(Clearwisdom.net) Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Liu Ziwei from Hunjiang City, Jilin Province was sent to the Changchun City Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp on October12, 2004. He had been on a hunger strike the whole time, and suffered inhuman tortures because he remained firm in his belief. Liu Ziwei died as a result of torture on December 13, 2004. The following is his story:

Mr. Liu Ziwei was 29 years old and lived in Hunjiang City. On December 10, 2004 he was illegally detained in the Changchun City Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp. Before then he had already been on a hunger strike in the police station for six days. After he was sent to the forced labor camp, Mr. Liu continued the hunger strike and shouted "Falun Dafa is great! 'Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance' is great!" He suffered inhuman torture at the hands of the police, including being confined in a solitary compartment (1), force-feeding and a method calls the "Big Hang Up"(2). After a long time, Mr. Liu's wrists were bleeding and he was hung up for another 24 hours and not allowed to sleep. The policemen also gagged him with dirty socks in order to prevent him from shouting out. They continued to do so until about 11:00 p.m. on December 13. Then they found his life was on the brink of death. Liu Ziwei died on the way to a hospital.

After that, the Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp authorities dispatched people to remove the rings from the wall where Mr. Liu was hung up in the solitary compartment cell, in order to destroy the evidence.

We call on international organizations to investigate the crimes at the Chaoyanggou Forced Labor Camp and bring the criminals to justice!

December 21, 2004


(1) Being confined in a solitary compartment: The so-called "being confined in a solitary compartment" refers to locking up a single detainee in a solitary cell, which contains a basin and a pair of handcuffs. The basin is used both for face washing and relieving oneself. One end of the handcuffs fastens to the wrist and the other end attaches to the door bars. The handcuffs can be fastened onto the door bars at three different heights. In the highest position, the detainee has to extend his or her arm upward. The middle position is at waist level. In the lowest position, the detainee can sit on the ground.

(2) "Big Hang Up": There are two forms of this torture: 1) With both hands cuffed behind the back and only the toes touching the ground, one is hung up by a rope that is tied to the handcuffs and to a metal window frame; 2) One hand of a practitioner is cuffed to one bunk bed and the other hand to another bed, and the two beds are pulled in opposite directions. The victim feels extreme pain as the body is pulled.