Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Wu Junyang from Benxi City, Liaoning Province was an employee of the Benxi Fertilizer Plant. He died at the age of 30. In 1999, Mr. Wu was sentenced to two years in a labor camp because he practiced Falun Dafa. After being released from the labor camp, Mr. Wu had to leave his home to escape further persecution. He was destitute and homeless for three years. On September 18, 2004, he was again arrested by staff from the 610 Office and detained at the Benxi City Police Station, where he was tortured. His entire body was covered with cuts and bruises. One of his knees was badly injured and infected. Mr. Wu's left eye was bruised and swollen, and the white of his eyes was bloodied. Both eyes looked cloudy and he could no longer recognize people. He died on November 27, 2004.

On September 19, 2004, at 12:10 a.m., plainclothes officers Ma, Zhang, Chi, and others from the Benxi City Branch State Security Unit broke into Wu Junyang's home. They arrested him without a warrant. Wu Junyang questioned them and one of the plainclothes officers replied, "No legal process is required to arrest you." They confiscated a laptop computer. The Benxi City 610 head Chen Zhongwei and Liu Shaoshi organized a manhunt for practitioners and arrested more than 50 steadfast Falun Dafa practitioners that night.

On September 19, 2004, at around 5 a.m., Qianjin Police Station staff asked Mr. Wu's family for 500 yuan. They claimed that Wu Junyang needed to see doctors for his headache. When his family came to the police station to pay the 500 yuan, they were asked to sign the detention document issued by the Benxi City Pingshan Public Security Sub-bureau. The notice claimed that on September 19, 2004, the bureau arrested Wu Junyang, charging him with "organizing and using cults to disrupt the execution of legal processes." They detained him at the Benxi City Detention Center. The case officers' were Yu Dongqing and Jing Baozhong.

Mr. Wu's family asked the Qianjin Police Station staff if they could take him to the hospital for a check-up, and the police asked them to wait. At around 7, the police said that Wu Junyang was fine and no longer needed to go to the hospital. His family then asked the police to insure his safety under their care, and the police told them that he would be given a physical exam by the detention center, and that the family would be notified of any further problems. Then they took Wu Junyang to the detention center. Two days later, the Qianjin Police Station returned 370 of the 500 yuan originally paid for a hospital visit, after charging 130 yuan for "baggage handling costs."

On November 16, 2004, the Qianjin Police Station informed Wu's family that Mr. Wu's health had worsened and that it was necessary for them to come and get him. A police officer at Qianjin Police Station said, "Since your family is going through financial difficulties, we will not ask you for additional money. We just want to make sure that he is with you." Mr. Wu's family agreed that they would sign the medical release after seeing him. Qianjin Police Station officers agreed and said that they would get medical treatment for him. On the way to the hospital, the driver who was taking the family received a call and returned to the Qianjin Police Station. The police told the family members that they must sign first, and then they would be allowed to see him. The family members were anxious to see Wu and signed the document. The police said that it was out of their hands and that they were taking orders from the Benxi City State Security Unit.

On November 16 at 5 p.m., an officer finally took the family members to the emergency center of the No. 2 Hospital. They found Wu Junyang in a bed outside the emergency room. His face was bluish. His eyes were sunken, the left eye was swollen, and the white of his eyes was bloodied.

Mr. Wu's family members asked the policemen in the hospital corridor about the blood in his eyes. One of them replied: "He got too anxious and suffered some inflammation." The family members didn't accept this explanation, but the policeman turned his head and did not say anything more. Another policeman handed the medical release document from Benxi Detention Center to his family, which read: "Suspect charged with organizing and using cults to disrupt the execution of legal processes. Suspect was detained on September 19, 2004. Medical release granted. Free on bail and awaiting trial."

After the family members finished reading the release document, they wanted to ask more about Wu's health condition, but the policemen had disappeared. Then, straining to make himself heard, Wu Junyang asked for water. Wu Junyang said that the police had not given him any water, and that in the detention center people beat him, twisted his arms, struck him in the eyes, and stabbed him with a sharp object.

Mr. Wu's family members asked him if he had received the food they had sent to him, and he said that he had not. His family asked the doctor whether he had been checked and the doctor said: "No." His family members did not have any money with them, but Wu Junyang insisted on going home. He did not want them to spend money on his medical care. At that point, the cotton-padded trousers he was wearing and the bed were wet. The family had no choice but to take him home.

After returning home, they changed Wu Junyang's clothes. They found that his body was covered with bruises, the left side of his body was paralyzed, and his left hand was balled up into a fist that would not open. Wu Junyang told them that the prisoners also tortured him. Even when he was in bed, somebody would hit him from behind. He became incontinent and was not allowed to wear pants. Wu Junyang said that Yang Guangping and Wang Ping were prisoners who beat him.

Wu Junyang was covered with injuries. He was emaciated and almost unrecognizable. The left side of his chest was swollen, and the skin above two of his ribs was blue and purple. There was a fist-sized lesion on the outside of his lower left leg, and his tailbone was a black color. His urine was dark purple. His inner legs had bruises on them, and his feet were red and swollen. The worst was that he had lost his eyesight.

Half an hour after Wu returned home, he passed out. After he woke up, he could speak only with great effort. The family members learned about his 56 days of suffering when he was able to talk. Wu Junyang pointed at his head, eyes, chest and private area with his right hand, and said: "They beat me. It was two months of torture that a normal person could not endure."

For the next ten days Wu spent at home, he did not leave his bed. It took every ounce of his strength to speak. After that, he became uncommunicative and lay in bed, oblivious of everything around him. His tongue turned white and festered. He became delirious and whimpered incoherently.

On November 25, 2004, he had a bowel movement for the first time since he came home, which took four hours. Then he started getting a fever. On the night of the 26th, his fever reached 40 degrees Celsius. On November 27, 2004, at about 2 a.m., Wu Junyang had difficulty breathing, and his family called an ambulance. By the time the ambulance arrived, Wu Junyang had already stopped breathing. He was only 30 years old.

Wu Junyang's family could not forget his three painful cries before he passed away. His eyes were open, but he no longer could see.

On November 25, 2004, Wu's family went to the detention center and wanted to know more about Wu Junyang's illness. They wanted to know about the injuries they noticed all over his body. They hoped that the detention center would shed light on what happened. Liu Xianglong, the deputy director of the detention center, pretended to know nothing about the incident and promised to investigate further. He still has not come back to the family with a response.

When Liu was asked about the clothes the family had brought, he said that Wu Junyang could not take care of himself, and he urinated in his pants. Therefore, the staff at the center threw the clothes away. Liu also alleged that many policemen brought shirts and pants for Wu Junyang. Liu asked a policeman to bring over sugar and milk powder that was supposedly allocated to Wu Junyang, as well as a set of old military cotton-padded clothes and shirt for him.

A month after Wu Junyang died, his family went to the detention center to pick up the remaining money Wu Junyang had not used. The staff of detention center said that there were only 24 yuan left. The family members said Wu Junyang had told them he had nearly 300 yuan and asked to see records of how the money was spent. The detention center could only produce a receipt of 110 yuan spent, and then a policeman said that they spent money to buy shirts, pants and necessities for Wu Junyang. When the family members pointed out that they sent all of those things to Wu, the police could not explain where it went, and finally refunded the family 290 yuan.

On November 22, 2004, Mr. Wu's family members went to the Appeal and Investigation Section of the City Prison Supervision and Inspection Center. They presented their case and detailed the treatment Wu Junyang received in the detention center. They have not received any response so far.