Around 7 a.m. on August 24, Jilin City National Security 3rd Brigade Captain Di Shigang and policeman Xu Luqing from Shuangji Police Station in the Changyi District, Jilin City and others broke into the home of Dafa practitioner Ms. Yang Lijuan. On August 25, Ms. Yang's home was ransacked and she was illegally arrested and taken to the nearby Guoyao Police Vice Squad for interrogation and torture lasting more than 30 hours, (ending at 1 p.m.). Next she was sent to the 3rd Detention Center in Jilin City. At 2 p.m. on September 23, the Shuangji Police Station, located in Changyi District, Jilin City, sent her to the Heizuizi Women's Labor Camp in Changchun City, Jilin Province, where she was sentenced to one year and six months in a forced labor camp

At 7 a.m. on August 24, four police deputies, including Jilin City National Security 3rd Brigade Captain Di Shigang, policeman Xu Luqing from the Shuangji Police Station in Changyi District, Jilin City, one female deputy and others, tricked Yang Ms. Yang's mother into opening the door. Captain Di Shigang then pointed at his badge and screamed at the 81 year-old lady, "Remember my name! I am Di Shigang, and I am the one who arrested your daughter!"

The police removed Dafa books, truth clarifying pamphlets, a digital camera, six MP3 players, five PDAs, and 1,000 yuan in cash. When Yang's mother tried to take her money back from the police, a female deputy seized it back from her even though she had pleaded for it, explaining that it was her livelihood. The police did not give her any receipt for the personal property they seized.

The police forced Yang Lijuan to go with them to the nearby Guoyao Vice Squad office without allowing her to take a coat. They interrogated and tortured her on the 2nd floor by first pouring mustard solution into her mouth for 5-6 hours before they went to lunch. They resumed torturing her after returning from lunch, including forcing her to sit on a steel chair, handcuffing her behind the back with one arm wrapped over her shoulder (resulting in a permanent scar as thick as a little finger), pulling her hair, slapping her face, using an electric baton to shock her face (resulting in scabs on her face for months afterwards), pressing her ankle with wooden sticks, etc. Yang Lijuan was overwhelmed by the torture and suffered a mental breakdown.

After a month of detention, her family could see that she had suffered a great deal of mental stress. The hoodlums sent Ms. Yang to the 3rd Detention Center in Jilin City at 1 p.m. on August 25. At 2 p.m. on September 23, she was transferred to the Heizuizi Women's Labor Camp in Changchun City, Jilin Province for one year and six months of forced labor.

Policeman Xu Luqing from the Shuangji Police Station in Jilin City participated in the abduction, ransacking, torture and interrogation operations against Ms. Yang. He even deceived her family by telling them that Ms. Yang would be released, while in fact he was preparing to transfer her to the Heizuizi Women's Labor Camp.

Between August 25 and September 23, Ms. Yang's parents, in their 80's, visited all the relevant authorities. They appealed to many people and departments for help, including Di Shigang, the captain of the 3rd National Security Brigade, people at the 3rd Detention Center in Jilin City, the Shuangji Police Station, and Deputy Yang Jianxin at the Changyi District Public Security Bureau. All of their appeals were met with harsh replies and cruel treatment. The Shuangji Police Station even lied to them, saying that Ms. Yang would be released on September 25, even though they had already sentenced Ms. Yang to one year and six months in a labor camp at 2 p.m. on September 23.

After Ms. Yang's family learned that she had been sentenced to the labor camp, they went to Heizuizi Women's Labor Camp to visit her. They found out that Ms. Yang, who used to be a good singer and dancer, appeared to be mentally unstable; her hair was cut very short and her eyes were staring into space. This state was the result of extensive torture, brainwashing and sleep deprivation. One of the deputies named Wang claimed that Ms. Yang was mentally unstable, and nobody wanted to get close to her. Even though Ms. Yang had only one daughter, she told others that she had two children. Her condition improved after her family visited her again.

The sentencing documents handed to Ms Yang's family by the Shuangji Police Station show that the police first abducted her, then ransacked her home and forged evidence. Deputies who participated in the operation took possession of Ms. Yang's personal property, including one digital camera, five PDAs, six MP3 players and about 1,000 yuan in cash.

(Correction: Due to the severe persecution still ongoing in China as well as the information blockade, an earlier report citing the torture of Ms. Yang by nailing bamboo stick underneath her fingernails and hanging her by her thumbs was found to be incorrect after further verification.)

October 18 2005