Ms. Zhang Guizhen, a Falun Gong practitioner in Chibi City, Hubei Province, died on February 2, 2006, from long-lasting harassment.

On the afternoon of June 11, 2004, Song Jincheng from the Security Section of the Silk-Knitting Factory led the way for the six police officials from the Jingquan Police Substation, including Li Zhaohua, to arrest Ms. Zhang. When nobody opened the door for them, they attempted to get in from the neighbor's window or climb up from the ground floor, but the neighbors refused to cooperate. Then they tried to pry the door open with a knife. They gave up when a neighbor scolded them, "Her daughter is only 13 years old. You'll be responsible for her security if you break the door." However, they came back again at night and deceived her daughter, saying that they would not come for her mother anymore. Ms. Zhang Guizhen had to become destitute and homeless to avoid arrest. Unfortunately, she got a serious illness as a result of the long-lasting harassment and persecution and passed away on February 2, 2006.

Similarly, practitioner Ms. Ju Shumin, a retired employee of the Puji Textile Mill (Group) saw her health deteriorate after 2004 due to the continuous harassment by the local 610 Office and the Jingquan Police Substation. She once argued with police officials in the Jingquan Police Substation, "I am in such bad health, but you still do not allow me to practice Falun Gong!" Ms. Ju died on August 17, 2005.

A 63-year-old practitioner, Ms. Liu Xiaolian, in Chibi City also experienced brutal persecution. She was detained in No. 1 Detention Center of Chibi City since December 6, 2003, where 19 guards and criminals tortured her. Five people pulled her in different directions. The others beat her by turns with a 55-pound shackle. As a result, her private part split open and her joints were dislocated. The U.N. Special Rapporteur released an urgent appeal for Ms. Liu Xiaolian on February 4, 2004, in light of her case. Ms. Liu became so extremely weak that she was unable to take care of herself as the result of the long-term maltreatment. After five months of persecution in the detention center, officials from the Town administration carried her back to her home on May 29, 2005.

People responsible:

Ma Jingyun, 610 Office of Chibi City: 86-13807246560 (Cell)

Cai Jinping, Head of the Political Security Section, Police Department of Chibi City: 86-715-5232701, 86-13807245388 (Cell)

Ma Sihai, Head of National Security Team, Chibi City: 86-715-5235265, 86-13886507776 (Cell)