on a hunger strike. Inmate Chen Jie force-fed her. Ms. Chen's mouth had blisters and her lips were cracked open. One day, inmates He Jie, Zhao Jing and others stuffed a cleaning cloth into her mouth. Then they taped her mouth shut and hung her up on a heating pipe. Someone had to clean up when she defecated. After three to four hours, Ms. Chen lost consciousness. The guards that participated were Li and Liu.
Detained and Tortured in Qiqihar City Forced Labor Camp
5. In June 2000, guards pulled her by her hair and beat and kicked her. Those who tortured Ms. Chen were guard Wang Hui and inmates Zhang Jing, Li Xiaoyang, and He Jie.
6. In June 2000, when she was on a hunger strike, the force-feeding tube was pulled out and inserted repeatedly. The prison doctor's shouted, "If you dare to vomit on me, I will make you suffer until the minute you die." Guard Wang Yan and inmates He Jie and Zhang Jing tortured her.
7. In June 2000, guards and inmates beat, kicked and shocked her with electric batons. The guards who tortured her were Wang Yan and Zhao Xiumei. The inmates who tortured her were Zhang Jing, He Jie, and Li Xiaoyang.
8. In June 2000, guards and inmates beat and kicked her. They force-fed her and forced her to squat for a long time. They also handcuffed her hands behind her back. Guards Wang Yan and Wang Hui, as well as inmate Zhang Jing, tortured her.
9. In July 2000, she was beaten, kicked, force-fed, and handcuffed behind her back. The labor camp doctor, guard Wang Xiaojuan and inmates He Jie, Zhang Jing, and Li Xiaoyang tortured her. Zhang Jing forced open her mouth with a spoon, breaking her teeth. Blood was all over the place.
10. In October 2000, she was detained in solitary confinement. There was a cage, only one meter in width and two meters in length, with no window. She was kept in there for seven days. Guards Wang Yan, Wang Mei, and Zhao Xiumei, and inmates He Jie and Li Xiaoyang tortured her.
11. In August 2000, she was punched in the face, dragged around by her hair, her head pushed between tree branches, and she was forced to squat for half an hour. Four male prisoners and inmates He Jie and Li Xiaoyang tortured her.
12. In September 2000, she was handcuffed with one hand above the shoulder and the other hand folded up against the back, and then hung up. Only her toes touched the ground. She also was made to sit in a half-squat position. Guard Wang Mei and inmates He Jie and Li Xiaoyang tortured her.
13. In August 2000, she was forced-fed through her mouth. Her mouth was forced open with a steel spoon. She had a big cut from this. Police officer Wang Mei and inmate Zhang Jing tortured her.
14. In December 2000, a few days after she returned to the regular cell, she was again taken to a solitary confinement cell. She was handcuffed behind her back and had to sit on the floor the entire night. Then they made her squat with only the tips of her toes touching the ground and with one hand held in place above the bed and the other one behind the bed. This is a cruel torture. There were many practitioners tortured at the same time. Among them were Shen Zili and Fu Zhenying. Team leader Wang Mei and inmate He Jie tortured her.
Detained and Tortured in Qiqihar City Guxiang Detention Center
15. In July 2001, while being force-fed, she was kicked and punched. The detention center doctor punched her face and an inmate kicked her. She was force fed for three days. Her teeth were damaged because they forced her mouth open with metal pliers. She was fed cornmeal laced with salt. Seven to eight inmates pressed her down. While pressing her down, they beat her. Every time they inserted the force-feeding tube, she vomited. The cornmeal she vomited was stained with blood. Each force feeding lasted three hours, and every time she was cruelly tortured. Practitioner Deng Weiguo was killed during force-feeding. Police officers Ma and Liu from the Harbin and Nenjiang Police Station; the head of Guxiang Detention Center, Wang; and inmates Li Wan and Yanglu tortured her.
16. At the end of September 2001, prison doctors and inmates beat, kicked and forced-fed her. As a result, her stomach began to bleed for five days and she vomited blood. The prison doctor and inmates Yang Lu, Li Wan and others tortured her.
Detained and Tortured in Jiusan Agricultural Exploitation Bureau Detention Center
17. At the end of November 2001, she was beaten, kicked, handcuffed with one hand over the shoulder and the other folded against the back and deprived of using the bathroom. Officers Yang Xiaoming, Wang Qingjun and Zuo He tortured her.
18. In early December 2001, she was again forced-fed. The head of the detention center, military officers and jail doctor Wang Jixiang tortured her.
19. Between May and June 2001, she was force-fed and the tube left in her body for over a day. She was also tortured on an iron chair for 53 days every other day. The head of the detention Center, its doctor, and military police officers tortured her.
Detained and Tortured in Heilongjiang Province Women's Prison
20. During the 2002 Mid-Autumn Festival, she was detained in solitary confinement, and guards beat and kicked her. Deputy Manager Xiao Lin also beat her. Inmate Yang Liwei also tortured her.
21. At the end of September 2002, she was detained in solitary confinement and five police officers and one inmate beat and kicked her at the same time. Police officers Xiao Lin, Xiao Xuesong, and inmate Wang Shurong tortured her.
22. At the end of October 2002, she was detained in solitary confinement where she was beaten, kicked, and force-fed. The leader of the guards, Zhu Shuhua, ordered them to hang her by the handcuffs on her wrists. Male guards pulled her hair and inserted the force feeding tube. They moved the tube back and forth three times if she lost consciousness. They waited until she regained consciousness and then inserted it again. Zhu Shuhua, Yang Libin, Zheng Jie, Cong Xin, Tao Dandan, Lu Jinghua, Wang Xiaoli, Wang Xing, President Zhao, and inmate Shang Xiaomei tortured her.
Detained and Tortured in Heilongjiang Province Women Prison Ward Number 7
23. In May 2003, she was force fed through a tube that was pulled up and down. Cui Yan, Wu Xuesong ,and inmate Shang Xiaomei tortured her.
24. In May 2003, she was beaten and kicked. Her hands were handcuffed behind her back. The handcuffs were opened during meal time. Kang Yazhen, Cui Yan, and inmates Yang Shuhua and Fu Xiuling tortured her.
25. In August 2003, because practitioners Chen Weijun, Bi Yunping, Wang Shuxia, and Liu Yongjuan didn't cooperate, they were taken to a solitary confinement cell. All four went on hunger strikes to protest the torture. Guards Xiao Lin, Wang Xing, Zhu Shuhua, Yang Libin, and Zhao Yingling and inmate Shang Xiaomei brutally force-fed the practitioners. Male guard Yong Cheng pulled Ms. Chen's hair, then they put a pry bar into her mouth, moved it around, and opened it as wide as it would go. The Head of the prison, Zhao Yingling, used a flashlight and cast the light into her mouth, as if she was looking for something. Suddenly she claimed she saw what she was looking for. Zhao said to Ms. Chen, "If you want to eat, nod your head. If you don't, shake your head. Chen refused to eat. Zhao then ordered inmate Shang Xiaoling to put the tube down her throat. Zhao said maliciously, "Do you want to eat or not?" Chen shook her head despite suffering excruciating pain. Zhao then ordered inmate Shang Xiaomei to pull the tube up and down. She continued to ask Ms. Chen if she would eat. Ms. Chen kept shaking her head. Zhao was so mad that she ordered inmate Shang Xiaomei, "Pull the tube as hard as you can." Ms. Chen breathed heavily, lost all her strength, and almost fainted. Zhao then stopped the force feeding. They then pulled the tube out and then put it back in. Ms. Chen was force fed with cornmeal mixed with two handfuls of salt. Practitioners Bi Yunping, Wang Shuxia, and Liu Yongjuan suffered the same torture. Because of extreme mental and physical torture, Bi Yunping suffered mental collapse and died within a few days.
26. In October 2003, Ms. Chen was taken outdoors in the cold to freeze. She was also beaten from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for seven days. Guards Cui Yan, Jiang Xiaoli, Lin Jia, Xiao Lin, Wu Xuesong, and Kang Yazhen and inmates Yang Shuhua, Cuixue, Fu Xiuling, and Zhang Yu tortured Ms. Chen.
27. Between November and December 2003, she was taken to a place where hot water was boiled. She was force fed, handcuffed behind her back, and had to stand for 24 hours. She fainted. She had to sit on the floor for many days, and the guards didn't allow the water to be mopped up. Her clothes and shoes were soaked with water for a month. Guards Kang Yazhen, Wu Xuesong, Lin Jia, and Jiang Wei, and inmates Yang Shuhua, Hu Xiaoli and Fu Xiuling tortured Ms. Chen.
28. In January 2004, she was detained for over a month. Some practitioners slept on the floor for months. Guards Kang Yazhen, Wu Xuesong, and Cui Yan, and inmates Yang Shuhua, Fu Xiuli, Guo Guangying, Tao Hua, Hu Xiaoli, and Wang Xuanli tortured Ms. Chen.
29. In February 2004, she was force fed and the tube left in her stomach. She was also handcuffed to the ground for days. Guards Kang Yazhen, Wu Xuesong and Cui Yan and inmates Shang Xiaomei, Ren Haiyan, and Fu Xiuzhen tortured her.
30. In March 2004, the feeding tube was left inside her and only changed every seven days. Guards Kang Yazhen, Wu Xuesong, Cui Yan, and Lin Jia and inmates Yang Shuhua, Fu Xiuling, Hu Xiaoli, Shang Xiaomei, Ren Haiyan, and Guo Guangying tortured her.
Detained at Heilongjiang Province Women Prison Ward Number 1
31. On July 10, 2004, she was hung up from the top bunk bed by her handcuffs. Only her toes touched the ground. They left her in this position, even after she lost consciousness. She was left sitting handcuffed on the floor for one day and night. Guards Cui Hongmei, Zhou Ying, inmates Wang Botao, Bai Xiaoli, Zhang Xi, Tan Hongwei, Guan Hongying, and Han Jianying tortured her.
32. On December 29, 2004, she was again hung from the top bunk bed by her handcuffs. Only her toes could touch the ground. Cui Hongmei, Xia Fengying, Yu Li, Lu Cuijun, Lu Mei, Lu Heng, and Yu and inmates Han Jianying, Wen Cui, Li Yanping, Zhang Xiuyuan, Sheng Qiaomei, Man Yunyue, Sun Xiuyun, Feng Xiaobo, and Li Yanjing tortured her.
33. At 1 p.m. on March 14, 2005, police officers Lu Cuijun, Yue Xiufeng, and over 60 inmates returned from the workshop to the cells. They took practitioners Chen Weijun, Yu Xiuying, Gao Xiuli, Gao Guizhen, Zhang Jing, Guang Shuling, and others to an empty room next to the washroom on the fifth floor. Inmates Li Li, Hao Wei, Zhang Fan, Wang Liying, and a person by the last name of Wen tortured practitioners. They pushed, dragged, kicked, stepped on, and pinched practitioners' hands, feet, and other body parts. Inmates Hao Wei and Cui Wei even sat on practitioners' legs. They attacked them verbally with foul language to humiliate them. Hao and Wen ordered other inmates to get involved in torturing practitioners.
34. On March 17, 2005, between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m., the force feeding tube was pushed through her nose into her stomach twice. Ms. Chen didn't have dinner the evening of the 14th. When prisoners went on a hunger strike, the directions were to force feed them on the 4th, 7th, and 8th days.
35. On March 18, 2005, inmates told her that Team Leader Xia wanted to talk to her. They put her again into a dark solitary confinement cell for three months. Because she refused to wear the uniform, inmate Xiao Junli put her knee against Ms. Chen's belly. At the time, Ms. Chen had her period. She began to bleed non-stop. Her health deteriorated during solitary confinement. After she was released from solitary confinement, two inmates closely monitored her continuously. This long-term mental and physical torture made Ms. Chen bleed again. She fainted. Then she was taken to the hospital and diagnosed with endstage cancer of the female reproductive system. She was given no more than three months to live. Therefore, the prison allowed her to return home. They wanted to escape responsibility for her death.
36. Since January 2006, they have mashed the food with their hands and then chopped it in a machine. Then they add large amounts of garlic, big green onions, and spicy preserved vegetables. They call this "killing germs." They force this food on practitioners to hurt their stomaches and intestines. Practitioners who were force fed were Wang Tao, Yan Shuhua, Zuo Yunxia, Zhu Xiangqin, Zhang Linwen, Zhang Liping, and Liu Shufen.
37. On September 30, 2006, guards carried Ms. Chen to the hospital. They told her that they would find a good place for her. She was hospitalized for over 10 days. Not one doctor asked about her physical condition. On the evening of October 5, when she was erecting her palm to send forth righteous thoughts, criminal inmates saw her. Inmate Xu Jinlan slapped her face. Inmate Xiu Shufen ordered two other inmates to take turns watching her. Several inmates often mistreated her at one time. They claimed that they were following Zhao Yingling's orders. Inmates slapped her face with a plastic cover, punched her hard, and threw her from one bed to another. Her legs turned black and blue. On the afternoon of October 7, no pulse could be detected in her left wrist, whereas the pulse in her right wrist was racing. She was at risk of becoming comatose. The next day, prison head Zhao asked a doctor to check on her. Zhao said, "Have her sign her medical record, then no one will be responsible for her death if she refuses to take medication."