Mr. Chen, a 62-year-old practitioner in China, was sent to a forced labor camp for appealing for fair treatment for Falun Dafa by traveling to Beijing. On December 27, 2001, he was transferred to the notorious Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp in Changchun City, Jilin Province.

Arriving at the camp, Mr. Chen started to clarify the truth to the local officials and policemen, stating also that he did not violate any law and that he did not accept or recognize forced labor education. He stated that Dafa practitioners were good people who behave according to "Truthfulness-Benevolence-Forbearance." He refused to wear the prison nametag issued by the labor camp since he was not a criminal. Yet, the labor camp authorities did not listen to him and locked him up in a small cell.

In that small cell, one can neither stand up straight nor lie down. One can only stay in a fixed and very painful position. Also, Mr. Chen was given only one bowl of noodle soup per day. Mr. Chen was locked up in the small cell for one month straight. Even after the small cell torture, Mr. Chen still refused to wear the prison nametag. The police then threatened to extend his term until he agreed to wear it. But Mr. Chen feared nothing and kept doing what he thought he was supposed to do. He had come here and would clarify the truth about the persecution of Falun Dafa.

He looked for all the officials and policemen and told them the facts about the persecution of Dafa. He wrote letters to all the officials and guards to tell them about the benefits that Falun Gong had brought to society, as well as the consequences of persecuting Dafa and practitioners. Later, whenever the leaders in the camp heard that Mr. Chen wanted to talk to them, they would become anxious and claim they had no time to see him.

Once after Police Officer Wang Tao beat Mr. Chen severely for no reason, Mr. Chen still refused to renounce his belief and said he was ready to protect his rights by legal means, and that he was going to sue Wang Tao. Wang Tao knew he had committed a crime and was afraid of being fired. Wang asked many people to talk to Mr. Chen and eventually asked the unit chief Gao Tiecheng to talk to Mr. Chen to withdraw the lawsuit. The chief talked to Mr. Chen for an entire morning and the whole unit did not work that morning. Because of Mr. Chen's righteous thoughts and righteous actions, the evil was restrained. As a result, in the ensuing political directive named by the high level authorities as the "Battle against fortified positions," of which the purpose was to force Falun Gong practitioners in the Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp to renounce their belief, Mr. Chen was the only practitioner in Unit #6 excluded from this persecution. The camp guards confined him in a single cell and ordered two people to watch him. They tried to keep him from seeing or knowing about other practitioners being beaten and persecuted.

While I was confined with Mr. Chen, he always appeared to be firm and righteous, with the proper demeanor of a Dafa practitioner. On the day his term ended, the camp had all his paperwork prepared ahead of time and released him right on schedule. All the threats of term extensions were retracted. As he left, there was even a burst of firecrackers outside the gate, from an unknown source, to welcome him home.

February 18, 2004