Practitioners in the Binhai Development Zone of Weifang City, Shangdong Province Were Persecuted (23 Cases)
Since the persecution began on July 20, 1999, certain divisions of the Binhai (formerly Haihua) Development Zone government and Haihua Corporation, especially the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau, have not ceased torturing and mistreating practitioners. More than 50 practitioners have been arrested and detained without legal justification. Of these practitioners, eight have been taken to forced labor camps, around ten have lost their jobs, and some were fired. Practitioners have suffered abuse or even worse ï¿½" torture. Officers tortured them during interrogation in an attempt to extract confessions, and many practitioners were also fined. Every practitioner in that area has been subjected to brainwashing tactics. They have suffered physical and mental trauma because of the continued harassment.
Please find below information about the persecution of practitioners living in the Binhai Development Zone. This information was obtained independently of any government channels.
1. Practitioner Ms. Tian Shufang is 60 years old. On October 11, 1999, she went to Beijing to appeal to the central government on behalf of Falun Gong. Beijing police officers arrested her on Tiananmen Square. She was searched by staff from the Weifang Government Beijing Liaison Office, who confiscated 500 yuan from her. While being taken back to Weifang, Weifang police officers fined Ms. Tian another 500 yuan, claiming that it was for her fare. Wang Zengxin and Lun Yu of the Haihua Corporation Security Division detained her in the Property Management Company for three days. The covered her head with a blanket and brutally beat her. The Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau released her after 45 days. While she was in detention, officials extorted 3,000 yuan from her family. They did not give any reason for the fine, nor did they give a receipt. In addition, the Security Department of the Property Management Company fined the family another 465 yuan, claiming is was for living costs.
On the morning of July 3, 2000, a group of police officers, under orders from Deputy Chief Wang Chunqiao of the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau, arrested practitioners, including Ms. Tian, while they were practicing the Falun Gong exercises in Lake Park. Ms. Tian was taken to the Dawa Police Station where she was interrogated, videotaped and tortured for hours. Her hands were cuffed behind her back and she was detained for nine days. She went on a hunger strike to protest her detention. Officers from the Police Security Bureau took her to the Salt Field (subsidiary of the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau) where she was forced to pull stone-rollers. Zhang Shujun, chief of the deputy squad, beat her head brutally. Yang Zhiying, chief of the police station, stomped on her feet. As a result, her feet became swollen and the skin peeled off. She was in pain for quite some time. Officers extorted another 3,000 yuan from her family. On October 26, 2000, she was taken to the Laohekou Brainwashing Center for another 78 days.
One night in March 2001, a member of the Security Section in Haihua Corporation arrested Ms. Tian again. The Security Section suspected that she was distributing truth-clarification materials. She was then taken to and detained at the Shouguang Detention Center. She was later transferred to the Frontier Police Station at Laohekou were she was tortured for 15 days.
At 9:00 p.m. on February 6, 2002, three or four policemen broke into Ms. Tian's home and arrested her. Officer Yang Qinghua slapped her face, and beat her head and face with a broom after he got tired of slapping her with his hands. Ms. Tian was beaten so severely that she became dizzy and was semi-comatose. The next day, she was taken to Shouguang Detention Center by staff from the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau. Thirty days later, she was sentenced to one year of forced labor at Wangcun Forced Labor Camp.
2. Ms. Zhang Ruilan is 58 years old. On April 21, 2000, she went to Beijing to appeal to the central government for justice for Falun Gong. Police officers from Fangshan Police Station arrested her. Lun Yuqi and Ma Qiang of the Security Section in Haihua Corporation escorted Ms. Zhang back from Beijing after seven days. She was detained at the Security Section of the Real Property Company and was interrogated. She was sentenced to fifteen days of detention for "harassing society and public order." Staff from the Property Management Company extorted 3,000 yuan from her daughter, which came from the housing fund (a fund used for housing construction).
On the morning of July 3, 2000, when Ms. Zhang was practicing the exercises, Wang Chunqiao from the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau arrested her and took her to the Dagui Police Station. Ms. Zhang was interrogated, videotaped and tortured for hours. Her hands were handcuffed behind her back and she was forced to sit on the ground in the courtyard. Later, she was imprisoned without any legal process and tortured for nine days at the salt field. When on hunger strike to protest her detention and torture, she was forced to pull the stone-roller at the salt field. Zhang Shujun beat her head brutally.
On October 26, 2000, she was again arrested and taken to the Laohekou Brainwashing Center for 18 days.
One day in March 2001, Ms. Zhang visited her mother. At 1:00 p.m., officers from the Security Section of the Haihua Bus Station arrested her, and Zhang Guoliang and Wang Zengxin took her to the Security Section of the Haihua Corporation. She was transferred to the Frontier Police Station in Laohekou where she was held for one night. Police officers ransacked her home and confiscated Falun Dafa books and Teacher's photos. Wang Zengxin shouted abusive language at her as soon as he saw her. The next day, officers from the Public Security Bureau, including Yang Qinghua, decided to have Ms. Zhang sentenced to forced labor. They took her to a hospital for a physical examination and she was found to be in poor health. The officers didn't like the results and argued until a doctor angrily told them, "She is so sick and can't stand any further suffering!" The officers had to take her home.
At 1:00 a.m. on February 8, 2002, four police officers broke into Ms. Zhang's home and ransacked it. Ms. Zhang and her husband Mr. Liu Wensheng were taken to the Hetao Police Station of the City Public Security Sub-bureau. Lun Yuqi verbally abused Ms. Zhang and an officer beat Mr. Liu Wensheng in the chest and abdomen. The next day, the officers called in their daughter who was at work and also beat her. Once their daughter guaranteed that her parents would not practice Falun Gong, they were released. Not long afterwards, Ms. Zhang's husband became sick again. After practicing Falun Dafa, his lung cancer had been cured; however, since he stopped practicing, he relapsed. He died within a few months.
3. Ms. Cui Rongxiu is 41 years old. On October 11, 1999, she went to Beijing to clarify the truth about Falun Dafa. On the evening of October 19, she was taken back by staff from the Dawa Public Security Sub-bureau. The police beat her, fined her 8,000 yuan and detained her for 25 days.
On the evening of May 11, 2000, Ms. Cui went to a practitioner's home to celebrate Teacher's birthday. On May 12, she was arrested and not allowed to sit down at the police station for an entire day. Local police officers verbally abused her and other practitioners. Ms. Cui was detained at the Property Management Company for the night. On the morning of May 13, Hao Guijun, an officer from the Public Security Sub-bureau, forced her to stand on a chair close to a window and told her to jump off of it. She refused. Hao Guijun pushed her to the ground, stomped on her body and kicked her waist. She was hurt so severely that she couldn't stand up. She was released after it turned dark.
On October 26, 2000, Ms. Cui was arrested and imprisoned at the Laohekou Frontier Police Station without legal justification by Ma Qiang and Sun Xingli, who were employed by the Property Management Company of Haihua Corporation. She went on a hunger strike to protest her detention and was force-fed. She was released after three months of detention.
In December 2001, police of the sub-bureau ransacked Ms. Cui's home. They found 26 copies of truth-clarification materials. Ms. Cui was detained in the police station for a night. The next day, she was paraded through the icy and snowy streets, then taken to the Shouguang Detention Center, where she was tortured for another 38 days.
4. Ms. Feng Shuxiang is over 50 years old. On the evening of May 11, 2000, she went to a practitioner's home to celebrate Teacher's birthday. On May 12, she was arrested and not allowed to sit down at the police station for an entire day. Mou Xinlei, a local officer from the Public Security Sub-bureau abused and mistreated Ms. Feng. She was held at the Property Management Company for the night and released the next day.
On June 22, 2000, officers from the Dafui Public Security Sub-bureau arrested Ms. Feng again. They beat and kicked her. In the afternoon, she was taken to the Salt Field Detention Center, where she was imprisoned for 13 days. On October 26, 2000, Lun Yuqi of the Real Property Company deceived her into attending a half-hour meeting. He arrested her and took her to the Laohekou Frontier Police Station, where officers tried to force her to write a guarantee statement. Policeman Mou Xinlei beat, kicked and verbally abused her. She was detained for close to 10 days.
5. Ms. Li Huiting is 42 years old. From July 20 to 22, 1999, she was detained at Haihua No. 2 Middle School, and was forced to watch programs broadcast by CCTV slandering Falun Dafa and its Teacher. The officers tried to force her to write a guarantee statement promising to renounce Falun Dafa. They threatened to detain her if she did not comply. Xu Songcui, deputy director of the Haihua District Administration Association, ordered her detainment and managers and teachers from Haihua No.2 Middle School enforced the order. At that time, because she hadn't studied the Fa well, she wrote the so-called guarantee statement against her own will.
On October 12, 1999, Ms. Li went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. She was arrested and imprisoned at the Beijing Qianmen Public Security Bureau, Fengtai Stadium and Huairou District Detention Center. Police officers beat her face with leather belts, forced her to stand for long hours, used the torture method "flying" (she was hung up with both arms and legs stretched wide), and locked her in a small dark cell. She was then taken to Chongwen District Detention Center, where officers Liu and Li shocked her with electric batons. At about 7:00 p.m. on November 19, she was taken back to the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau and forced to sit on the cold cement from the minute she arrived. Ms. Li spent the night with her hands cuffed to a chair. On November 20, officers Zhao Xinlu and Wang Yaojie claimed that she was "disturbing the execution of the law" and called her a criminal. Wang Ping threatened and tortured her mentally repeatedly. He attempted to have her write a guarantee statement and threatened that she would have to stand all day until she wrote the statement. Even Liu, deputy chief of the Police Station, took part in torturing her. Ms. Li was forced to stand for seven days at a time and officer Mou Xinlei ordered others to put rusted shackles on her feet. Ms. Li's feet hurt so much that she could not move or sleep at night. During the day, she could barely walk because of her swollen legs and feet. During her imprisonment, her family members were threatened and blackmailed by officers from the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau. The officers extorted 3,000 yuan from the family members as a so-called fine, and an additional 5,000 yuan as "bail." They did not issue a receipt.
On December 14, 1999, Ms. Li was bailed out by her family. However, Zhao Yongde, director of Haihua Education Committee, did not let her go back to work. Instead, she was forced to write a statement on her understandings of Falun Gong at home. She suffered economically and mentally. The former schoolmaster, a relative of Ms. Li, was dismissed and the award of "Advanced School" was taken away from him. After the lunar New Year of 2000, Ms. Li demanded to return to work, but Zhao Yongde would not give permission. From the end of February until early March 2000, she was suspended from work. The workplace deprived her of her salary beginning in October 1999, the date when she appealed to the Beijing government, because she refused the request of Zhao Yongde and Sun Kuishan, an official of the Political and Ideological Work Division, to appear on television to slander and renounce Falun Dafa.
On June 21, 2000, Ms. Li went to Beijing a second time. She was reported and then arrested at the Qingzhou Railway Station and taken to Dawa Police Station in Haihua District. The next morning, on orders from deputy chief of the Public Security Sub-bureau Wang Chunqiao, officers cuffed her hands behind her back for hours. Ms. Li was also locked in an iron chair. Officer Mou Xinlei shook her injured arm many times until the teeth of the handcuff injured the back of her hand. The scar can still be seen today and Ms. Li's arms were numb for almost a year. The officers, including Mou Xinlei, humiliated and insulted her. They put a big hat made with newspaper on her head and made her sit under the burning summer sun without moving. Her legs were pulled apart and stretched straight forward. At the same time, her hands were cuffed behind her back. After dinner, Zhang Shujun, head of the deputy squad, grabbed her hair and pushed her against hard objects. He shouted wildly at the same time, "Use a rope and hang yourself!" Ms. Li told him that a practitioner would not commit suicide, for it is sinful. Zhang pushed her into the courtyard. She fell and couldn't get up because her hands were cuffed behind her back. Zhang grabbed her hair and pulled her up. At that moment, the courtyard was full of policemen watching.
Ms. Li was taken to the Shouguang Detention Center for 7 days of torture after she refused to sign the detention paper. She refused to eat or drink to protest her detention. She was handcuffed and forced to sit in the iron chair. From that day on, Xu Songcui, deputy director of the Haihua District Administration Committee, and responsible for the persecution of Falun Gong, deducted 200f Ms. Li's family members' wages each month. He intended to destroy the family economically and have them suffer mentally.
On July 3, 2000, Ms. Li was again arrested by officers from the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau and taken to Dawai Police Station when she was found practicing the exercises with other practitioners at Man-made Lake Park. Wang Chunqiao ordered police officers to have practitioners who participated in the group practice handcuffed with their hands behind their backs. All practitioners, including Ms. Li, were interrogated and videotaped. They were detained without legal process. The practitioners were locked up in two small cells at Haihua Detention Center, the salt field of the Public Security Sub-bureau. Ms. Li and three other practitioners who were arrested at the same time shared a small cell and half a broken mat. There were rats running around in the confined area. They held a hunger strike to protest the detention, but Wang Chunqiao ordered the staff and nurses at Haihua Hospital to force-feed Ms. Li. Afterwards, they did not remove the tubes for hours. Yang Zhiying, chief of the police station, kicked her in the face. Wang Chunqiao, deputy chief of the Public Security Sub-bureau, threatened her, "If you participate in group practice again, I will take you to the forced labor camp."
In October 2000, the Haihua District 610 Office Brainwashing Center was set up at the Laohekou Frontier Police Station. On the morning of October 27, Sun Mingjun, the former schoolmaster of the No.2 Middle School and a teacher, visited Ms. Li. He pretended to call her back to work, and promised she would be paid. Ms. Li rejected the offer. At about 11:00 a.m. on October 28, Sun Shouguo, head of the Party and Government Office and deputy director of the 610 Office, police officers Zhao Xinlu, Lu Liang and Wang, school vice-principal Sun Yunguang, and teachers, including Liu Meilong, Qin Zengxiang told Ms. Li's husband to go with them and let them in the house. Ms. Li found her home full of people after she returned with her child. She used her own experience to clarify the truth about Falun Dafa to them, telling them that Falun Dafa is good, that the persecution is wrong, and that the so-called "training class" is in fact imprisonment. She told them that they were violating human rights and committing wrongdoing. She refused to be "reformed." Sun Shouguo said, "I don't care who's right and who's wrong. You have to go. You don't have any choice in the matter. My superiors give the orders, and I have to obey, or I will lose my job and everything!" He motioned to the four or five strong men he brought with him and had Ms. Li carried to the car and taken to the Laohekou Brainwashing Center. This time, she was detained for two months. Xun Qingyun and his men also ordered the State Soil Bureau in Haihua District to take Ms. Li's husband to the Ocean Hotel where he was subjected to brainwashing tactics for a half day.
Since Ms. Li had gone to appeal in Beijing, officers from the Haihua Public Security Bureau had extorted a total of 8,000 yuan. Ms. Li's family suffered economically and mentally at the hands of the Communist Party officials and staff from various government offices, the Public Service Bureau and Haihua No. 2 Middle School in the Haihua Development Zone. She asked officials from the No. 2 Middle School and Public Service Bureau many times to let her return to work. They ignored her requests. She was not allowed to work, and lost her salary and the chance for a promotion. They had taken her salary, and medical and insurance cards, and continued to harass her and go to her house uninvited.
6. Mr. Hao Wuzhong is 58 years old. At dinner time on July 23, 1999, Huang Yude, supervisor of the Soda Factory Workshop, Li Mingjie, deputy supervisor, and Li Xueshu, head of Security Section of the Shangdong Weifang Soda Factory (subsidiary of the Haihua Corporation) went to Mr. Hao's home twice. They threatened that if he didn't write a guarantee letter renouncing Falun Gong, he would lose his job.
On the morning of June 3, 2000, eight practitioners, including Mr. Hao, practiced the exercises at Man-made Lake Park. Wang Chunqiao, deputy chief of the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau, ordered a group of policemen to arrest the practitioners and take them to Dawa Police Station. Mr. Hao's hands were handcuffed behind his back. He was forced to sit up straight with both legs stretched forward in the courtyard for hours. Later, he was charged with "disturbing and harassing social order" and was imprisoned in a detention center for 7 days. Mr. Hao went on a hunger strike to protest his imprisonment. Wang Chunqiao ordered police officers and nurses to force-feed him and about ten policemen pushed him down on a "Kang" (a bed made of earth and mud). Yang Zhiying, chief of the Haihua District Dawa Police Station, savagely stomped on his left foot causing his ankle to be swollen for quite some time. The officers also pushed Mr. Hao's arms hard against the kang. He was bleeding profusely from his nose and mouth because of the violent insertion of the feeding tube. After the force-feeding, he vomited blood in the courtyard. Wang Chunqiao shouted "Lock him up and put him on the iron chair!" Afterwards, Wang and other policemen forced him to pull a stone-roller in the salt field until he was too tired to move. He was imprisoned and persecuted for 7 days. They also fined him over 100 yuan, which they called "living costs."
On July 15, 2000, Mr. Hao went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. He was arrested at the gate of the Bureau for Letters and Visits of Beijing and taken to the Weifang Government Beijing Liaison by officers from the Weifang Public Security Bureau and Bureau for Letters and Visits of Weifang City. The 200 yuan he carried on him was confiscated. At 9:00 p.m. on July17, he was taken back to Dawa Police Station. He was forced to sit on the cement, and Wang Chunqiao ordered other officers to pour cold water over him. Though it was July, he was shivering cold. The next morning, Wang and a group of policemen attempted to fingerprint Mr. Hao, but he refused, so some of them forcefully pressed Mr. Hao's finger onto the document. Wang also cut Mr. Hao's hair. Mr. Hao was charged with "disturbing the execution of the law" and imprisoned in Shouguang Detention Center for a month. During his imprisonment, he suffered brutal torture by criminal inmates Fu and Ma. He was also forced to work for ten or more hours daily. After being released, he was fined 1,000 yuan and his train fare of over 740 yuan.
On December 28, Mr. Hao was taken by Huo Tongcha, head of the Security Section of the Soda Factory, to the Laohekou Brainwashing Center where he was detained for another three months.
Mr. Hao was persecuted from July 3, 2000 to March, 2001, lost his job and thus could not make a living. He sustained an economic loss of around 15,000 yuan. Practitioners have suffered economically, physically and mentally during the past years. During holidays or festivals or any other important time, police monitored Mr. Hao. They even knocked loudly at his door at midnight many times.
7. Mr. Wang Wende is 59 years old. On the afternoon of July 15, 2000, he went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. He was searched and the officers stole all the money he had on him. On the morning of July 18, he was taken to the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau. Wang Chunqiao, the deputy chief of the Sub-bureau, and a group of police officers beat and kicked him. They handcuffed his hands behind his back and cut his hair. They abused and insulted him, poured cold water over him in the courtyard, and tortured him with the iron chair torture method. Wang slapped his face four times. Mr. Wang had to sit upright for the entire night in a small cell. On the morning of July 19, 2000, officers demanded that he sign the detention documents, but he refused. Then, an officer beat him with his shoe until his mouth bled. At last, the police officers signed for him and forced his fingerprint on the paper. Then, he was taken to Haihua Detention Center for further torture. Officers beat him with brooms, forced him to stand still facing a wall, and handcuffed his hands behind his back. By the time he was released, the handcuffs had become rusty, and could only be opened with a mechanical device called a grip. Mr. Wang was not allowed to leave the cell, even for eating, sleeping, or relieving himself.
On October 26, 2000, Liu Guangming, deputy section chief of his former work unit, attempted to take him to a brainwashing center. Mr. Wang refused to go, so Ding Jinzhen, Secretary General of his work unit, and four or five young men took him to Laohekou Frontier Police Station where he was detained without any legal process. He left the cell once, but was escorted by a guard. Officers of the Frontier Police Station were enraged when they realized this. When they found Mr. Wang, they beat him cruelly and imprisoned him for twenty more days. They charged him 50 yuan per day for living costs. The police had extravagant meals, accompanied by alcohol, with practitioners' money. At meal times, Mr. Wang was locked up in his cell and given only leftovers. Xu Qingyun and Sun Shouguo took Mr. Wang to the Weifang 610 Office Brainwashing Center for further persecution. They extorted a total of 5,000 yuan from his salary.
8. Mr. Jiang Hongchang is 59 years old. On the morning of July 18, 1999, Sun Yupu deceived him into going for a "talk" at the Retiree's Office in Haihua Corporation. The police arrested and imprisoned him for seven days. He was forced to watch TV programs and videos slandering Falun Dafa. The officers demanded that he hand in all his Falun Dafa books, and write a guarantee statement renouncing Falun Dafa. During the CCP's suppression, staff from the Public Security Bureau, Security Section, Retiree's Office, and his former work unit came to his home to harass, threaten and monitor him. He was not diligent in his Fa study and thus was not clear on the principles of the Fa. Therefore, Mr. Jiang was close to a mental breakdown and could not endure the persecution and harassment anymore. Finally, he committed a great sin against Falun Dafa and destroyed a copy of Zhuan Falun, one set of tapes of Master's lectures, a large picture of Master teaching the exercises, a picture of a Falun, a photo of Teacher and a collection of Teacher's early poems-- Hong Yin. He suffered tremendously from having given up Falun Dafa.
On July 15, 2000, Mr. Jiang went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa. On arriving at the Bureau for Letters and Calls of Beijing, he was immediately arrested by plainclothes police officers and taken to the Weifang Government Beijing Branch Office, where the officers took all the money he had on him. Mr. Jiang spent the night on the cement floor. On the morning of July 18, Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau employee Li Xisong, a staff member of his former work unit, the Haihua Transportation Company, took him back to his area. Wang Chunqiao incited a group of police officers to push him to his knees and beat him. Wang shouted wildly, "You would have been treated better if you had killed a few men, instead of going to Beijing!" After beating him, they poured cold water over him, and handcuffed his hands behind his back. Then, they interrogated him. Mr. Jiang spent the night tied to a chair at the police station. The next morning, police officer Liu Heizi beat his face twice. Afterwards, he was taken to a detention center under the control of the sub-bureau, where he was detained for 12 days. During his hunger strike, he was abused, beaten and threatened by the police. On October 26, 2000, Zhang Yichao, the factory director of Automobile Repairing Factory of Transportation Company took him to a brainwashing center, where he was detained for three months.
9. Ms. Jiang Shurong is 60 years old. Around July 14, 1999, officers from the Haihua Security Section monitored her and forbade her to leave her home. Later she was deceived into going to the Office for Retired Affairs, where she was held by Zhang Guoliang, Fang Zhijie, and officers from the Security Section. On July 20, 1999, she was forced to watch TV programs slandering Falun Dafa and defaming Master. Because she hadn't studied the Fa diligently, she wrote a guarantee statement to renounce Falun Gong. Only then was she allowed to return home.
In June 2000, Ms. Jiang went to the Beijing Bureau for Letters and Calls to appeal for Falun Gong. She ended up at the Weifang Government Beijing Liaison Office, where she did the fifth exercise. Police officers kicked her so hard that her legs were bruised all over. The next day, she was escorted to the Haihua Police Station, and then taken to the Shouguang Detention Center, where she was held for three days.
In March 2001, when Ms. Jiang was distributing truth-clarifying materials in the Haihua area, she was arrested by Fang Zhijie, a member of the Security Section in the Property Management Company, and taken to the Haihua Dawa Police Station. There, she was subjected to the iron chair torture. The officers shouted abusive language at her while putting glue on her face. The next day, officers from the Haihua Police Station took her to the Shouguang Detention Center where she was held for one month, even though she refused to sign the detention documentation. She was interrogated, force-fed and fined. When she was interrogated, Yang Qinghua, a police officer from the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau, slandered Master. On April 29, Yang Qinghua and Ma Lijie had Ms. Jiang transferred to and detained at the Laohekou Frontier Police Station for further torture.
A month later, officers from the Public Security Sub-bureau paraded Ms. Jiang around the Haihua area to humiliate her publicly; the surname of the policeman who escorted her was Ma. Afterwards, Ms. Jiang was taken to the Dawa County Government. She refused to sign the reeducation documentation, committing her to forced labor. Then, she was escorted by Yang Qinghua and officer Ma to Wangcun Forced Labor Camp. The labor camp has been exposed on the Clearwisdom website because its guards torture practitioners inhumanly. They do not let practitioners sleep and the criminal inmates torture practitioners physically. Ms. Jiang could not endure the torture any longer, so she wrote the so-called three statements against her will. Six months later, she was released.
10. Ms. Liu Suxiang is 55 years old. From July 20 to 22, 1999, Wu (male), director of the Haihua Sixth District Neighborhood Committee, and Dong (female), went to Ms. Liu's home to force her to write a guarantee statement to renounce Falun Gong and hand in all Falun Gong books.
On October 11, 1999, Ms. Liu went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. Beijing police officers arrested her on Tiananmen Square. She was frisked by officers from the Weifang Government Beijing Liaison Office and they took 500 yuan from her. Weifang police officers took her back to her hometown and extorted another 500 yuan, claiming that it was for the fare. Wang Zengxin and Lun Yuqi from the Security Section in Property Management Company of Haihua Corporation detained Ms. Liu for three days at the Real Property Company. Tian Xinfu, office director of the company, beat her. She refused to write a guarantee statement, so Haihua police officers detained her for a total of 45 days. While she was in detention, officers from the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau ransacked her home without a search warrant and confiscated Falun Dafa tapes and books. The police also threatened her family members many times and extorted 3,000 yuan from them without giving a receipt. After Ms. Liu was released, officers from the Security Section in Haihua Corporation extorted another 3,465 yuan.
On June 21, 2000, Ms. Liu went to Beijing to appeal for a second time. She was reported and officers from the Haihua Police Station arrested her at the Qingzhou Railway Station that night. The next morning, Wang Chunqiao, deputy chief of the Public Security Sub-bureau, ordered two policemen to handcuff her hands behind her back and force her to sit on the cement with both legs held tightly together and stretched straight forward. A young policeman tortured her. He stomped on her legs and lifted and dropped her by the handcuffs over 50 times. The teeth of the handcuffs cut into her wrists. Her hands turned black and blue, and were so swollen that the handcuffs couldn't be opened. The young police officer did not stop torturing her until both of her arms were numb. Wang Chunqiao cursed and kicked a chair towards Ms. Liu, but didn't hit her. Wang's shoe came off and he angrily picked it up and brutally beat Ms. Liu's face with it. He kept hitting her while taking her from the building to the courtyard.. Then, officer Mou Xinlei put a newspaper hat on her head and forced her to sit under the burning summer sun.
After dinner time, a police officer, with a group of policemen, violently hit Ms. Liu in the face. Ms. Liu's face was swollen and bruised black and blue and her nose was bleeding. The officers took her to the Shouguang Detention Center for further persecution, without any proper legal procedures. Ms. Liu went on a hunger strike to protest her detention. The police at Shouguang Detention Center ordered criminal inmates to stand over her with a leather whip in hand while she lay on her stomach on the hot cement for seven days. She was not allowed to move, or she would be beaten inhumanly. When one criminal saw her bruised face, he asked, "Who beat you so ruthlessly?" Ms. Liu was taken home when the officers realized that she was on the verge of death. At the same time, her son was suspended from his job for four days, and they took 4,000 yuan from his salary.
On May 12, 2000, Ms. Liu Suxiang was detained at the Haihua Police Station. She had to stand for an entire day because she celebrated Master's birthday on May 11. On May 13, she was transferred to the Real Property Company, where police officers interrogated her. Guard Hao Guijun beat her cruelly.
On October 26, 2000, Lao Wu, director of Neighborhood Committee, and officers from the Property Management Company took her to the Laohekou 610 Office Brainwashing Center in the Haihua District.
11. Ms. Chen Xiangying is 37 years old. On April 21, 2000, she went to appeal in Beijing. She was arrested by officers from Beijing Fangshan District Police Station before she could appeal at the Bureau for Letters and Calls of Beijing. She was detained at the Fangshan Detention Center for a week. However, officers from the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau put her under administrative detention for 15 days with the charge of "disturbing social order," and extorted 6,000 yuan from her family. The officers demanded that Ms. Chen not appeal for Falun Gong. While in detention, her food was severely rationed. She was given a small steamed bun and a small cup of water. Yet, she had to pay 15 yuan for her daily food. She was not allowed to work for two years, as she refused to write a guarantee statement.
12. Ms. Sun Guihua is 65 years old. At the end of October 1999, she went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa. Officers from the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau arrested her and detained her for about 30 days. They also extorted 3,000 yuan from her and charged her an additional 15 yuan a day for living expenses. The police from the local police station harassed her family continuously. During the Sixteenth National Congress, three policemen broke into her home at around 9:00 p.m., and ransacked it. They confiscated all of her Falun Dafa books and a tape recorder. They tried to arrest her ten days later, but she was able to escape. She stayed away from home for over two months to avoid further persecution, but when she returned home, the police broke into her home and tried to arrest her again. Her family members were constantly under stress, which destroyed their harmonious family life.
13. Ms. Wang Xiulan is over 50. Police officers from Haihua arrested her on the evening of September 8, 2004. She was interrogated and was subjected to the iron chair torture method. This torture method is generally only used as severe punishment for criminals. Ms. Wang was not allowed to go to the bathroom through the entire night. After she was released from the iron chair, she became comatose.
The Haihua police oficers took Ms. Wang to the Shouguang Detention Center. Since there was no arrest warrant, the Shouguang Detention Center refused to accept her. Therefore, she was taken back to the Haihua Police Station. The two policemen on duty lit a cigarette and put it into her right nostril, then they kicked her left leg with great force. On the morning of September 9, Yang Qinghua, head of the deputy squad of the Haihua Sub-bureau, and police officers broke into Ms. Wang's home to ransack it. Zhang Huasan, Ms. Wang Xiulan's husband, stood up to them and would not allow them to ransack his home. On the morning of September 10, Ms. Wang's entire body was swollen and she was close to death. Out of fear of having to take responsibility, Shouguang Detention Center refused to accept her. The two police officers put lit cigarettes into her nostrils again, and kicked and beat her violently on the inner side of her thighs. They pushed and pulled her back and forth while she was comatose. On September 14, her family was notified to pick her up at the Shouguang Detention Center. Within only six days, Ms. Wang had turned from a healthy person to one who was near death.
14. Mr. Zhu Kezeng is in his 60s. Since the beginning of the persecution of Falun Gong on July 20, 1999, Mr. Zhu and other practitioners have been taken to the village office and subjected to brainwashing tactics several times. The officers demanded that the practitioners write a guarantee statement. After being taken to the village office, Mr. Zhu was released the next day. Shortly afterwards, his home was ransacked and his Falun Dafa books were confiscated. He was not released until his family paid 3,000 yuan.
15. Ms. Wang Lanhua is about 40. In November 2001, she went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. She was arrested at the Bureau for Letters and Calls of Beijing. She was shocked with electric batons and beaten with a rubber baton, then she was taken to the Shouguang Detention Center where she was detained for thirteen days. She was released after her family paid a certain person 2,000 yuan.
16. Ms. Yuan Xiuhua is over 60 years old. Since July 20, 1999, the beginning of the persecution of Falun Gong, the Dawa County police have forced practitioners, including Ms Yuan, to undergo brainwashing. Her family members were forced to write a guarantee statement, guaranteeing that she would renounce Falun Gong. She was released the next day. Her home has been ransacked twice, and all of her Falun Dafa books were confiscated.
17. On July 20, 1999, Ms. Sun Aixiang went to Weifang to appeal for Falun Gong. She was arrested when returning home and detained at the Chahe crossing. Dawa Police Station and members of the Village Committee held all detained practitioners, including Ms. Sun, for brainwashing. Her family members were forced to write a guarantee statement that she would renounce Falun Gong. As her family members were illiterate, the officers forged the statement. Ms. Sun was detained for three days and then monitored around the clock. Her home was ransacked twice and her personal items were confiscated. Her daughter was also harassed.
18. Ms. Yuan Yinrong went to Weifang to appeal for Falun Gong on July 20, 1999. She was arrested on her way home and detained by officers from the Dawa Police Station and members of the Village Committee. The officers took all practitioners, including Ms. Yuan Yinrong, to a brainwashing center. Her family members were forced to write a guarantee statement promising that she would renounce Falun Gong. She was released after three days but was monitored around the clock. Her home was ransacked once and the officers confiscated personal items.
19. Mr. Yin Wenlong is in his 30s. In July 1999, Sun Mingbiao, manager of the Security Department at Haihua Salt Field, moved Mr. Yin from the second sub-field to the fifth working section in the fourth sub-field. He then detained him for 10 days. Yuan, the secretary of Salt field General Factory, and Sun Mingbiao tortured Mr. Yin. They forced him to squat for hours with both arms stretched straight out and held at the same level. His wife had a miscarriage due to the stress from the constant threats. At the end of 1999, Mr. Yin had been held for 50 days. He was not allowed to go back home after work. Only after his family members paid a 10,000 yuan deposit was he allowed to go home. The officers did not give a receipt and later claimed that they had not received the money.
In March 2000, Mr. Yin went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa. After he returned home, Chen Qingming took him to Sun Mingbiao. Sun beat Mr. Yin with a bamboo stick. When the stick broke into pieces he used an electric baton to shock Mr. Yin in the mouth. Sun extorted 3,000 yuan from Mr. Yin's family, and demanded a 3,000 yuan deposit. He confiscated Mr. Yin's motorbike and kept it for six months. Mr. Yin was detained for 15 days at the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau, where he was tortured. The officers forced his father to pay 480 yuan for food for one month. He was then detained for another 15 days by Sun, who tortured him. Sun forced Mr. Yin's family to turn over a 10,000 yuan deposit to Fang, an employee at the Security Section. (The Security Section only returned 5,000 yuan to Mr. Yin's family after a year.) Sun also intended to confiscate Mr. Yin's father's salary card and ordered the branch field to not pay Mr. Yin's salary for two months. Zhu, a co-worker of Fang, was also involved in harassing Mr. Yin. Mr. Yin was not allowed to leave his home for two months, and two people, including Zhu, monitored him.
In June 2000, Mr. Yin went back to work. Chen Qingming, Fang Jianguang and Wang Chunxiao, who worked for the Fourth Branch Field in Haihua Salt Field, monitored him during and after work. He was only allowed to go home once a week. The workplace did not pay him for four or five months, and later paid him only half of this salary. Even though Mr. Yin's wife had had a baby, he was not allowed to go home to take care of her and the baby.
On October 26, 2000, without notifying his family members, Chen Qingming took Mr. Yin to the Laohekou Brainwashing Center for further persecution. Mr. Yin's family members went to get his motorbike back, but found that the gasoline tank had been emptied. They had to walk the motorbike for about seven to eight kilometers to their home.
Xu Qingyun of the 610 Office ordered Zhang Guoliang and others to beat Mr. Yin with an electric baton. Mr. Yin's body was severely hurt and he even once attempted suicide to escape the persecution [Editor's note: Falun Gong forbids its practitioners to commit suicide]. Xu Qingyun was afraid to take responsibility, so he ordered a staff member from Mr. Yin's work unit take him home. That person was afraid to get involved. When Mr. Yin's mother tried to see him, Zhang Guoliang made up a story about being treated for a headache so she could not see him. After being taken to the Ocean Hotel, Mr. Yin was deluded. He listened to collaborators, brought in by Xu Qingyun and Sun Shouguo. Under pressure, he wrote the three statements to denounce Falun Gong. Mr. Yin had been subjected to brainwashing tactics for 5 months.
Mr. Yin protested as staff from the factory deprived him of his holidays, On August 20, 2001, Mr. Yin had three days off from work. However, the supervisors announced during a factory conference that 500 yuan was deducted from his salary.
20. Mr. Wang Yongjie is 40 years old. On July 20, 1999, he went to Ji'nan, the capital of Shandong Province, to appeal for Falun Gong. He was taken back to his former workplace, the Yangkou Salt Field Chemical Factory. He was under guard around the clock for about a week by four employees of Sun Xiaogong, president of the factory. One of them was Shan Lianfa. Mr. Wang was not allowed to go home unless he assigned a guarantee statement renouncing Falun Gong.
Chai Wenping went to Mr. Wang's home and deceived him into going with him. At about 8 a.m. on October 26, Zhang Jingwei took Wang Yongjie to the Salt-making branch field. Sun Mingbiao, of the Security Department in the salt field, took Mr. Wang to Laohekou Frontier Police Station for brainwashing. Mr. Wang was detained by 610 Office staff members Xu Qingyun, Zhang Minghua and Ding. He was forced to listen to tapes slandering Falun Dafa. Xu Qingyun and Sun Shouguo took Mr. Wang Yongjie and practitioner Wang Zhiguo to the Weifang 610 Office for brainwashing. Mr. Wang was deceived and was "transformed." He was even forced by Xun Qingyun and Sun Shouguo to use brainwashing tactics on other practitioners. Mr. Wang was so misguided by those evil people that he wrote the three statements and he even presented them a silk banner expressing his "gratitude." At the end of the brainwashing session, in March 2001, Mr. Wang was still deceived. After he returned to work, he had to pay 1,000 yuan for living costs at the brainwashing center.
21. Ms. Li Shunhua is 42 years old. On July 19, 1999, a few practitioners were arrested by police officers from the Haihua District. Ms. Li worried a lot, so she made a phone call to a practitioner's home to ask for information. Not long afterwards, Wang Chunqiao, deputy director general of Haihua District Public Security Sub-bureau, along with a group of policemen went to Ms. Li's former workplace (Dawa Second Automobile Team in Shouguang Transportation Company). Wang Chunqiao, Zhang Shujun and Ma Lijie interrogated her. She was detained for about week. The officers threatened that she would not be released until she wrote a guarantee statement renouncing Falun Gong.
On October 11, 1999, practitioners, including Ms. Li Shunhua, planned to go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. However, they were caught by a local guard. The guard took off his shoe and beat Ms. Li's face until it was black and blue. She was detained for three days. Wang Chunqiao and Ma Lijie took the practitioners to the Dawa Public Security Bureau where they were interrogated by Zhang Minghua. Police officer Zhang Shujun ordered Hao Guijun to shock Ms. Li's head with an electric baton. Ms. Li was charged with "disturbing social and public order" and detained at the Salt Field Detention Center of the Sub-bureau.
During her imprisonment, Ms. Li was monitored by Shan Baogang, a guard of the salt field, and officer Yu Peng. She had to pay 15 yuan in living costs per day. However, they only gave her a tiny piece of steamed bread a day. She had to relieve herself inside the same cell, even when the commode was full. It was not allowed to be emptied. Officer Li Guangyao fined her 3,000 yuan without giving a receipt. She was not to be released until she wrote a guarantee statement and had to pay 450 yuan in living costs.
On June 21, 2000, Ms. Li and a few other practitioners went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa for a second time. They were arrested by plainclothes officers at the gate of the Bureau for Letters and Calls of Beijing. They were escorted back by officers Wang Zhiguo and Hao Guijun from the sub-bureau in Binhai Development Zone to the Haihua sub-bureau Dawa Police Station. The next day, Yang Zhiying demanded that Ms. Li sign detention documentation. Ms. Li refused. Yang got angry and hit Ms. Li's neck. Then she was taken to the Shouguang Detention Center. She went on a hunger strike, protesting her imprisonment. Shouguang Detention Center guards forced Ms. Li and other practitioners to lie on their stomachs on the sun-baked cement floor from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. They were closely monitored by criminal inmates. The inmates held a whip in their hand and whoever made the slightest move would be cruelly beaten. During hot June days, the ground temperature was as over 40 degrees. Within seven days, Ms. Li had turned from a healthy person to one who was on the verge of death. Staff at the Public Security Sub-bureau in Haihua Development Zone ordered Ms. Li's husband's work unit to pay them 3,000 yuan out of his salary.
In October 2000, Ms. Li Shunhua was taken to the Laohekou Brainwashing Center. Wang Huiyi, manager of the Second Branch company of the Shouguang Automobile Transportation Company, and Shan Lianzeng took her there. Xu Qingyun, the director of the brainwashing center, ordered Zhang Minghua and Zhuang Guoliang to carry out a so-called military control and management against practitioners. Those who refused to be "transformed" would suffer long-term imprisonment or be taken to a forced labor camp. Ms. Li Shunhua went on a twenty-six-day hunger strike to protest the imprisonment. Xu Qingyun, his staff and the nurses from Haihua Hospital held Ms. Li Shunhua to the ground and force-fed her five times.
During any holiday or any important day, police officers would monitor Ms. Li. Xu Qingyun told Ms. Li that she would be released; instead, she was taken to Haiyang Hotel for further brainwashing. Collaborators, who had betrayed Master and Falun Dafa, also were involved in brainwashing her. She was forced to watch videotapes slandering Falun Gong. They threatened that if she was not "transformed" within two months, she would be taken to a forced labor camp or her imprisonment would be extended. Ms. Li Shunhua was very fearful, so she wrote the guarantee statements against her own will. She was released.
22. Ms. Sang Haiqing is 38 years old. After the CCP began its persecution of Falun Gong in 1999, the director of the Soda Factory in the Haihua Corporation in Shandong, who was responsible for persecuting Falun Gong, forced practitioner Ms. Sang Haiqing to write a "confession" letter. He assigned her to a new job with worse working conditions and the workshop director reduced her salary.
In June 2000, Ms. Sang went to Beijing to appeal. She was arrested and interrogated and insulted by Wang Chunqiao, deputy chief of the Haihua Public Security Sub-bureau. Police officer Hao Guijun beat her head with a shoe until she was bleeding. She was detained at the Haihua Sub-bureau for several days and fined several thousand yuan.
In October 2000, Chang Shoujun, the workshop director, took Ms. Sang to the Frontier Police Station 610 Office Brainwashing Center for persecution. He claimed that she would attend a conference. Ms. Sang was forced to listen to and watch evil propaganda, slandering Falun Dafa and its founder. Her freedoms were restricted and she was not allowed to contact anyone. She went on a hunger strike to protest her detention. Xu Qingyun, the head of the local 610 Office, ordered police officers to force-feed her. Ms. Sang was force-fed water so violently that she vomited blood. Xu Qingyun and Sun Shouguo took Ms. Sang to the Weifang Brainwashing Center after one month. She was detained for another three months.
Ms. Sang was deceived at the brainwashing center by collaborators and gave up cultivation. She presented silk banners to staff at the Weifang Brainwashing Center and Haihua 610 Office to express her gratefulness for being "transformed." Xu Qingyun and Sun Shouguo assigned her to "transform" other practitioners. However, these practitioners showed her that it was wrong for her to be "transformed." She returned to cultivation practice.
In July 2002, Ms. Sang was dismissed from her job with the excuse that she had been absent from work for a long time. She went to her work unit and demanded her job back. The secretary, in charge of Falun Gong issues, demanded that she write the three statements, or she would not get her job back. Since then, Ms. Sang has had no income and has had difficulty to support her son in elementary school
23. Mr. Li Hua is 33 years old. On the afternoon of July 22, 1999, Mr. Li was detained by Wang Baoqing, vice principal of a subdivision of the Haihua Corporation, and Yuan Panli. They forced Mr. Li to watch slanderous programs about Falun Dafa on television. They ordered him to write a guarantee statement.
In September 1999, Mr. Li was reported by Song. He was interrogated at the Public Security Sub-bureau, where the officers demanded he write a guarantee statement. He was detained for about two weeks, and was not allowed to work until a month after he returned home.
In February 2000, Mr. Li went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. He was arrested and taken to the Weifang Government Beijing Office. The officers stole the money he carried on him and he was then taken back under escort of people from his work unit and brutally beaten by the factory director. He was interrogated by officer Yang Qinghua at the public security sub-bureau for an entire day and forced to sit on the cement. The police beat him with shoes, and he was severely injured. He was detained at the Salt Field Detention Center for a month, where he was tortured. He suffered hunger, as he was only given a tiny a piece of steamed bread daily. Officers from the Security Section of the Haihua Corporation extorted 3,000 yuan from his family, and Mr. Li's work unit demanded another 5,000 yuan. Besides that, his work unit confiscated his company shares worth 5,000 yuan.
On July 20, 2000, Mr. Li went to Beijing to appeal again, but he was detained by staff from the Beijing Bureau for Calls and Visits, and taken to the Weifang Government Beijing Liaison Office. Then he was taken to the Haihua Police Station, where police officers tortured him; he suffered injuries. He was then taken to Shouguang Detention Center where he was detained for a month.
In November 2002, Mr. Li was arrested and taken to the Shouguang Brainwashing Center, where he was inhumanly tortured. Guo Hongtang and Ma Wen stripped Mr. Li, chained both his legs, handcuffed his hands behind his back, pushed him to the ground, and shocked him with electric batons. Li Tongzhong and Wang Cuiyan tortured Mr. Li. They shocked him with electric batons, deprived him of sleep, and forced him to watch videos and TV programs slandering Falun Dafa. He was detained for over 20 days. The Haihua Corporation hasn't allowed Mr. Li Hua to work since 2000. He lost all his income and has lived a hard life.
Many practitioners, including Mr. Li Hua, were fired from their Haihua Corporation jobs in 2001 and 2002.
Those involved in torturing and mistreating practitioners are: Xu Qingyun, Yu Haipeng, Yang Qinghua, Wang Chunqiao, Xu Songcui, Sun Shouguo, Tian Xinfu. Zhang Shujun, Yang Zhiying, Lun Yuqi, Hao Guijun, Mou Xinqi, Sun Mingbiao and Zhang Guoliang.