Ms. Guo Sulan was from Group No. 1 of Kuzhu Village in Xinhua Town of Tongnan County, Chongqing City. After Guo Sulan and her family started practicing Falun Dafa in 1997, she and her husband, Kuang Shitai, were able to finally recover from the loss of their son. They became healthy and happy. However, after the persecution against Falun Gong began in July 1999, this family has suffered many tribulations. They have been arrested twelve times and detained and harassed many times. Later the couple and their daughter were sentenced to forced labor. Guo Sulan was eventually tortured to death, and her husband is currently being tortured in the Xishanping Labor Camp. Their daughter, Kuang Wenying, was forced to leave home to avoid further persecution. There is no one at home and their land is uncultivated.

The whole family was detained

Late at night on January 26, 2000, Zhang Fu, director of the Xinhua Town Police Station, and Li Cunxiao, secretary of the village committee, led others and broke into Kuang Shitai's home. They took Kuang Shitai to the police station and forced him to denounce Falun Gong. After he refused, he was transferred to the first division of the county Public Security Bureau on January 27. The director, Zhang Liang, incited about eight people to hold him down on the ground, and they confiscated the book Zhuan Falun and around 50 Yuan (1) in cash from him. He was detained for fifteen days and released on February 10. He was forced to acknowledge in writing that he owed 75 Yuan for living expenses to the detention center.

On the morning of January 27, 2000, Zhang Fu transferred Kuang Shitai to the first division of the county Public Security Bureau. At 1:00 pm that day, he led over thirty people, and once again broke into Kuang's home and ransacked the house for over one hour. They took away three Dafa books and three tapes. Xiao Changrui ruined the portrait of Teacher. Guo Sulan and her daughter, Kuang Wenying, were taken to the Xinhua Town Police Station to denounce Falun Gong. They refused, and were detained until past 11:00 p.m. that night.

On February 28, 2000, not long after Kuang Shitai was released, the town authorities called him in the morning and deceived him into going to the town office. They then took him to the county Public Security Bureau for the second time. Policeman Zhang Liang and others once again put him into a detention center for so-called "surveillance housing." In mid-June, under strong protests from Kuang's family, Zhang Liang agreed to release him if he paid 1,000 Yuan. Guo Sulan rejected his request. He then asked for 500 Yuan, and still was rejected. Unable to extort money from Kuang's family, Zhang Liang detained Kuang until the end of June.

On March 2, 2000, three days after Kuang Shitai was detained, Zhang Fu and others broke into Kuang's home at 10:00 p.m. Once again they took Guo Sulan and her daughter to the police station and forced them to promise in written form not to practice Falun Gong. The mother and daughter said, "Falun Dafa is good. After practicing it, we became healthier and our family is more harmonious. Practicing Falun Gong is not violating the law." Zhang Fu replied, "You can say Falun Dafa is good. But Jiang says it is bad. He said that you cannot practice it, and that you should stop. Otherwise it is violating the law. Jiang is the law. We are under his power. We have no other choice." He also threatened them with handcuffs and electric batons. Policeman Ding Bing insulted Teacher and Dafa. He handcuffed them tightly in order to force them to denounce Falun Gong, but they still refused. At 2:00 p.m. the next day, they were taken to the first division of the county Public Security Bureau. Zhang Liang said, "Your whole family can practice in the detention center." Later Guo and her daughter were also taken to the detention center. Her husband, Kuang Shitai, was next door. It was the season to plant rice but no one was at home to take care of the farm. Guo was so worried that she could not eat or sleep. When she was released on March 19, 2000, she was very underweight due to the stress of the detention. She was forced to acknowledge that she owed 150 Yuan for living expenses in the detention center.

One person shoulders all housework, nine days without eating or drinking

In mid-April 2000, one month after Guo Sulan and her daughter Kuang Wenying were released, Kuang Wenying went to appeal in Beijing and was taken back home on April 18, 2000. After interrogation, Zhang Liang fabricated paperwork and sentenced her to one and a half years in Chongqing City's Maojiashan Women's Labor Camp. With both her husband and daughter detained, Guo Sulan shouldered all the house and farming work. She was exhausted. Besides worrying about her family, town officials constantly harassed her. They attempted to extort 5,000 Yuan from her with the excuse that is was for transportation fees spent to collect Kuang Wenying from Beijing. They also threatened to take away her house. Zhang Liang took over 300 Yuan when Kuang Wenying was arrested, and on June 9, 2000, Kuang Wenying was forced to pay 200 Yuan without being given a receipt.

In early July 2000, about ten days after Kuang Shitai was released from "surveillance housing," Zhang Fu once again arrested him and detained him for fifteen days. He was not released until the end of July. He was forced to acknowledge that he owed 75 Yuan for living expenses in the detention center.

In early August 2000, about ten days after Kuang Shitai was released from his third detention, Zhang Fu led others to arrest him. He was forced to leave home to avoid further persecution.

Guo Sulan was a small person. She not only needed to do all the work (farm four acres of field, and raise fowl and other domestic animals), but also suffered constant harassment. One day in September, perpetrators forced her to denounce Falun Gong; otherwise they threatened to send her to the Tianyuan brainwashing class. Seeing the several hundred pounds of peanuts that were drying in the yard, which she had spent so much effort to harvest, she reluctantly signed her name on the form denouncing Falun Gong. Gradually her health became worse. At last her whole body became swollen. The people who had harassed her came again but snuck away upon hearing that she was so ill. It was very hot, and Guo Sulan had to lie on the ground without eating or drinking for nine days. She finally recovered but remained very weak.

The whole family was forced to leave home

On January 21, 2001, when Kuang Shitai had just returned home after being away for five months, he was reported on by his neighbor Kuang Zongbai. The next day (the Chinese New year's Eve) Zhang Fu and other local officials surrounded Kuang Shitai's house and his relatives' houses. Kuang Shitai managed to escape but was once again forced to leave home to avoid being persecuted. When other families were celebrating Chinese New Year, Kuang's family and relatives were harassed. On the first day of the Chinese New Year, many police surrounded his house, trying to arrest Kuang Shitai. His relatives said, "You are too outrageous. It is the New Year!" The deputy director of the village Xiao Changrui, said "If we are outrageous, we will send his whole family to a labor camp!" Kuang Shitai no longer dared to go home, and left his wife alone for almost a year.

After suffering inhumane torture in the Maojiashan Women's Labor Camp for one year, Kuang Wenying's term was illegally extended for an additional six months. On October 19, 2001, Zhang Fu and Xinhua Town Party Secretary Liu took her back to the Tongnan Detention Center. On the afternoon of November 15, 2001, after ten days of hunger strike, Kuang Wenying finally managed to escape. But only four days later, on November 19, Zhang Fu and others once again forcibly took her to the Xinhua Town Police Station. Party Secretary Liu forced her to denounce Falun Gong but she refused. She was detained until 11:00 p.m. that night.

On November 30, 2001, just ten days after Kuang Wenying was released and returned home, the head of the town Ji Hongguang and three other people broke into her house and attempted to detain her again. She managed to escape and was forced to leave home. Unable to find Kuang Wenying, they insulted her mother, Guo Sulan, and searched everywhere in their house and their neighbor's house. They broke the only radio the family had, and stayed there many days before they finally left.

The endless harassment caused the family to separate. Guo Sulan became increasingly weak until she could no longer walk, and was very thin and unable to care for herself. Finally with her relatives' help, she left home to look for her husband.

In June 2000, Guo Sulan found her husband and started practicing Dafa again. Her health improved daily. They were homeless but at least they were together. But they still did not know where their daughter was.

Torture continues even after the family is separated

On the night of October 30, 2002, when Guo Sulan and her husband Kuang Shitai were posting stickers printed with "Falun Dafa is good" in Tongnan Boshuping, they were taken to the Tongnan's Zhengxing Street Police Station. Policeman Zhang Liang interrogated them while physically torturing them. Kuang Shitai remained unconscious for five hours as a result of the severe beating. Guo Sulan also fell unconscious after being slapped by policeman Li Hengyi. She was not allowed to eat or drink, put on more clothes, or sleep, for two days. They also threatened her by saying that they had arrested her daughter and that she would be sentenced. While suffering severe torture herself, Guo Sulan worried about her husband and daughter. When she was sent to the detention center, she was shivering, hungry and thirsty, and unable to speak. She was not allowed to study the Fa or do the exercises. Unable to eat and drink, she later developed diarrhea, swollen feet, and fatigue. She became very thin, and after being detained for over a month, her weight dropped from 90 Jin (99 lbs.) to only 50 jin (55 lbs.).

One month later, on about November 25, 2002, Zhang Liang and others fabricated paperwork and sent Guo Sulan and Kuang Shitai to a forced labor camp (one year for Guo and two years for Kuang). At the transition station in Chongqing Forced Labor Camp, the doctor saw that Guo Sulan was extremely weak and bony, with blood pressure of 220 mmhg, so he refused to take Guo Sulan.

When the police took Guo Sulan back to Tongnan Detention Center, she was unable to walk. They ordered one female criminal to take her to a cell, and continued the detention and torture until her life was in grave danger. In mid-December, they asked Kuang Zongbai to take her back. Upon seeing that she was critically ill, Kuang Zongbai was afraid that she would die and he would be responsible for it. He refused to take her. Finally Guo Sulan's younger brother Guo Zhigang took her to his home.

As a result of the severe torture, Guo Sulan had heart problems, pain all over her body, diarrhea, fatigue, and swelling. She even had trouble using the toilet. After being tortured for one year, she passed away at noon on November 3, 2003.

Guo Sulan's husband Kuang Shitai was being tortured in Chongqing's Xishanping Labor Camp when she died. Her brother called to request permission for Kuang Shitai to see his wife for the last time. But the camp authorities hid all the information. Kuang Shitai still does not know that his wife has died.

On November 6, 2003, Kuang Wenying came back to attend her mother's funeral. After she just received her mother's body, the perpetrators came to arrest her that night. With help from villagers, she was able to leave home once again. The town officials extorted 3,500 Yuan as a funeral fee from her relatives and neighbors.

A harmonious family is now shattered

This case has been documented on "Fa Wang Hui Hui" (http://www.fawanghuihui.org/, a Chinese website that collects lists of Falun Gong persecutors in China) and Clearwisdom. It has drawn attention from all over the world. The "World Organization to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong " is investigating the case. After all of the details are gathered and organized, it will be submitted to the International Court of Justice, the principal judicial body of the United Nations.

People who are directly involved in the torture: Zhang Fu, in his thirties. He was appointed as the director of the Xinhua Town Police Station before 2002. Now he is working at the Longxing Town Police Station. Xinhua Town Police Station phone #: 86-23-44218541

Zhang Liang is forty-one years old. He is the director and policeman in Tongnan County National Security Team.

Ding Bing is in his twenties. He was a policeman in Xinhua Town Police Station in 2000.

Kuang Zongbai is in his fifties. He was the director of the Kuzhu village. He shares the same yard with Guo Sulan. He secretly monitored and reported on her. His home phone #: 86-23-44218743.

Li Cunxiao was the secretary of the Kuzhu village. He lives at the third team of Kuzhu Village

Xiao Changrui is in his forties. He is the assistant director of the Xinhua Town's Honghua Village and known for his vicious persecution of Falun Gong.

Liang Ming lives at the fifth team of Kuzhu Village.

Li Hengyi is in his forties. He is a policeman in Tongnan National Security Team and assistant to Zhang Liang.

Huang Quansheng is in his thirties. He is the director of the Tongnan County Detention Center.

Cai Ping, Li Longyun, and Liu Yongjian are members of Tongnan County "610 Office."

Zhou Jun is the director of the Tongnan Detention Center

Xu Xiangyang is the assistant director of the Tongnan Detention Center


(1) Yuan is the Chinese currency. The average monthly salary of an urban worker in China is 500 Yuan.

August 1, 2004