Practitioners Qiao Zhongjin and Zhao Hongli from Jianping County, Liaoning Province, went on hunger strikes to protest the persecution and are now at death's door. Qiao Zhongjin originally weighed over 180 Jin (202 pounds), but is now only about 80 Jin (88 pounds). He may die at any time. Qiao Zhongjin's wife, practitioner Fu Minling, was sent to the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp for further persecution.

For lack of evidence, the prosecution phase of the proceedings against the two practitioners has been moved from the Shuangta District People's Court back to the Chaoyang City Prosecutor's Department, which is presently preparing for a second trial. The person responsible for prosecuting the two practitioners is Tan Fujun from Chaoyang City's Prosecuting Department.

Tan Fujun: 86-421-6682091 (work)

Prosecutor Liu Fei: 86-421-2961575 ext.418

On April 3, 2004, Qiao Zhongjin and his wife Fu Minling, along with Zhao Hongli, were abducted from their rented residence in Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province. Police from the Longcheng District Precinct in Chaoyang City made the arrests. The practitioners were then incarcerated in Jianping County's Detention Center. These three practitioners firmly refused to be reformed, and they went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution. Fu Minling was sent to the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp, and Qiao Zhongjin and Zhao Hongli were sent to the Wujiawa Detention Center where Qiao Zhongjin and Zhao Hongli maintained their hunger strike to protest the persecution. By May 2004, Qiao Zhongjin was suffering from edema over his entire body, but his weight, formerly over 202 pounds, dropped to not much over 88. He could die at any time.

Qiao Zhongjin's father, over 70 years old and not in good health, missed his son very much. A round trip from his home to the Wujiawa Detention Center takes about five hours. The older man, supported by his wife, went to the Wujiawa Detention Center five times. He entreated the authorities piteously to let him see his son. The personnel in charge of the detention center not only refused the old couple's plea, they even wanted to arrest them! The last time the couple went to the detention center, authorities pushed them out the door. The old man, anxious and angry, suffered a sudden stroke. He had to be hospitalized for emergency treatment and has already been in the hospital for over 20 days.

Zhao Hongli maintained his hunger strike to protest the persecution. On May 13 he developed an intestinal adhesion. He was sent to a hospital for emergency treatment and then escorted back to the Wujiawa Detention Center. Zhao Hongli's wife is unemployed. She and her two-year-old daughter are having a difficult life at home. They went to the detention center many times trying to see Zhao Hongli but were not allowed to visit him. Zhao Hongli is still on his hunger strike and is in critical condition.

Before he practiced Falun Gong, Zhao Hongli had made friends of questionable reputation. They got Zhao, who didn't know any better, involved in reselling historic relics. Zhao was caught, tried, and sentenced to eight years imprisonment. His parents asked a police officer for help to get him released from prison. This police officer swindled them and they lost everything. Zhao Hongli swore to behave well in prison so that he could get out as early as possible to kill the police officer who had swindled his parents.

He was serving his sentence in Lingyuan Prison in Liaoning Province, where one of the guards happened to be a Falun Dafa practitioner. With the help of this guard, Zhao Hongli obtained the Fa. His congenital heart disease healed without medication, and his moral character also improved substantially. He gave up the thought of retaliation. While in prison, Zhao Hongli strictly followed the principles of Falun Dafa and received many meritorious awards, including one for saving other people's lives at the risk of his own when the prison had an accident. He was released from prison in 1999, before his sentence was up.