(Clearwisdom.net) Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Li Honglan, 41, lives in Huangliu Village, Huangkou Town, Wuqing District, Tianjin City. After April 25, 1999, the local officials started persecuting Li Honglan. Between 1999 and 2003, officers from the Wuqing District Detention Center, the Cuihuangkou Town Police Department and the village Party officials, including Ma Xueyi, Ma Hongwu, Xiao Guangchen and Xiao Wenyu, constantly harassed Li Honglan at her home. They ransacked her home, detained her, fined her and tortured her. They electrically shocked her through a wired telephone, force-fed her, slapped her face and forced her to stand in a military posture. They tried to make Li Honglan give up her belief in Falun Dafa.

Li Honglan started practicing Falun Gong in June 1997. She learned the meaning of life through practicing Falun Dafa. She conducted herself according to Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance, and her family lived in harmony. She and her family were severely oppressed during the persecution.

After April 25, 1999, the officials started monitoring Li Honglan. They tapped her home phone, and village officials followed her every day. After the persecution began in July 1999, village officials including Ma Xueyi, Ma Hongwu and Xiao Wenyu staked out the village entrance. They stopped Li Honglan when she left the village, inquired about her destination and followed her. In the evening, about seven officials went to Li Honglan's home and watched the practitioners studying the Fa in the courtyard. In the morning they watched the practitioners doing the exercises. Li, head of the Economics Committee, demanded that Li Honglan hand over Dafa books and lecture cassettes. Li Honglan refused. Officials from the town government then threatened and intimidated her.

In mid-June 1999, about six officials including Ma Zehu, Xiao Wenyu and Ma Yugui went to Li Honglan's home. Ma Zehu took out a newspaper and read the news in front of Li Honglan. He said after he finished reading, "Our superiors sent us here."

At around 8:00 p.m. on July 17, Li Honglan's home phone was disconnected while she was using it.

In the morning of July 18, Ma Hongwu, an official from the village security committee, told Li Honglan to report to the town government "for a meeting." Most Falun Gong practitioners in Huangkou Town were told to attend a meeting at the town government. After the meeting the officials demanded the practitioners publicly renounce Falun Gong. Some practitioners refused. The officials phoned their families, and some went to beat and pressure the practitioners. They didn't let the practitioners go home until they wrote a guarantee statement. More than ten practitioners were detained at the town government. Officials assaulted and threatened them. In the evening, the officials made each of the practitioners stand in front of a tree in the yard without moving, so that the mosquitoes could feast on them.

In the afternoon of July 18, the town government sent more than ten perpetrators to ransack Li Honglan's home in the rain. They took three of Master's pictures, four pictures of the Falun emblem, one copy of Lunyu, one small picture of Master, and one hand-written copy of Zhuan Falun. On the evening of July 18, Li Honglan was still held at the town government. They forced her to bend over and stay in that position.

Early on the morning of July 19, the officials put practitioners Li Honglan and Yang Suyun in the trunk of a car. They drove these two practitioners and two other practitioners, Meng Zhaoying and Wen Xiuzhen, to the Wuqing District Detention Center. They were held there for seven days with the fabricated charge of "disrupting public order." The detention center charged them 63 yuan when the practitioners' families took them home.

After Li Honglan was detained, her husband Wang Youlian was taken to the police department. Li Hongxin, head of the police department, beat him. Their seven-year-old son was left home uncared for. After Li Honglan was released from the detention center, Cui Weixian, an officer from the Cuihuangkou Town Police Department, made her report to the police daily and write her daily "understandings," trying to force her to renounce Falun Gong.

On September 8, Li Honglan went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. She returned home on the evening of September 9 and was summoned by personnel from the Cuihuangkou Police Department. Lu Jian, deputy head of the police department, and police officer Yang Yongli vehemently slapped her face. The next morning, police officer Wang Shoucheng shocked her with electric batons for over thirty minutes. Afterwards, he made her squat without moving. He said, "I'll make you squat like this until you collapse and die."

On September 10, Li Honglan was sent to a brainwashing session held at the Cuihuangkou Town government and was detained there for seven days. She was forced to read Dafa-slandering articles and write so-called "understanding" statements.

Late at night on September 16 she was charged with "jeopardizing the social administrative order" and detained at the Wuqing District Detention Center for fifteen days. The arrest warrant was signed on September 13. Authorities from the Wuqing District Detention Center refused to release her at the end of fifteen days. They detained her for another ten days under the same false charge. They explained that they were afraid she would go to Beijing during the October 1 national holiday to appeal for Falun Gong. Ten days later they still refused to release her and claimed because she went home nine days early after being detained on July 19, 1999, she must be detained for nine more days. She was eventually released on October 25. The detention center authorities extorted 576 yuan from her before letting her go, which means they charged 14 yuan for each day of detention.

More than 100 practitioners are held at the detention center. Each cell holds between 15 and 19 practitioners. The practitioners cannot turn over when sleeping because the room is overcrowded. After 34 days of detention, Li Honglan was sent to the Cuihuangkou Town Police Department About eight practitioners were held at the police department. The practitioners are forced to stand against a wall or be subjected to brainwashing each day.

On October 27, two practitioners went to Beijing to appeal and were arrested. They protested the unlawful detention at the police department. Local police officer Cui Weixian went to Li Honglan and asked her, "What do you think about the two practitioners going to Beijing to appeal?" She said, "There is nothing wrong with it! It's their right as guaranteed by the constitution."

Li Honglan and her uncle Li Shuzhong, also a Falun Gong practitioner, were held at the police department during the day and were allowed to go home at night. They were forced to stand against a wall at noon and mop the floor, clean the yard, clean cars and cook.

On the morning of November 13, Li Honglan went to the police department. Her uncle Li Shuzhong told her with tears in his eyes that he was not allowed to go home the night before. The police put wires on his thumbs and electrically shocked him through a hand-cranked telephone. They forced him to give up Dafa practice before allowing him to go home. Li Honglan was held at the police department for 25 days, until November 23. She was forced to report to the police department daily until December 31.

In October 1999, local officer Cui Weixian confiscated Li Honglan's ID and never returned it. After July 20, 1999, Cui Weixian and security officer Ma Hongwu often harassed her at her home. They pressured the division officials to "reform" her. Xiao Guangchen, secretary of the Bureau's Party Committee and Ma, the village head, often phoned her and disrupted Li Honglan's life.

On August 19, 2000, Li Honglan went to Cuihuangkou Town to clarify the truth and distribute truth clarification materials. Persecutors Ma Wenqiang and Qi Junzhen reported her. (These two people have since received karmic retribution). Three days later, police officers Cui Weixian, Du and three others broke into Li Honglan's home. They didn't show their IDs and ransacked her home. They took 13 Dafa books, two sets of Master's Fa lecture cassettes given in Dalian City and Guangzhou City, and they took Li Honglan to the police department. On August 22, she was illegally detained at Wuqing District Detention Center and was held there for thirty days. She was extorted 420 yuan upon release.

During the detention, the center authorities took Li Honglan and Liu Chengjun, also a practitioner, to the Wuqing District Party School Brainwashing Center. The perpetrators designated a specific seat to a practitioner who is to be "reformed." Liu Liang, secretary of the Cuihuangkou Town Political and Judiciary Committee, police officer Cui Weixian and head of the Cuihuangkou Town Women's Committee sat next to the practitioners. Many security officers stayed inside and outside of the conference room. They played videos that slandered Master and Dafa. Several collaborators spoke, and the practitioners were divided into groups to be "reformed." The practitioners were later sent to the Wuqing District Detention Center.

On December 1, 2000, Li Honglan and Yang Suyun went to visit practitioner Zhou Zuoxia, who had just been released from a labor camp. Zhou Zuoxia had been "reformed" at the labor camp, and he phoned the police department to report the practitioners' visit. Before Li Honglan had arrived at home, Ma Hongwu and Cui Weixian led about eight police officers to ransack her home and took two Falun Dafa exercise audiocassette tapes. Li Honglan was arrested when she got home and was taken to the police department and interrogated. Li Honglan and Yang Suyun refused to cooperate with the renewed detention and refused to sign the documents. The police officers said that they could send the practitioners to a detention center, even without their signature. They charged Li Honglan with "inciting and disrupting the social order" and detained her for fifteen days. She was extorted out of 240 yuan before going home.

On December 16, 2000 Li Honglan's family took her home. Ma Hongwu, the village security officer, also went to her home. He said to Li Honglan and her family, "The town government said you can't come home. You have to go to the brainwashing session held by the town government." Then he took her to the brainwashing session. More than ten practitioners were already being held there. They were forced to clean the building including the staircase, pull weeds and unload merchandise on a daily basis. In the evening they were driven into the courtyard without any warm clothes on. Each practitioner was taken to a room on the third floor with the lights off, where about five perpetrators viciously beat the practitioners and demanded that they give up Dafa practice. Zhang Shushan, Liu Hongsheng, Gao Bochen and Chen Yuhua were among those who beat the practitioners.

On the evening of December 16, 2000, Li Honglan was taken to a room on the north side of the third floor. Five perpetrators told her to kneel. She refused, and they kicked her until she collapsed on the floor and cursed at her.

On the evening of December 17, 2000, Li Honglan and practitioner Zhang Xuelian were detained inside the conference room on the second floor. Overseers Zhang Shushan and other government officials forced Li Honglan and Zhang Xuelian to stand in a military posture facing the heating pipes, with their hands on the hem of their pants and their backs straight. The perpetrators put a book on each practitioner's head and hit the practitioner if the book slanted. Li Honglan stood there until she lost consciousness.

On the evening of December 18, 2000, the persecutors took Li Honglan to a dark room on the third floor where five persons, including Li, Meng Qingyong, the secretary of the Party Youth Committee and Chen Yuhua were standing. One person told Li Honglan to kneel and she refused. The persecutors kicked her and beat her. They grabbed her hair and slapped her across her face until she saw stars and her cheeks were swollen. They pushed her into the yard to expose her to the freezing weather. This lasted until early morning the next day. On December 29, Gao, the deputy secretary of the town Party committee, and Liu Liangqiang, secretary of the Political and Judiciary Committee, demanded that each practitioner give their opinion on Falun Gong and slander Falun Gong . On December 31, 2000, the division secretary bailed the practitioners out after the practitioners' families each paid 3,000 yuan "guarantee" money. The money was never returned.

In January 2001, Lu Jian, deputy head of the police department, and police officer Cui Weixian broke into Li Honglan's home once again. Without presenting any ID, they ransacked her home and confiscated two Dafa books. They took her to the police department and electrically shocked her with a telephone. They forced her to take off her socks and tied both ends of the electric wire to her big toes before they cranked the telephone. Li Honglan confronted the police about the torture. Lu Jian and Cui Weixian slapped her face and said, "You are tortured because you gave people truth clarification materials." They held her at the police department for seven days, during which time she remained at the police department during the day and returned home at night. They didn't find any incriminating evidence against her, so they finally let her go home.

At around 1:00 p.m. on September 11, 2002, Wang Shuwang, the new deputy head of the police department, and police officer Cui Weixian led eight officers and broke into Li Honglan's home. They entered the yard and locked the door. They barged inside the home and ransacked it. Li Honglan confronted them and tried to stop this criminal act. Wang Shuwang ordered two officers named Li Shui and Sun Zhigang to watch her and not allow her to move. The police continued to ransack her home. During this time, practitioner Gao Ling arrived to visit. The police then opened the door. They pulled Gao Ling inside and locked the door behind her. They asked her why she was visiting Li Honglan. They didn't find anything they wanted, and the neighbors denounced them. Nevertheless, they took Li Honglan to the police department. Wang Shuwang forbade Li Honglan's relatives to call her husband to inform him about her arrest and the ransacking.

On the evening of September 11, 2002, the officers again tried to ransack Li Honglan's home but didn't succeed. At 5:00 a.m. the next day, the officers did break into her home and went through everything. They opened eight sealed wheat storage bins, which caused the wheat to grow mold, and rats ate the wheat. At 6:00 a.m., Li Honglan's ten-year-old son was trying to go to school. Wang Shuwang forbade him to open the door. He pushed the child inside a room, but the child insisted on leaving. Wang Shuwang threatened to take him to the police department. The child was frightened and fell ill. He could not go to school that day. On the second day Li Honglan was held at the police department, Liu Weimin, the new head of police department, got drunk. He put his legs on the office desk and used vulgar language to intimidate and verbally attack Li Honglan. Wang Zhenguo, head of the Coordination Division, stood beside Liu Weimin. He screamed at Li Honglan and threatened to physically harm her.

On the evening of September 13, the police officers sent Li Honglan, who hadn't eaten or consumed any fluids for two days, to the Wuqing District Detention Center, to be held for thirty days. They charged her with "disrupting the social order and jeopardizing the social administration." Li Honglan held a hunger strike at the detention center to protest the persecution and requested unconditional release. On the seventh day of her hunger strike the detention center authorities force-fed her through a thick tube inserted into her nose and stomach. Cui Zonghai, the political head, doctors Cheng and Ji, and several others took part in force-feeding. She was released after forty days of a hunger strike. She was extorted out of 420 yuan and more than 50 yuan for a "medical fee" upon her release.

On March 18, 2003, Cui Weixian and his assistant Mao went to Li Honglan's home again. Cui Weixian tricked her into going to the police department and later sent her to Wuqing District Detention Center. On the seventh day, the district hospital sent a group of doctors to force-feed her until her nose bled and she vomited for a long time. She was released after eight days of detention.