(Clearwisdom.net) Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Wei Jianhui recovered from a terminal illness through Falun Gong practice. After the persecution of Falun Gong began, he was illegally detained and harassed many times, which finally resulted in his death in September 2004. When Mr. Wei's mother, Ms. Yu Meiying, went to appeal for justice for Falun Gong, she was subsequently arrested. Eventually, following her son's death and her daughter's second imprisonment following a four year jail term, Ms. Yu could no longer stand the sustained attacks on her family, and she died in December 2004.

Mr. Wei Jianhui was a resident of Shaowu City, Fujian Province. He was diagnosed with liver cancer, serious tracheitis and asthma. His doctors gave him only three months to live at that point. After starting to practice Falun Gong, his symptoms disappeared. In 2000, he went to Beijing to appeal on behalf of Falun Gong. On his way there, he was stopped by the police and escorted back to his hometown, where authorities detained and persecuted him for a number of months before allowing him to be released on bail. In 2001, local police officials detained him again for two weeks. Later that same year they sent him to a brainwashing center. After he was released from the brainwashing center, police officers often went to his home to harass him. Mr. Wei's psychological and physical states were both critically damaged by this persecution. He lived in constant terror until his death in September 2004.

Mr. Wei's mother, Ms. Yu Meiying, 70, went to Beijing to appeal in 2001, and was detained by local police for two weeks. Her daughter Ms. Wei Jianyu was illegally sentenced to four years in jail in Fuzhou City, and then detained in the Fujian Province Women's Prison. By late 2003, Ms. Wei was emaciated as a result of being tortured. After being released in April 2004, she stayed with her mother in Shaowu City. In November 2004, someone saw her practicing the Falun Gong exercises in a park and reported her to the police, who then arrested her and incarcerated her at the local police station. She started a hunger strike and was subsequently released. A few days later, the police again arrested her. Without notifying her family members, she was sent directly to the Fuzhou Women's Forced Labor Camp. When Ms. Yu went to visit her daughter at the detention center, she discovered that she was not there. There was no information available regarding where she was being held.

Her son's death, her daughter's second arrest after prolonged detention, and the fact that her family members had been so terribly persecuted seriously affected Ms. Yu's body and spirit. She became bedridden after returning from her trip to search for her daughter at the detention center and died in December 2004.