Summary of Other Articles and News - April 21, 2004
Facts of the Persecution
1) Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Liu Zhaoqin, a retired teacher in the Qingyunpu District, Nanchang City, Jiangxi Province escaped from a labor camp after more than three years of detention. Soon after her escape, Liu Zhaoqin was again abducted and was held at the Qingyunpu Detention Center for more than one year. She held a hunger strike for six months to protest the illegal detention. In 2004, the Qingyunpu Court sentenced her to three years of forced labor. Liu Zhaoqin appealed, but Tu Chunjian, the Qingyunpu Court judge added two years to her original sentence, which is against the law. The law mandates that a person's sentence must remain the same or be reduced after an appeal is reviewed, but cannot be extended.
2) My name is Zhang Shuping and I am a Dafa practitioner in Baoding City, Hebei Province. After July 20, 1999, the police often harassed me and ordered me to write a "guarantee statement" [to renounce Falun Dafa]. On January 1, 2002, a group of police officers broke into my home and took me to the township government, where they held me for one day and then sent me to a brainwashing class. I escaped from the class three days later and was forced to leave home to avoid arrest. In 2003, I was again arrested and was sent to a county detention center, but I escaped with the power of my righteous thoughts.
3) Dafa practitioner Liu Jinling, a retired employee of Handan City's Post Office, was abducted on April 1, 2004 and was sent to a brainwashing class at the Handan Labor Camp where she is still being held. The perpetrators do not allow her family to visit her.
4) My name is Zhang Lianfen and I am a 35-year-old Falun Gong practitioner in Fuping County, Hebei Province. In the past few years I went to Beijing three times to appeal for Falun Dafa and was detained four times. The corrupt police extorted 83,000 Yuan (1) from me. I am a farmer and couldn't afford the fine, so I was forced to borrow money. Dictator Jiang has brought tremendous disaster upon my family, including financial and psychological pressure.
5) In April 2000, police officers from Baochi County, Tianjin City accused Dafa practitioner Bai Dianshuang of transporting Dafa books with his private car. As an act of punishment, they abducted Bai Dianshuang and sent him to the Baochi County Detention Center. They extorted money and belongings worth about 200,000 Yuan from Bai Dianshuang's home and unlawfully sentenced Bai Dianshuang to three years in prison and four years of probation.
6) In October 2001, police abducted Dafa practitioner Ms. Song Meilan, a former employee of Panjiang Chemical Factory in Guizhou Province, when she distributed truth clarification materials. She was held at a detention center for three months and then she spent one year at the Zhongba Female Labor Camp, where she was physically and mentally tortured. After her release, the perpetrators from the Qingzhen City Police Department and from the "610 Office" (2) constantly harassed her and she was forced to leave home to avoid further persecution.
7) Dafa practitioner Ms. Ji Shiju is 53 years old and lived in Qingzhen City, Guizhou Province. During the New Year's holiday in 2004, she was abducted when distributing truth clarification materials and was sent to the Qingzhen City Detention Center. Half a month later, the court secretly sentenced her to three years in prison, the sentence to be carried out outside of prison. Because her family monitored her at all times and the police constantly harassed her, Ji Shiju was forced to leave home.
8) During the Chinese New Year in 2004, An Zhenzhi, head of the Politics and Security Division from the Congtai District Police Department in Handan City, Hebei Province, abducted the families of Dafa practitioner Tang Hui's sister (a non-practitioner) and her relative Tang Yu, who is also a Dafa practitioner. They were not allowed family visits. Tang Yu escaped with the power of her righteous thoughts and went to Tang Hui's home and told the family about her situation. Tang Hui's mother died from overwhelming grief. She did not get to see her daughter again before she died.
Persecutors and Their Crimes
1) Recently, Cao Zhixia, head of Handan City's "610 Office" moved her office to a labor camp in order to join the labor camp guards in brainwashing determined Dafa practitioners. Dafa practitioner Wang Yan is on the brink of death because of abuse suffered in the labor camp. Dafa practitioner Han Meng from Handan City was abducted during the Lantern Festival. The abductors are officers from the Caosu Police Station in Handan City. Mr. Han was sentenced to three years of forced labor and is currently being held in the Strictly Monitored Group at the Handan Labor Camp.
3) On the evening of March 10, police officers from Changyi City, Shandong Province arrested Dafa practitioners Liu Shuzhen, Yang Guihong and Yang Guiping and took the practitioners to the police department. Authorities from the Changyi City Police Department's "610 Office," led by Chen Xiaodong, ransacked the homes of the three practitioners. In the afternoon they sent the three practitioners to the city detention center. They extorted 4,600 Yuan from two of the practitioners' families. The other practitioner's family could not raise the money. The two practitioners whose families paid the money were released 15 days later, and the one whose family didn't pay is still being detained.
(1) Yuan is the Chinese currency; 500 Yuan is equal to the average monthly salary of an urban worker in China.
(2) The "610 Office" is an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems.
Category: Accounts of Persecution