Where is Freedom in Xishui County?
Article 36 of the Constitution of the Peoples Republic of China states that "Citizens of the People's Republic of China enjoy freedom of religious belief. No state organization, public organization or individual may compel citizens to believe in, or not to believe in, any religion; nor may they discriminate against citizens who believe in, or do not believe in, any religion." Article 35 states that "Citizens of the People's Republic of China enjoy freedom of speech, of the press, of assembly, of association, of procession and of demonstration." The actual situation in China is far from the constitutional standard.
Fang Yongming, Huang Haijun, Feng Aiguo, and Guo Jianli are officials of the First Department in the Xishui County Public Security Bureau. They have blatantly violated Falun Gong practitioners constitutional rights to freedom of belief, freedom of speech, the right to appeal to higher authorities, and personal freedom. They attempted to force practitioners to recant their belief in Truth, Compassion, and Tolerance. To achieve this end, these officials have threatened practitioners relatives and friends, fired practitioners from work, imprisoned them, and sent them to forced labor camps. These officials have also ransacked practitioners homes and confiscated personal property. They have coerced practitioners to sign so-called "repentance statements" and other defamatory documents. Some practitioners were illegally detained for eight months. These officials have even exhorted hefty sums of money from practitioners.
These officials have illegally arrested nearly five hundred practitioners, sentenced over thirty-five to forced labor camps and six to prisons. Ten practitioners lost their jobs simply for practicing Falun Gong. Eight practitioners had to leave their homes to avoid further persecution. Practitioner Nan Chuyin was persecuted to death.
1. In September 2005, Feng Aiguo, the head of the First Department, led a group of police into his hometown of Zhudian Village, Zhuwa Town, to persecute practitioners there. On September 4, 2005, Feng arrested practitioner Yao Wanglai. In the same month, they also took away practitioner Zhang Daqiu.
2. Around 4:00 p.m. on August 19, 2005, Xu Xiujin, the assistant director of the Xishui County Public Security Department, and Feng Aiguo led over forty policemen to Haidi Village in Zhuwa Town. The police found practitioner Zhong Changkui helping a friend with farm work. They struck Mr. Zhong to the ground, beat him to unconsciousness, and then dragged him away.
Zhong Changkui, over 30, is a farmer in Haidi Village. He is single and lives with his seventy-five-year-old mother. He is a kind and friendly person. Mr. Zhongs mother tried stop the beating, but the police struck her down also. Her chest, limbs, and back have been injured due to the beating. She has difficulties living alone, yet no one is there to help her.
3. Li Zhengwen had left home for over five years to avoid further persecution. On November 22, 2005, the police illegally arrested him in Xishui County. He was then sent to brainwashing classes in Wuhan and to the Wuhan Mental Hospital for further persecution. Mr. Li has suffered severe persecution, and his health is currently very poor.
4. Zhou Qi and her husband have been active in clarifying the facts. They left home to avoid further persecution, but were illegally arrested in December 2005,.
5. On January 21 2006, Xishui County police arrested practitioner Yang Yunhua and detained her in the basement of the Luotian Police Substation. She was sent to brainwashing classes in Wuhan. Ms. Yang is now detained in Xishui County.
6. Practitioner Nan Chuyin was persecuted to death in February 2001. He is survived by five family members. Nan Chuyin lived in Zhanganmiao Village in the Wanggang Area, Xishui County. The Nan family started practicing Falun Gong in 1997, and they lived in harmony and joy. The family firmly believes in Falun Dafa, so they have suffered severe persecution.
Nan Chuyins mother and a sister were detained several times. Nan Xifen, Chuyins younger sister, was illegally sentenced to six years in prison for distributing truth-clarification materials. She now suffers persecution in a Sichuan Province prison. Nan Xiaoqing, Chuyins son, was illegally arrested and sentenced to eight years in prison for clarifying the truth. The severe persecution made Xiaoqing develop high blood pressure, heart disease, and cerebrovascular diseases, but he is still imprisoned.